cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Major Dad hanging it up

Major_Dad
Explorer
Explorer
I knew this day would come, I just didn't think it would be this soon. I was diagnosed with ALS in February 2016, and the average life span of a person with Lou Gehrig's disease is 2 to 5 years but I don't think that I will even make it to two years. Being a quadraplegic has certainly taught me humility. But this old disabled veteran can't afford those fancy class A motorhomes with the built in lift system. My wife won't drive one of those anyway.
The VA has provided us with all kinds of medical equipment, including this eyegaze computer I am using for this post. So however spotty VA medical care is they really come through with equipment and funds.

All this to say farewell. I will miss hanging out on rv.net talking about my favorite hobby.
2017 Thor Compass 23TR last RV
MV-1 Mobility ventures wheelchair van
DH+DW 36+ years
Millie the fawn brindle greyhound
41 REPLIES 41

CopilotCompanio
Explorer
Explorer
I cried when I read this. How can we ever repay you for your service? Words fall flat? Is it too selfish to ask that you give us a SitRep every now and again as long as you are able? God bless you and your family.
DH: Designated Curmudgeon
Lupรฉ the Rescue Dog: Self-appointed Tattletale
DW: Copilot & Companion
No offense intended. Sarcasm is my strong suit.

justafordguy
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you Sir for your service and may God bless you and your family.
2015 Heartland Gateway 3650BH
2017 F350 CCLB KR FX4
2005 F250 CC FX4
77 Bronco, 302,C4,PS,PB,A/C,33" KM2s,D44/Lock-Right,9"/Grizzly locker

Camper_G
Explorer
Explorer
Major Dad wrote:
Thanks for all the kind words and prayers. My family has a great support system at our church, and the VA is providing adequate funding. I wish researchers would find what causes ALS, and why military veterans get ALS at twice the ratio as the general population.
As for transportation, the VA has provided a custom fitted manual wheelchairs and funding for a wheelchair van, which we used to buy an MV-1. So we are set up at least after the VA funded home modifications.
So I will be hanging out at rv.net, and at my beloved Texas state parks. So if you see an old veteran tooling around in a fancy Permobil power wheelchair
at a hill country state park, come on over and meet ol' Maor Dad!

Nice! Good deal Sir! Glad to hear that. God is good all the time, and all the time, God is good. He has a plan for you Sir, rest assured of that fact. If you've accepted Christ as your lord and savior, I'll see you one day in paradise. Hang in there Sir. May God bless and keep you.
2017 Dodge Ram 2500 HD, 4x4, CCSB, 6.4L HEMI, Snow Chief, tow package.,1989 Skyline Layton model 75-2251.

lizzie
Explorer
Explorer
It is hard to know what to say that is not trite or meaningless. I admire your courage in sharing your story with us. It reminds me that we are, in a funny kind of way, a family. Thank you for your service and for your example. lizzie

BadgerMcAdams
Explorer
Explorer
Major Dad wrote:
Thanks for all the kind words and prayers. My family has a great support system at our church, and the VA is providing adequate funding. I wish researchers would find what causes ALS, and why military veterans get ALS at twice the ratio as the general population.
As for transportation, the VA has provided a custom fitted manual wheelchairs and funding for a wheelchair van, which we used to buy an MV-1. So we are set up at least after the VA funded home modifications.
So I will be hanging out at rv.net, and at my beloved Texas state parks. So if you see an old veteran tooling around in a fancy Permobil power wheelchair

From one Vet to another, Thanks Brother...In the immortal words of Sam Kennison," Party while you can, and rock till you drop!"

limitswitch
Explorer
Explorer
A BIG thank you for your service to our country. It is good to have your church family for support. May GOD Bless You in your struggle with this. JESUS is our SAVIOR and will be with us thru thick and thin....
2016 F250 6.2L V8
2016 Forest River Wildwood 27RKSS

Major_Dad
Explorer
Explorer
2017 Thor Compass 23TR last RV
MV-1 Mobility ventures wheelchair van
DH+DW 36+ years
Millie the fawn brindle greyhound

98coachman
Explorer
Explorer
Bears Den wrote:
Thank you for your service. As was stated earlier, RV.net maybe therapeutic and we would love to have you around. God bless you.
x2 make the best of the time you have left!

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thank you for your service. I hope you will stay active here as long as you can and continue to help the rest of us learn from your experience.

My mom died of ALS. I donate to the research fund and I hope that they can find a cure, or a way to live with it longer and easier.

Bears_Den
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for your service. As was stated earlier, RV.net maybe therapeutic and we would love to have you around. God bless you.
2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch V8
Equalizer hitch
Ford integrated brake controller
2004 Travel Lite 23S Hybrid Travel Trailer ( previous trailer )
1998 Viking Popup ( previous trailer )

No substitute for experience

Jeeperinmoab
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for your service.
2007 Chevrolet Suburban
2017 Cruiser RV MPG2800QB

AmericalVette
Explorer
Explorer
Wishing you all the best my brother. Glad the VA is with you on this.
Times fun when you're having flies!

Lar114
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for your service, and prayers are coming your way.
Larry and Wife Debbie
2016 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.2 Liter 3:73 Axle.
2004 Dutchmen Sport 26L 7546 lbs. Loaded.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hang in there my friend and God Bless!
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"