cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Maine sites

Jq1953
Explorer
Explorer
We would like ideas about visiting Maine in late summer. No kids, just two seniors. Thinking about using Brunswick and/or Banger areas as our base and traveling in different directions daily for interesting sites.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
8 REPLIES 8

Jq1953
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everyone who offered their ideas. This is one reason we really enjoy this site. Once again, thanks.

dakasa47
Explorer
Explorer
We Rv along the coast of Maine all the time. We have stayed in many of the campgrounds already recommended. That being said our favorite is Wild Duck.We stay there on a regular basis. The owner, Chris, is always welcoming and friendly. We also like Camden Hills State Park and the new NP campground Schoodic Woods which is part of Acadia but not located in the big park but on the Schoodic peninsular. We also stayed at Sunset Point in Harrington where you can place an order for fresh caught that day lobster which the owner gets cooks and delivers to your site. Great experience. We also liked Sea View campground in Eastport and Grey Homestead in Boothbay, We have traveled a lot of Maine even pre Rving. Staying inland in hotels,inns and Rv. It's a beautiful state but by far the most beautiful is the coast.We have also traveled many many times from Massachusetts down the eastern seaboard to Florida through Delaware Maryland Virgina the Carolinas and Georga to the Florida Keys. Every place has their beautiful beaches but in my opinion none are as spectacular as the Maine coast.
David and Marianne
2010 Tundra
2007 FunFinder 21'

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a couple of places we like to stay at when we head up the coast from our home Massachusetts. The first is the Shore Hills Campground in Boothbay Me. It's a couple of miles off Rt 1 in Wiscasset. 2 to 2/12 hours south of Bar Harbor. Very nice RV park with sites right on the "Back River". Another is the Lobster Buoy Campsites in South Thomaston Me off Rt 1 near Rockland and Camden. This campground is a bit off the beaten path and is right on the ocean. Every site has an ocean view, really. This campground is a couple of hours away from Bar Harbor too. Good surf casting on their beach too..
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!

Joyce_in_NY
Explorer
Explorer
I agree that Maine is just too big to have one spot as a jumping-off place. I would start with Wild Duck Campground and explore the southern coast. It's an awesome campground, adult only, and quite small. It's an easy drive to Kittery Trading Post, the Marginal Way in Wells, numerous lighthouses including Portland Headlight (the most photographed lighthouse), Old Orchard Beach, etc. This is our go-to place when we visit our son in Portland. Then I'd move up the coast to Acadia National Park. We stayed just outside the park at Hadley's Point Campground because it was more reasonably priced than the KOA and it worked well for us. We are kayakers, so one of these times I want to get over to the Moose Lake area. It is supposed to have excellent paddling and frequent moose viewings. Whatever you choose, Maine is an awesome state to visit.
Cardinal 33TSLE

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at The Narrows Too RV Park. There is a free shuttle into Acadia National Park. Don't miss it. No cheap but beautiful area. If you don't want to pay high price for waterfront site they do have some back ins off the water that are much cheaper.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
I'd drive the entire coast to enjoy the pretty waterfront towns and lighthouses again in a heartbeat, and stay every night on the coast. Wild Duck Campground is well-located on Scarborough Marsh for seeing Portland (it's peaceful, an adult-only CG), Shore Hills CG is nice, many more good ones if you check RV Park Reviews. Definitely go to Acadia NP and further north. Bar Harbor Campground there is a good value (no reservations, no credit cards) and the shuttle into the NP stops there. If you like lobster, many RV places will have lobster pound phone numbers posted where you can call and have a cooked lobster dinner delivered to your campsite at a very reasonable price.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Acadia/Bar Harbor definitely but it would be better to stay there-it's much easier than the hour or so drive from Bangor down. If "late summer" means after Labor Day I wouldn't worry too much about reservations. Before then definitely. Try the Bar Harbor KOA.

Brunswick will give you good access to Freeport-shopping and the Desert of Maine. Very interesting place. Quite strange to see a desert there. You can also access Portland fairly easily. Sailing, whale watches, lots of shops and restaurants. There are also a number of museums there. If you don't mind driving a bit you can hit "quintessential" New England in Kennebunkport and Ogunquit. Kennebunkport has shopping, restaurants, sailing and beautiful ocean views. Ogunquit has one of the most beautiful beaches in ME but be prepared to see a LOT of "alternative" lifestyles. It's a very family-oriented area but does cater to many different types of people. It's one of our favorite places.

There's antiquing almost anywhere in Maine.

I'm not sure what "bang for the buck" you'll get using Bangor as a base. Maine's a fairly good-sized state. You don't say how long you have but I think you'd be better off to move around a bit. The southern beaches are quite nice although crowded before Labor Day. A few more hints of how long you have and what you like to do might help.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Acadia/Bar Harbor. There's a new loop in Acadia that may have not yet been discovered by the hoi polloi.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox