cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making sausage for camping

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well, we're getting ready to head out to the wilderness for the long weekend so I thought I'd make some sausage for the crowd. I used to make tons(literally)of sausage about 7 years ago, then I took a more time consuming job and life has pulled me away from sausage making. But every now and then I get a hankerin' to get my mitts in some ground up pork and I have a hay day. For this episode I made 35 pounds of pork sausage: 10lb of Linguisa, 10lb of Andouille, 10lb of fresh polish, all stuffed in 38mm casings. Then the left over fine grind meat is mixed up into bulk breakfast sausage.

This is my #22 Grinder with the lean meat that will go through the 1/2" grinder plate.

This is the Fresh Polish after being stuffed but not linked yet.

This is the Fresh Polish linked and bagged

And this is the Andouille sausage stuffed and linked.
I'll snap some picks of the Andouille & Linguisa after i'ts out of the smoker............
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!
12 REPLIES 12

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the recipe. I will try it out!
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
bob213 wrote:
Do you use their Farm Style seasoning for the breakfast sausage? Can you order that online?

They have southern style and farm style. The difference is red pepper flakes in the southern style. I pretty much only use the Southern Style. I don't know if you can order it on line. I started ordering stuff from them by phone long before there was such a thing as "online". There phone # is 800-662-6212. They have quite a bit of other sausage seasoning and individual seasoning by the pound............and casings, curing salts, ham bags etc. When I want ridiculously good breakfast sausage I mix up this:

3 pounds pork butt (pork shoulder)
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1 tablespoon kosher salt
2 teaspoons ground sage
1 teaspoons dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1/4 cup water

This I just leave bulk.....it's off the chart taste-wise
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Do you use their Farm Style seasoning for the breakfast sausage? Can you order that online?
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Oh man those pictures have me drooling.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III

This the completed 10lbs of Andouille. I struggled a little with getting it completed but it turned out better then what you'd buy
This is the Andouille split just before hittin' the skillet to be served up with eggs.

Whipped up a little jerky since Top Rounds were on sale. I'm not really much of jerky maker, but I think this is pretty good for my fourth try...........All in all, a pretty successful Saturday.
V-465

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lwiddis wrote:
Oh my! How many pounds of breakfast can I buy?

The breakfast sausage is actually the only sausage I make with a pre-mixed spice package from a place called Carlson's Butcher Supply in San Francisco CA. It's real tasty. 1 tablespoon for every pound of ground pork. It's also real nice when you're all done mixing up the pork for all the "planned" sausages and you wind up with a few pounds of ground pork left over you can just mix up the rest in breakfast sausage.
V-465

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Great looking product! I like the idea of the dimmer switch too.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
Looks really yummy..
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Oh my! How many pounds of breakfast can I buy?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III

Here is the Andouille in the smoker. These are huge casings for supposedly being 35-38mm. These are approaching 40-42mm.

This is the little smoke generator. I'ts actually a stainless steel insert for a restaurant buffet steam table with a charcoal lighter hoop slid in the bottom through a horizontal slot I cut into it. I plug it into an outlet that is controlled by a dimmer switch so I can control the speed at which the dampened sawdust smolders
V-465

AJBert
Explorer
Explorer
Looks good! My grandson and I turned his deer her got last year into 75lbs of hot Italian and 25lbs of breakfast, all bulk.

I'm good with making sausage for another couple of months!

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
But you didnt list an address to pick up orders.