cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing jeep 4 wheels down or on a trailer?

thezooinperu
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone have advice on which is safer? Not experienced at this and not sure if trailers with brakes respond to my diesel air brakes. I know I can rig the jeep 4 wheels down with supplemental brakes system just not sure of the trailer option.
26 REPLIES 26

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
thezooinperu wrote:
Anyone have advice on which is safer? Not experienced at this and not sure if trailers with brakes respond to my diesel air brakes. I know I can rig the jeep 4 wheels down with supplemental brakes system just not sure of the trailer option.

Well,
You've been told all the different ideas, experiences and more. You have all kinds of choices. Some make this a lot more harder than it is. Jeeps are FLAT TOWED all over this world. And that includes anywhere from a bone stock Jeep, to ones that are extremely modified for off road use. Wear out a set of tires on a Jeep while towing it, well, believe what you like. We've owned and towed 9 different Jeeps for over 35 years and, have NEVER WORN OUT a set of tires in doing so.

And we've had all sizes, all types, and all tread patterns. Nope, none wore out while towing them. Now, one kind-a needs to think about this just a bit. If one puts say, a set of 35" either MUD terrain or, ALL terrain tires on a Jeep, specifically for off road adventuring, in anywhere from medium to EXTREME terrain, just where do you think the most WEAR and DAMAGE to any portion of the tread is going to happen, TOWING it, OR OFF ROADING?

As for BREAKING the Jeep while venturing off road, been there done that, more than once. Each time, the Jeep was either repaired on the trail or, towed back to camp where it was repaired.

This is a decision each individual needs to make. One just needs to be informed of ALL the options.

As for your "Diesel" coach and braking. This is the smartest choice you can make. About 98% of the Jeep Wranglers out there, at least the TJs and JKs, can be outfitted with the M & G Braking system. If you've not heard of it, it's a very clean, neat and effecient system for braking a toad. It was designed for Air braked coaches. There is a cylinder that fits in between your power brake unit on the toad, and the master cylinder. It has a 1/4" air line that is routed to the front of the Jeep, where a quick release air fitting set up.

All that's connected between the jeep and the coach is a short, curly air line with a mail fitting on one end and a female on the other end. There is ZERO items placed INSIDE THE JEEP. There are no robots (large and heavy) to insert at the beginning of towing and, remove at the end of towing and, try and find a place to store.

The M & G system is a ONE TIME install. It's also proportional. The more brakes you apply in the coach, the more are applied in the jeep. And, another benefit, the Jeeps brakes are NOT APPLIED with the application of either an EXHAUST BRAKE or a Jake (compression brake).
So, again, your choice.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

Dadio24
Explorer
Explorer
If I put my Jeep on a trailer, I am over weight...

DryCreek
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:

If you maintain the toad.
So far over the years I've lost a 2 differentials 4 universals, and a couple tires. had the bar come loose of the jeep, bent the frame of the jeep, and always ended putting the jeep on a trailer to get it home.

Maintenance on the trailer over 50k miles 1 tire. road hazard.
When we bought the trailer used, I upgraded the tires to load range E and installed bearing buddies, changed the lights to LEDs, never had a problem.

You loose a differential the first thing you will notice is the smoke from the two ruined front tires.

these jeeps today are not your grandpa's free wheeling hub jeeps.

here's another thought, when that jeep is up on the trailer you not have a stone chip or a broken windshield .

Why did you lose the front differential? Had you been in deep water and not drain/refilled them afterwards? I haven't had an issue with front diffs over the years, and the D30's aren't that much different than the earlier Dana's. If you feel that having lockouts extends their life you can add them on. I think there is even a kit for the newer D44's in the Rubicon. Towing it four-down, as far as the front differentials are concerned, is no different than driving it around. If you had water in the oil or low/no oil the same thing would have happened. As far as I've seen, the D30's in the YJ's and up are just as strong, or stronger than the D20's with free wheeling hubs found in the CJ's.

As far as the tow bar coming loose, did a pin fall out or a component fail? My connections seem pretty beefy, and I make sure that the hairpins are still good and tight. I carry spares in case any of them feel like they have lost their spring.

RE_Todd
Explorer
Explorer
I have an Jeep that's probably considered extreme. 02 Wrangler on full width D60 axles, 39.5 inch tall tires, Atlas transfer case, etc. If your towing a trail rig, put it on the trailer. If your towing a street vehicle, put it 4 down. I am setting up our 2016 Ford Edge for 4 down.
TinBenders
2002 Jeep Wrangler
39.5's, Atlas, D60's.

2014 Thor Chateau 35SK.
BTW, It's a Super C!!

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
mowermech wrote:

Along with those thoughts, there is the issue of doing serious off-roading (think Moab, Utah), and you break the Jeep, if you tow four down how will you get it home?
If you have a trailer, the only problem is getting it off the trail where you broke it. Then, you just load it on the trailer and go home. You can take your time to get it fixed. If you are towing four down, you might have to get it fixed before you can take it home, depending on what broke.

If you flat tow it and break it badly, you rent a trailer or a dolly to take it home. At least that's my backup plan.

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
Heisenberg wrote:
four down so simple so easy

So far over the years I've lost a 2 differentials 4 universals, and a couple tires. had the bar come loose of the jeep, bent the frame of the jeep, and always ended putting the jeep on a trailer to get it home.

When we bought the trailer used, I upgraded the tires to load range E and installed bearing buddies, changed the lights to LEDs, never had a problem.

You loose a differential the first thing you will notice is the smoke from the two ruined front tires.

here's another thought, when that jeep is up on the trailer you not have a stone chip or a broken windshield .

Along with those thoughts, there is the issue of doing serious off-roading (think Moab, Utah), and you break the Jeep, if you tow four down how will you get it home?
If you have a trailer, the only problem is getting it off the trail where you broke it. Then, you just load it on the trailer and go home. You can take your time to get it fixed. If you are towing four down, you might have to get it fixed before you can take it home, depending on what broke.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
Heisenberg wrote:

Also the advantage of a trailer is you can get a custom built trailer and bring more toys along

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Heisenberg wrote:

2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
DryCreek wrote:
Has anyone considered the reason most of us tow four down? GCVWR.

"most" don't know about that. didn't enter into my decision making. might be so for a trailer but a dolly?????????
bumpy

DryCreek
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone considered the reason most of us tow four down? GCVWR.

A trailer can add up to 1K lbs. to an already close towing limit of 5K (based on hitch found on most gassers). If you start with a CJ or YJ, you can probably be under that magic 5K. If you have a TJ, you're probably only just over that limit. If you have a JK, most likely over, and with a JKU you could be looking at close to 7K total.

Some of the longer gas Class A's are more limited than the hitch. To know for sure, subtract your GVWR from your GCWR.

If you have the available capacity, and your end destination has room to stow the trailer, and the costs to inspect/register (maybe insure) the trailer are less than the wear on your tires - that would be the best way to go.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
PatrickA51 wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
OLYLEN wrote:
no you can't backup with 4 down but haven't the need if you look ahead a bit.

LEN

well actually you can with limitations but that would be a new and controversial thread.
bumpy

LOL You ain't just "Whistling Dixie" with that statement!

well I certainly wouldn't want to start any controversy in this forum. ๐Ÿ™‚
bumpy

PatrickA51
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
OLYLEN wrote:

LEN

well actually you can with limitations but that would be a new and controversial thread.
bumpy

LOL You ain't just "Whistling Dixie" with that statement!

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
OLYLEN wrote:

LEN

bumpy