cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

yellowstone

Ziphead2
Explorer II
Explorer II
I know it has been asked numerous times but what is the best time to see Yellowstone and other local attractions? thanks
10 REPLIES 10

katleman
Explorer
Explorer
Mid June is still decent, crowd wise. Have been there 4 times.

Other visits have been mid July and early August. Much more crowded.

Whether it's crowded or not, get up early, see the sights and find a good spot for lunch and a nap, see more sights in the early evening.

Going mid August this year.
Visted via RV

X-OEM
Explorer
Explorer
I am actually staying on the east side of the park now. Heading through the park tomorrow to stay in West Yellowstone. Crowds are not bad at all. Traffic light and parking spots easy to get in "towns" and pulloffs. Some roads still closed for repairs. A lot of snow still around. Temps fine at night. Did snow about 5 days ago so it is very variable.

Now seems to be a great time

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
We were there in mid May, 2016 and the weather was great.High 50 or low 60's during the day but dropped down into the 40's at night. Crowds were light.

1stgenfarmboy
Explorer
Explorer
I have been 2 times in mid to late June and have been suprised at the small number of people, but with that said 2002 was the last time and seeing National Parks and camping has exploded in the last 5 years or so.

I do know when I go back it will be while school is in, this year it snowed last week and some of the trailes are still closed due to snow so you have to contend with that early and in the fall it can be dry and some of the animals are beeing seen less and less.

If you can stay close to Old Faithful the best time to watch it is very early in the day or very late, the crowds at mid-day are unreal.
1993 Dodge W350 Cummins with all the goodies
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 2wd 395hp
2017 Forest River Surveyor 243 RBS
2001 Super Sherpa & 2012 DL650A go along also

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
My son and I did a western trip several years ago (after school had started) and had a ball. Traffic was light and the animals were out and about eating everything in site. Only problem we had was our plan called for heading out across the Beartooth and into Montana at RedLodge to I-90. Had a heavy snow our last night there and the pass got closed. We had to go back across the park and exit up through the west entrance.
Said all that to say this - late is better, but too late is not as much fun
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
Keep in mind that it snowed in the Upper Basin (Old Faithfull) night before last, May 21st.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

Jerseydevil
Explorer
Explorer
Ziphead2 wrote:
I know it has been asked numerous times but what is the best time to see Yellowstone and other local attractions? thanks

We went last year at end of June. Got out at 6am every morning to beat crowds and see at much as possible. Temp was 32 degrees in morning, warmed up to 70's during day. By noon everyday the park was packed with tour buses and loads of people. From what I hear July and August are even more crowded. Regardless, it was a spectacular trip. Enjoy.

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
Before school lets out or after school starts.
spring is when you get to see babies...bison, bear, etc. but still pretty cold.
fall weather is cool but not cold but also subject to a freak early snowfall.
but the restaurants and visitor centers close around mid Sept.
but they don't get opened until mid to late May.
๐Ÿ™‚
so really, you have the last 2 weeks of May or first 2 weeks of Sept.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
Spring or fall to avoid the summer crowds. The park will still be packed, but a little less than during the summer.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Yellowstone- best
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman