cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

First time towing a TT and wondering about weight

newrver327
Explorer
Explorer
I have never towed a TT before so I have a question about the TT weight. I have a 2009 3/4 duramax and am not worried about the power end of it but what I was wondering was, the TT I was looking at has a dry weight of 8400lbs. then you add all the stuff. I don't know how this will feel when I am towing that much weight. Since the weight is behind the truck and not like a 5th wheel I didn't want to have the tail wagging the dog. Maybe this is a non issue but I have never towed before so thanks for the input. Also I will be getting a very good WDH so mention a brand if you want. Thanks again
6 REPLIES 6

APT
Explorer
Explorer
WDH with integrated sway control. Target 1400-1500 pound bars. Happy Camping!
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
BlueOx Swaypro (model BXW1500) has built in sway control and internal lubrication. You grease it with a grease gun and wipe the exterior clean. Trunion bars (grease free) snap into the hitch head. Hitching and unhitching leaves no grease on your hands or clothes.

BXW1500 is good for tongue weight between 1000 and 1500 lbs.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
You'll be fine! And as others have stated, get a good Weight Distribution Hitch, and if it has built in sway control, you'll be even MORE fine!

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Good point on the receiver rating, MFL. Otherwise good to go.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I don't see any tail wagging issues with your truck, and you already know that a good WDH is the key. I always used the Equalizer brand, worked well for me. I know there are others such as Blue-Ox, higher end, ProPride. You do need to look at your OEM receiver rating, as that trailer loaded could have 12-13 hundred lb tongue wt.

Jerry

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
It's a total non-issue. Not even close with that weight with a 3/4 ton pickup.

As far as the tail wagging the dog. Think of a class 8 weighting 25K towing a total weight of 80K.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln