cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E 85

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Avoided a big mistake today. Stopped by the Station to fuel up, saw the new GREEN tanks and pumps they had installed, thinking they were diesel. I pulled into the lane, but when I tried to figure out what E-85 was So I allowed a little bit to drain out of the hose to see what it was... It sure ain't diesel.

Come to find out it is the new corn oil based fuel. NOT for #2 diesel.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.
13 REPLIES 13

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ok, but my real point was that colors are meaningless when it comes to the handle

Now the color of the LIQUID.. That is important.. It indicates the grade and that Road Tax is charged.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
Be aware that though GREEN generally means Diesel.. NOT ALWAYS, there is no "Standard" that is enforced (There is a standard and you'd be surprised at what it is, but it is not enforced.. it has also changed since I was a teen, Oh, the code for Gasoline is still RED (Flamable as I recall) but the code for Diesel has changed (Believe it or not that is inflamable.. I do know the difference)

Flammable and Inflammable mean the same thing. Diesel fuel is combustible, not flammable. The flashpoint of diesel is above the flammable threshold of 100 degrees.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Be aware that though GREEN generally means Diesel.. NOT ALWAYS, there is no "Standard" that is enforced (There is a standard and you'd be surprised at what it is, but it is not enforced.. it has also changed since I was a teen, Oh, the code for Gasoline is still RED (Flamable as I recall) but the code for Diesel has changed (Believe it or not that is inflamable.. I do know the difference)

As an example.. BP, British Petrolum (Bought out Standard Oil/American Oil) all the hoses are green, it's the company color, they are trying to make you think they are environmentally friendly. So they color EVERYTHING Green.

Same with the E-85 Pumps. they are trying to make you think that E-85 is more environmentally friendly. Alas. I have a degree in science (not an imressive one but still something to hang on the wall) and I do research for fun (Much more impressive) so I know that E-xx fuels are worse for the environment than pure gasoline, but hey... There are better alternatives.. Just not in production.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Yep- $900 mistake for me trusting the handle colors. Not only did I fill the pickup with gasoline, it was premium gasoline. Set the green handle back and noticed a yellow one next to it that said "diesel". Fortunately I never turned the key on the truck, just had it towed to Ford.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
What ever color it is. don't put that E85 gas in ANY vehicle. Less power, and less mileage
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, if I understand your statement/question, there are people who buy fuel based upon color. Did you not read the OP's post? He nearly put the wrong fuel in his RV entirely based upon the color of the fuel handle. The fuel industry has taught us what color means what and yet some ignorant fuel station owners put the wrong color handle covers in place despite knowing they are not doing the right thing.....or are they..... or do they not understand due to language, ignorance or simply not giving a "poop".
As to the rant part, you may be partially correct. Let's do a quick survey of those running the fuel station where you last fueled up. For me, it was a Shell station in Houston, TX where I was able to roll my car into when it threw a serpentine belt. When I asked the lady behind the counter if she knew a mechanic she just shook her head. I asked if she knew if there were any auto repair facilities nearby and she shook her head. I asked what exit we were at off I-45 and she shook her head. I don't know what she did know but maybe she could have told me if the gum was included in the 2-for-1 candy special.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
What I can't figure out is that a Green handle or a Yellow handle or a Black handle has to cost the exact same amount. So, why in the World do you not have the right color on the right nozzle? Are you really so that stupid and if so, how did you manage to become an fuel station owner? Minority / Female / Refugee owner? Not sure but it must be something!

Nice little rant. And somehow majority male residents can afford motorhomes yet fail at reading comprehension.

Anyone buys fuel by color...
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
What I can't figure out is that a Green handle or a Yellow handle or a Black handle has to cost the exact same amount. So, why in the World do you not have the right color on the right nozzle? Are you really so that stupid and if so, how did you manage to become an fuel station owner? Minority / Female / Refugee owner? Not sure but it must be something!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
The E-85 nozzles are "supposed" to be Yellow but they are not always. That's just bad management at the fuel station! If the station doesn't actually sell diesel it's not unusual to find Green handles.

Yes Bill, you are right. My local BP station that does not sell diesel has the 'premium' handle in green. I cringe every time I use it and check and recheck myself.

LOL!

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
The E-85 nozzles are "supposed" to be Yellow but they are not always. That's just bad management at the fuel station! If the station doesn't actually sell diesel it's not unusual to find Green handles.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Good thing you caught it. That could have ruined your day, and engine.

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
I thought that E-85 hose handles are yellow, and diesel hose handles are green. Maybe that's not true everywhere.

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Have you been. In a deep sleep? It has been around for a long time. I do understand however having filled a car in Paris with gasoil. What did I know? Your experience was much less costly than mine.