cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

experience with unlocked Verizon phones

jrs1871
Explorer
Explorer
My current phone is in its death throes and my Verizon contract has expired so I looking at the unlocked Verizon phones. Now before you start talking about Track Phone, etc., where we live Verizon is the only carrier that gives some semblance of reliable service and also works well when we are on the road. We can't get AT&T or Sprint service at home.
So I am pretty much stuck with Verizon, which I really don't have a problem with except I dislike the contract part. Since you now pay nearly full load for a replacement phone even when you are on contract, I figured I might as well pay the full phone price and skip the contract. I will stick with an Android phone probably but just thought I would get others thoughts.
20 REPLIES 20

hawkeye-08
Explorer II
Explorer II
My daughter and I purchased new all carrier smartphones direct from Motorola (we got Pure edition). My came with SIM card and I was able to activate over phone after several calls. Her phone did not come with SIM and we went to ATT store, they put SIM in and activated. Took 5 minutes and was free.

We needed new SIM cards because ours were micro in old phones and new phones needed nano. It is common to BYOD (bring your own device) now.

jrs1871
Explorer
Explorer
I am aware of the SIM card requirement. A friend bought one of the Motorola phones and I put my SIM card into her phone and it worked just fine. So I knew the phone would work, I just wasn't sure how Verizon handled a phone switch if they didn't sell it. Thanks for the replies. It gave ma a couple of more things to think about before I pull the trigger.

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
On Verizon, once your contract expires, the only reason that you'd renew was to get a subsidized phone. But, I think that's gone now, and they lock you in by selling phones on a time payment plan.

Some phones bought outside Verizon may work (e.g. Google pixel bought from Google), or you can get a used one (I mentioned Swappa as a source for used phones). Then you just move the "SIM" card from your old phone to the new - that's it, other than installing apps, moving contacts, etc. You stay on a month-to-month contract. If the new one takes a different size card, you may need to go to a VZW store and get a new one, but it doesn't require signing a new contract.

OLYLEN
Explorer
Explorer
Was at Costco the other day and was asking about the same question. The answer was get the new phone and pay by the month, then after the first payment, then second month pay the phone off. You buy the phones now no more "FREE" upgrades and don't need the contract is basically what they said. phones ranged from like $100 for old technology to $800 for the new S8.

LEN

MrWizard
yes you can

in fact many phones are NOW 'ALL CARRIER capable' and unlocked and just need the correct sim

you may have to call verizon to have it 'activated' aka switched to your account

but yes any VZW capable phone you want to use, can be purchased 3rd party and used

i bought my S4 on amazon
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
tou will have to have sim card for verizon.

jrs1871
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe I should have phrased my question a little differently. I wondered if I can buy an unlocked Verizon phone and continue to use it on my Verizon plan, just not have a contract. I have no problem with Verizon, I just would rather not be under contract anymore. I am somewhat considering at Motorola Moto 4G.

Nick-B
Explorer
Explorer
There are 2nd tier providers that provide Verizon coverage & network but at less cost depending on your overall needs. My wife and I both have pay as you go with Boom Mobile. We use Verizon phones that are no longer under a contract. Don't need to be "unlocked".
Nick
1995 Coachmen Santara MB360 w/slide
F53/460 chassis w/tag

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Thy kept telling us we had to have our phones unlocked if we change providers from Verizon.
Said Verizon will do it i you ask them.
They refused.
Guess what they weren't locked in the first place. Just changed out the chips.
Black Berries. Still use mine. Wife changed to a Smart Phone, which the Blackberry is too, but with keys. Range is about twice what her Smart Phone is.

If yours does need unlocking instructions on simple procedure on the Internet.
note I didn't read all the replies so sure as tomorrow is Sunday someone already said this.

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
Go to the Amazon site and look around. Hundreds of phones. We bought an LG phone from Amazon and use Tracfone. Check comments and questions carefully. Ours is on the Verizon network and works great.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

PyrateSilly
Explorer
Explorer
We haven't had a contract with Verizon in years. Since we are still on the grandfathered unlimited data we have been buying new phones outright to keep it.

We pay for my other half's parents phone and the youngests phone. They were the pay as you go but when Verizon came out with their new unlimited data plan we added them on a sub-contract together and there is no contract with them to do that. I had asked about contracts and they said they don't do them anymore. At least that's what the ones here in SoCal near Los Angeles said.
Abigail and Christine having fun in a 1993 Monaco Crown Royale Signature Series 40ft 300hp RV.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Back in my workings days running with Navel Electronics guys out of Charleston SC Verizon was the best for sure. We did alot of work up in the states along the Canada border working at the now dismantled Air Force Radar sites.

Then we worked along US 82 corridor across the Southern States on the Space Surveillance system and Arkansas, Mississippi and Alabama small towns were really dead for telephone service with anyone except Verizon. ALot of Mom and Pop places in Arkansas... They would want a credit card number to make long distance phone calls.. This was from the hotels we were staying in haha... Walnut Hill Telephone Company in Lewisville Ark was one I will never forget haha... we worked and worked trying get high speed landline Internets for our systems to work from them... Once it got all setup it worked great until all of that got closed down of recent time...

If you need to get away from the Interstates and large towns Verizon for sure is the only way to go... I'm thinking that AT&T is gaining ground on them now... Its all where the towers are going up to make it all work...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
You won't have a problem with Verizon almost anywhere.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

MrWizard
check FRY'S electronics or Amazon, or best buy
you can get a NEW unlocked ALL carrier Motorola G , 3rd generation 16gb storage, Android
for around $130 on sale around $149 max price when not on sale

Frys has it in todays member promos for $129, regular $149
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s