2011 Toyota Tacoma
2013 Honda Goldwing
2003 Honda TRX400ex (2)
2005 Honda Aquatrax F12-X (2)
2016 Yamaha YXZ1000R

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
We were in terrible road conditions a few years ago on 81 near Bristol TN. Even in white out road conditions when one might think communications is important all we heard was streams of useless banter and profanity. I never turned the thing on again after that. We use a hotspot and internet when we need weather updates. The Boost Mobile 10GB hotspot is great for internet access on the road. My wife pops open the laptop and goes at it.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
PyrateSilly wrote:

So yes there are some that are not so nice but overall I have found most to be very nice and helpful.

I started early with CB, even back when I had to build my own with Heathkit, but after 30 years of not having them and coming back, the language is just horrid. There is no hesitation out there to throw the F bomb with every other word, which is sad. The stationary ones that get on every day to chatter seem to be the worse.

Regardless, we use it for off road so it is invaluable where cell phones fail. On the road, I just shut it off.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

the_silverback
Explorer
Explorer
X whatever on Fire stick.
the silverback
2015 crossroads Rushmore 5th wheel

PyrateSilly
Explorer
Explorer
We won't be without a CB in a pretty much any vehicle we have. Been able to get out of too many situations because of the CB. Years ago when we were traveling in a truck we noticed a slow down on the highway we were on that did not seem normal for the time of day. We had the CB off for a little while but we immediately turned it back on. Seems there was a sniper shooting at the highway traffic about 50 miles up the road, police was trying to get everyone off the road. As fast as possible we pulled out the paper maps (really no GPS then) and found that we could take the next smallish exit and still go where we wanted, very small 2 lane road but hey no sniper.
One time I was in the truck going from FL to MI by myself in the pouring rain. I got on the CB and hooked up with a trucker and we kept talking. He kept making sure I was behind him and OK. At about NC another trucker got on and tried to say things cause I am a female. The one that I had been with for a few states got on and told him to stop that he was helping me and to leave me alone.
So yes there are some that are not so nice but overall I have found most to be very nice and helpful.
Abigail and Christine having fun in a 1993 Monaco Crown Royale Signature Series 40ft 300hp RV.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I will support the fact that most folks like the Firestick
Make sure you get the NO GROUND PLANE (NGP) model.. (I think firestick makes both kinds)

I use a former cometitor's product.. but the word "Former" means it's no longer made.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
cableguy574 wrote:
MountainAir05 wrote:
I am a firestik fan. What every you get you will need the special coax since you stated no ground.

what kind of cable

FIRESTIK makes one, It has a build in ground loop. Meaning you can not cut it. Read up on the circuit here. http://firestik.com/

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking at the Firestik FG2-DD-B rooftop no-ground-plane antenna for RVs. I picked that one because I can access the roof from the inside on mine pretty easy to install the coax. The antenna is about 29" long with spring.

Firestik
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dual CB antennas are the best but more directional. A NGP antenna might be OK but expect less range.

The best would be to add a metal ground plane for the antenna.

On my last rig I mounted the CB antenna to the existing steel frame with SS bolts and that provided a decent ground plane.

CB has limited usage these days so consider your needs first. Cell phones are of course very popular and there seems to be an increase in ham radio users.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

MrWizard
frie stick is good

what you need is a wire wound fiberglass dipole,

where are you going to mount it ?

hard to do a mirror mount on new MH's

i would say get a Marine antenna but they tend to be long whips
and that will get broken at the first overpass you go under
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had one of those thru the windshield type CB antennas for awhile in my Ford truck... Hooked to my CB and picked a lot of truck traffic and all but never heard another RV unit... Can't remember ever hearing another RV'ers using CB radios...

My CB is mounted under the driver seat in my truck and I have the squelch turned up all the way up and the only traffic I hear is the close proximity Truckers CB reports going up and down the Interstates... Can't remember when I have ever transmitted on the thing.

It is useful to me to listen for road hazards and Police radar reports...

The language is what turns me off with the present day CB traffic... Back in the 60s it was a fun radio network... The good Cb'ers had actual FCC issued CALL SIGNs back then I was KBX5218 issued from Illinois if my memory serves me good now haha

I have heard some of the RV TRAVELERS are trying to start up a RV NET bunch but haven't much about it of late...

We use the portable GMRS/FRS Handheld Radios for local Communication around the camp ground and up and down some of the shopping towns like Gatlinburg etc...

Of course nothing replaces the CELL PHONE service...

I also use the Amateur Radio repeaters in the area and have run into several Ham Radio types also doing the RV Camping trips... That's kinds of neat in itself...

We are not into the RV TRAVELING for long trips - Only the close by local RV camping is what we do ...

Roy ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

cableguy574
Explorer
Explorer
MountainAir05 wrote:
I am a firestik fan. What every you get you will need the special coax since you stated no ground.

what kind of cable
2008 National Pacifica V36a
2014 Jeep Wrangler /Brake Buddy
JUST Me & My wife & dogs ๐Ÿ™‚
FMCA 387898
A member of NUTS

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
The best would be to cover your roof with metal and then put a 9 foot whip antenna in the middle.

Failing that, there really isn't that much difference in most of the others.
The best would be whatever style is easiest to mount securely.....and has a good metallic ground nearby.

What kind of mirror mounts do you have ?
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"