cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Coleman Mach 3 AC replacement

roadjunkie
Explorer
Explorer
I talked to a guy the other day that does AC work on RV's and he's recommending a new unit. He says it sounds like the fan motor and he could replace it but since the compressor is over 10 years old, it could go next.

The unit is $650 according to him, although I found it online on one site that I know nothing about for $458. He wants about $950 the unit and installation plus tax. Is this something that's easy to do? I have no experience with working on RV's or AC's.
13 REPLIES 13

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
roadjunkie wrote:
Getting the unit on the roof would not be a problem. I have access to a John Deere tractor with a loader here at the RV park. I'm 250 pounds. Is the roof sturdy enough for me to be crawling around up there?

Unless there is a problem with the roof you will be fine walking on it.
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

roadjunkie
Explorer
Explorer
Getting the unit on the roof would not be a problem. I have access to a John Deere tractor with a loader here at the RV park. I'm 250 pounds. Is the roof sturdy enough for me to be crawling around up there?

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
If you have the "Coleman" Mach Series, now sold by AirExcel or RVP/RV Products, that fan motor's about $100 on Amazon and a new capacitor about $10.

Common hand tools, wire nuts (or much better, crimp connectors) somebody to hand you the motor.

I wouldn't hesitate to put a new motor or things like capacitors in a 10-YOA Coleman Mach. Clean the coils while it's apart. You can see the Condenser Coil at the rear of the unit, and it pulls its air forward from the rear into the unit. So it's the "backside" you want to clean. The Evaporator can be seen with the sloped sheet metal "top" in front removed. Clean the squirrel cage interior blower wheel too. You need a long 3/16" allen wrench for the cage. Look carefully at the fins. The one different one is where the screw is.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
I just had my original 2001 13500 btu Dometic A/C upper unit replaced a week ago. I just got out of the hospital prior so there was no way I could get one up there. The mobile guy I always use ordered it and came out 4 days later to install it. Him, Wife and son did the install in 30 minutes. The compressor finally went out. $1000 for parts labor and tax.
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
I replaced my Mach 3 A/C because compressor would not start. The only hard part was I am 80 YO. Had to get my 40 YO son to slid the unit up the ladder to the top of the TT.

I then sold all the good salvageable part of the old Coleman Mach 3 on eBay for about what I paid for the new A/C. I think the net cost of the new A/C was about $100.00
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

Chrisatthebeach
Explorer
Explorer
Change the fan motor. I did my last two myself in about an hour start to finish. Make digital pictures as it comes apart to help you put it back together. I sold one of mine and the unit was 22 years old still cooling fine.

Fan motor about 125.00 from Dick Gore's, probably could have found it cheaper online but this happened in late May as I was relocating back to here and it was hot and I needed it fixed quick.
Chris & Dianne
Jayco Designer 3110 SOLD 6-11-2016, looking for the next one.
F250 PSD 4x4 Crew Cab

Carvin_Marvin
Explorer
Explorer
Check Amazon. Bought mine in January was much less. Installed it myself. Not complicated.

egrove
Explorer
Explorer
I had one replaced by a dealer while on the road. Was in and out in under an hour.
Eric Grove
Dallastown, PA
2019 Tiffin Open Road Allegro 34PA

View an online map showing campgrounds in the US

Add a Visited States Map to your signature

parkmanaa
Explorer
Explorer
Replacing rooftop A/C units is one of the most overrated (consequently the costliest) functions RV repairman do, considering the time it takes.
I'm not a RV repairman but have replaced a couple of my own, and helped others do their's.
Very simple; 4 bolts connect top to bottom; 1 electrical plug to join top and bottom; that's it.
It may be worth it to pay another $65. or so and replace the lower panel.
Regarding getting old one down and new one up; a new Mach III weighs 110 lbs.
I'm lucky, having a Kubota with front loader makes that job a snap. However,
I have used a long extension ladder, set bottom far as I can from the RV, and gradually slide the new one up the ladder (of course no problem getting old one down................)
Main area of concern, is making sure the flange around the hole in top of you RV is very, very clean. Then just follow the directions given for mounting the foam rubber gasket, and by all means do not over-tighten it.
To make the RV owner feel he is getting his money's worth, a RV Tech. might fool around and take an hour +, but if he is any good he can replace upper/lower in 30 to 45 minutes.
Once you replace a unit you will wonder why RV techs charge so much.
Good luck; DIY and save a bundle ! ! !

roadjunkie
Explorer
Explorer
That's good to know. I got the feeling that this guy was trying to score a big sell rather than just a repair job. I've heard of some of the AC's running more than the average 5 years, which is what he told me. He said it was rare to see one running 10 years.

darsben1 wrote:
If you are considering replacing the whole unit as DIY. Then a motor replacement would be a piece of cake comparatively speaking.
The hardest part of replacing the whole unit would be getting the replacement on the roof without a hernia.
BTW my coleman A/C is 27 years old

roadjunkie
Explorer
Explorer
I'm pretty handy but not sure I want to tackle this job. I'm worried more about leaks later than getting the unit installed. It's a roof air that's non-ducted.

downtheroad wrote:
Lots of videos on line (google: "replacing an rv ac").

How handy are you?
Is your existing ac ducted? This will make it more difficult.
You will probably need some help getting the new unit up on the roof.

I probably wouldn't tackle it, but I'm sure many members here on the Forum have done so successfully.

Good luck with it.

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
If you are considering replacing the whole unit as DIY. Then a motor replacement would be a piece of cake comparatively speaking.
The hardest part of replacing the whole unit would be getting the replacement on the roof without a hernia.
BTW my coleman A/C is 27 years old
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of videos on line (google: "replacing an rv ac").

How handy are you?
Is your existing ac ducted? This will make it more difficult.
You will probably need some help getting the new unit up on the roof.

I probably wouldn't tackle it, but I'm sure many members here on the Forum have done so successfully.

Good luck with it.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro