Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Check engine light

real4u2c
Explorer
Explorer
New question, new problem.

The darned engine light came on after annual inspection. Had an oil change, thought they forgot to reset the oil light, As I have a p32 chassis , workhorse tech manual. That lasted about 18 miles on my way to get propane fill today, engine light came on again. I checked the oil, transmission, coolant, charging system, air filter, plug wires. Didn't see anything fried underneath. Not sure what is causing it, you guys got any insight I am apparently missing?
Retired Marine with Retired Navy woman2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37 C, Workhorse p32 chassis, 8.1l gas engine.
11 REPLIES 11

bass_n_bob
Explorer
Explorer
last year I had Freightliner in Gafney check out my "engine Light". They said it was a possible computer problem and they disconnected the batteries and when reconnected the problem went away. I had a battery disconnect switch installed to facilitate this problem which happens about every 8000 miles or so.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Tale of 3 Customer Service calls.. NOTE, you are interested in #3 which applies to most GM vehicles.

Hughesnet.. 7 hours with someone who spoke English like a native of India and the only result was a headache
Xantrex.. perhaps 10 minutes total had RMA in less than 2, rest of the time was improving my install.
Workhorse: Oil change technician failed to reset the oil life counter so I got the OIL warning... RECIPTIONIST (yes back then a genuine human answered the phone.. RECIPTIONIST no less, never talked to a service technician.

Turn engine off. Turn ignition on but do not start.
Depress accelerator pedal to the floor 3 times and release (Within a 5 second window)
After 3rd release start engine

Note: I do not recall if I had to turn key to OFF then start after the 3rd press of the pedal or just crank 'er up

But now you know.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
ScottG wrote:
Get the code read. Until you do that your just shooting into the dark.

X2 code readers are so cheap everybody should have one. Ebay = cheap.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with getting an OBD II scanner, and learning how to use it. Until you read the codes, you'll have no idea what is throwing the code. Don't depend on the auto parts place to read it for you, half the time they have no idea what they're doing.

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
How to make your signature so we can serve you better:

1. Log on and click "My Preferences".
2. On the "My Preferences" page click the middle box and enter your rig info.
3. Scroll to the bottom and click "Submit Changes"
4. Exit and you're done.

There are several hundred codes that can light your CEL. Without knowing what code is presenting itself there is no way to know what the problem may be.

I've purchased three OBD II code readers over the years due to CEL.

The CEL light is the single largest revenue source for auto dealers, bar none.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

Buy yourself a code reader. They are not expensive. It will tell you what code has been stored and what it means. No guesswork.
I bought one and it has proven to be very valuable. My truck went into limp mode hundreds of miles from home. I cleared the code so I could drive home. Worked like a champ!
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Get the code read. Until you do that your just shooting into the dark.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Likely something to do with emissions systems. Engine light came on my truck last week and it was a DEF tank sensor.

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
Do class "A"s have an OBD II connection? If so you may want to go by an auto parts store and have them test it.
For future reference if this is a frequent issue, getting your own code reader may give you peace of mind when it comes on by seeing if it's a major or minor issue.

Ok just looked it up diesel does not have the connection gas does. It should be just to the right of your steering column.

harold1946
Explorer
Explorer
Also possibly the MAF sensor needs cleaned.
Harold and Linda
2009 CT Coachworks siena 35V
W-22 Workhorse 8.1L
Explorer Sport toad

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
real4u2c wrote:
New question, new problem.

The darned engine light came on after annual inspection. Had an oil change, thought they forgot to reset the oil light, As I have a p32 chassis , workhorse tech manual. That lasted about 18 miles on my way to get propane fill today, engine light came on again. I checked the oil, transmission, coolant, charging system, air filter, plug wires. Didn't see anything fried underneath. Not sure what is causing it, you guys got any insight I am apparently missing?

It's been known to come on when the gas cap was not reinstalled tightly. Tighten your gas cap and see if that light goes out in a few miles.
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad