cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

class A route lake Havasu to Bakersfield

rickwellman
Explorer
Explorer
What is the best route for a class A motorhome with trailer from lake Havasu to Bakersfield.
Traveling to cal col Idaho WY south dakota Oregon with 34 ft class A pulling 7 by 12 enclosed trailer with my trike.
25 REPLIES 25

billkaufmann
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
rickwellman wrote:
I was going to pick up 99 out of Bakersfield and go north to the N.P's
You got it, 40, 58, 99.
Not the old 58. Take the second 58

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
OP- one thing you didn't mention here is what are you driving/ hauling??
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
Once you've crossed Tehachapi and get to Bakersfield, if you thought that grade was too much, then stay out of the rest of the mountains in California! 58 over Tehachapi is one of the easiest mountain grades in the State. It doesn't even reach 4000 feet. I think it's something like 3700 at the highest. Just barely high enough to be called a mountain. It's actually a pretty good test for people coming to visit California from flat country. If you think Tehachapi was bad, then don't even try Tioga, or Donner Pass, or Echo Summit, etc.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I believe there is one section that is more than 6 percent.

Get Mountain Directory West and it will have details on grades. And other grade information is available online.

What is your concern? Based on your signature route lots of grades ahead.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
rickwellman wrote:
Is it more than 6 percent

I don't know. It's four lane and trucks use it all the time.

There is no way into the central valley of California without doing a steep mountain drop.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
rickwellman wrote:
I have crossed a couple coming from El paso. If they are not steeper than that I will be ok.
OK, based on your signature you are at the beginning of your western mountain trip which is great! Read up on mountain driving and you'll be fine.

It's both grade and length of the grade that's important. And yes 58 has higher grades than from El Paso and there are even higher elevations and grades in your future.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

rickwellman
Explorer
Explorer
I have crossed a couple coming from El paso. If they are not steeper than that I will be ok.
Traveling to cal col Idaho WY south dakota Oregon with 34 ft class A pulling 7 by 12 enclosed trailer with my trike.

rickwellman
Explorer
Explorer
Is it more than 6 percent

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
When you leave there heading west into Bakersfield you are going to encounter a very steep downgrade.
I don't know how familiar you are with going down mountains, I see you are from Florida, but start down at about 40 mph and use your lower gears. Don't ride the brakes. I mash mine on hard 5 seconds and then let it cool a bit as my speed moves up and then do it again.
Don't worry about blocking traffic, it's 4 lanes and they will go around you.

You will encounter steep mountains again at the Oregon border. The Siskiyous. Again pretty steep downgrades. Just go slow and you'll be fine.

US Gear Brakes

rickwellman
Explorer
Explorer
Made it tehachapi mountain valley rv park. Nice in high 60s. Staying about 3 days a real relief from the heat.

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed a week at "Mountain Valley RV Park" in Tehachapi.

Water and electric only but they do have a dump station.

Went there to see the famous railroad Tehachapi Loop. Guess what. They were rebuilding the track near there and no trains were running during daylight hours.

US Gear Brakes

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Vegas, more scenic too. My stick house is near the 210...nada to see.

The best route from Lake Havasu to Bakersfield is through Vegas??? I assume you're being sarcastic?

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

rickwellman
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. I appreciate all the information. As I travel through California you will be hearing a lot from me.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Vegas, more scenic too. My stick house is near the 210...nada to see.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad