cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Disconnect Process Wrangler JK

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
I've towed our old 97 TJ Wrangler for a couple of years, but am now towing a 13 JKU Wrangler. Both were automatics, but I am having a hard time getting the transfer case back into gear on this JK before I disconnect the tow bar. The best I have been able to do is work it hard to get it into 4-Low. I don't recall ever having trouble with our TJ.

Anyone have better luck, ideas on what I may be doing wrong?
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed
4 REPLIES 4

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Mile High wrote:
I've towed our old 97 TJ Wrangler for a couple of years, but am now towing a 13 JKU Wrangler. Both were automatics, but I am having a hard time getting the transfer case back into gear on this JK before I disconnect the tow bar. The best I have been able to do is work it hard to get it into 4-Low. I don't recall ever having trouble with our TJ.

Anyone have better luck, ideas on what I may be doing wrong?

Mile High,
We've owned and towed, 9 different Jeeps over a 35 year period. Most of them modified in many ways. Sometimes, the T/C becomes a bit "bound up" while the Jeep is being towed. Not a big deal, no damage is ever incurred. But, due to the fact that, the linkage between the T/C and the body, is a two-part mechanism. That allows for flex and, that means less than positive shifts, in any direction, in any gear.

But, as time goes on, and you utilize that transfer case more and more, especially if you do any off roading, that shifting mechanism frees up considerably. And so do the internal gear shifting components. So, what I'm saying is, it will get considerably better, the more you shift that transfer case.

As for what gear you achieve while disconnecting, heck, if you get it more easily into say, 4L or 4H, then back away from the coach in that gear. It's no big deal at all. You will incurre no damage what so ever, even if you're on pavement. You won't be driving it in 4L on the pavement for 10 miles. All you're doing at this point is, allowing for the gears/mechanisms/components to "un-bind".

At that point, maybe a few feet of backing up, (if you have a few feet), you should easily be able to shift that T/C into 2H and proceed with your plans.

We have a 2015 JKUR and, the Wife does all the inside prep and I do all the outside, tow bar, cables etc. When it comes time for disconnect, after some tow miles, she hops in and, normally pops it right into 2H but, on occasion, it fights her a bit. When that happens, and it will only go into 4L or 4H, so what, she drives away in that gear 'till it relaxes all it's fits and, she then shifts it to 2H, normally within a few feet or so.

We use our Jeep for off roading quite often. That transfer case gets shifted, into and out of, 4L and 4H, several times per run. I use all those gears, THEY'RE FREE, WHY NOT???? And by doing so, things have loosened up by quite a bit. When we first got that '15, it was very sticky in the T/C shifting. Now, it's like a stick transmission, goes in and out without issue.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

w4phj
Explorer
Explorer
Normal situation.

Simply use your left foot on the ground to move the JKU a small amount while gently pushing the 4WD lever towards 2W high.

You may have to disconnect your tow bar first or have a 2nd party release the tow bar locks.
2021 Winnebago View 24J
2021 Ram pick up
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Ham Radio Extra Class Volunteer Examiner
FAA A&P License

1969 Plymouth Road Runner

haddy1
Explorer
Explorer
I have that issue with my 2007 Wrangler. The best solution is to roll the Wrangler slightly while applying pressure to the shifter.

FWIW, those shifter parts are not the best and are known to fail, so don't push too hard.
2019 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH
2018 Grand Cherokee Toad

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Like you I have moved my 99 TJ wranler transfer case into neutral many times... I was going to suggest that perhaps the newer Jeep didn't really have a transfer case per say but sounds like it does...

One of my older CJ Jeeps had the wheel hub disconnect haha... That was super until you got stuck in a mud hole and then you had to wade out in the mud to flip the hubs hehe... Sure made it easy to tow however...

Google Image

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS