cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GNP>W Yellowstone>Tetons

wjlapier
Explorer
Explorer
What can we expect when we hit Yellowstone on our way to the Tetons. Pulling about 30ft TT. I'm wondering how much time does it take from West Yellowstone to Colter Bay. I haven't been in Yellowstone since the early 90's. Planning on staying at Grizzly RV for three nights and Colter Bay for four nights before heading back to Washington state via Missoula for two nights there. Oh, yes, driving from GNP>West Yellowstone. Anything we should be aware of to plan for?

Hoping to make this a once in a lifetime trip for our kids who are getting older and don't want to travel with mom and dad to Glacier anymore. Would like to have as smooth a trip as possible.
2019 Chevrolet 3500HD LTZ DRW
2023 Host Everest
8 REPLIES 8

pirlbeck
Explorer
Explorer
jolooote wrote:
Whats "GNP" ?

Glacier National Park
2009 Lance 845
2021 Flagstaff 529RLKS 36'6" fifthwheel
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
19.5 Rickson wheels with Michelin XZE tires
Air lift bags with 72000 wireless onboard air
Hellwig Big Wig rear sway bar
Rancho RS9000XL rear shocks
Torqlift tie downs

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
Whats "GNP" ?
Joe & Charlotte

2020 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MV Celestial Blue Full Body Paint E-450 305hp V10 6spd Class C 'COACH'

2012 Jeep Wrangler 285hp V6 'TOAD'

Gabby & Molly are Dogs
Leroy's a Conure, Loretta's a Squeaker

"Once it starts breakin'...GET RID OF IT!!!"

wyocowboy00
Explorer
Explorer
wjlapier wrote:
donkeydew wrote:
it only take one bear itching his behind or one bison taking a stroll to stop traffic and cause a major back up, just sit there and enjoy the scenery,just part of the fun of being in nature with about a million other visitors and lots of local inmates

Baby mountain goats stopping traffic on Going To The Sun Rd is always nice. Love the view from up there, so stopping for "wildlife" in Yellowstone with other travelers isn't going to bother us much.

Looking into some fly fishing for me too. I'll fish my usual places around Glacier, but need to find something in Yellowstone and Teton area.

The Madison River will probably be the most likely fishing on your route. Nymphs probably work best right now. Brooks Stone, Black Rubberlegs, Wooly Buggar - #2 - 6 or a Beadhead Emerger # 14 - 18.
2012 Chev. Silverado 3500HD DRW 4 X 4
2013 Arctic Fox 992 240 watts solar
Jerry & Judy

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most speed limits in YNP are 45 mph and some at 25 mph, add in one lane traffic at some repair areas, forget about how long. What the heck is the rush?

wjlapier
Explorer
Explorer
donkeydew wrote:
it only take one bear itching his behind or one bison taking a stroll to stop traffic and cause a major back up, just sit there and enjoy the scenery,just part of the fun of being in nature with about a million other visitors and lots of local inmates

Baby mountain goats stopping traffic on Going To The Sun Rd is always nice. Love the view from up there, so stopping for "wildlife" in Yellowstone with other travelers isn't going to bother us much.

Looking into some fly fishing for me too. I'll fish my usual places around Glacier, but need to find something in Yellowstone and Teton area.
2019 Chevrolet 3500HD LTZ DRW
2023 Host Everest

donkeydew
Explorer
Explorer

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
re West Yellowstone to Colter Bay.... 2 to 3 hours depending on traffic and not counting sight seeing stops (like Old Faithful, etc)
older kids are tough because they are addicted to their I phones and won't be happy with limited service in the parks. If they like action, try a horseback ride up in Yellowstone and a white water river ride in Jackson. Or the ski lift in Teton Resort. Also, you can get a chuck wagon hay ride/dinner deal in Jackson..not sure about Yellowstone. And Jackson has a rodeo and a shootout on the Square.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
The time will vary depending on 1) road work, and all high altitude parks are always repairing some roads. 2) Rubberneckers blocking traffic every time a chipmunk or larger critter comes into sight. 3) The general slow traffic flow in the park. I'd allow 4 hours if I needed to plan for it.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper