cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to me Tow Vehicle! 2003 Ford F-350 V10

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
So, after all the research, tips, and advice on this forum and others, I finally made the decision to purchase used. 5 years of payments, a large enough down payment to avoid large monthly payments, and HUGE depreciation were what led to me to the used market.

Went with tried and true American truck.

2003 Ford F-350, 6.8L/V10, Crew Cab, 2WD, SRW, Standard Bed. 62K original miles and very well kept from second owner. Top condition inside and out.

Solid and smooth riding!

Just drove 400 miles from where I purchased it and it was just what I was looking for....smooth, solid, proven dependability, and capable!

The venerable V10 is a towing beast as far as gad engines go. Tried and proven, reliable tow vehicle.

Payload is 3860#!!! Not bad for a 14 yo truck!

Now, do you any of you tow with this or similar truck?
If so, what can you share about mods, maintenance tips, etc.

Thanks to all for your input during my research.

Now, I can pretty much pick out any 28-30' TT / 5er of my choosing!

Nice to have the payload freedom and not feel over stressed by the limitations of a 1/2 ton.

2023 GMC, 3500HD, Crew Cab, 6.6L Gas/6 Speed Auto, 4X4, Standard Bed; SRW
2011 Outback 250RS - Anniversary Edition
Equal-i-zer 10K
23 REPLIES 23

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations! That's a great find. A beautiful truck with an excellent super reliable engine. I had a 2003 F-350 that I really loved and would still have it if it wasn't for the 6.0L diesel that was in it.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

danrclem
Explorer
Explorer
Great looking truck. Enjoy!

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
Nice truck, great find, enjoy it and keep us updated on your trip experience.
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Baja Man wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
I use an OBD WiFi dongle ($20) and use my IPhone with the Dash Command app ($30) and you get way more info than you`ll ever need.

I considered one but like the idea of not being phone dependent.

My iPhone will be sued for...NAV, music, etc and will also connect to an Apple Car Play stereo (Double Din) I will install.

I agree. But I have my sons old IPod, my daughters old IPhone4s and a tablet All have the app on it. And I can set them up in any configuration of gauges I want. The tablet is even better because I can have 6 gauges and it will be easier to read.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Fordlover wrote:
phillyg wrote:
I recommend changing the so called 100,000 mile plugs now. The longer theyre in the more difficult it is to get them out.

You are thinking of the 05 to late 2007 engines. Those are a bear. The earlier engines have a few cases of spark plugs being launched out from insufficient torquing. I've read over torquing just a bit will prevent any issues.

According to my research on the spark plug blow out issue you are correct. I will be changing them soon. Anti seize and torque to 22 ft lb should prevent any blow out issues.
Equal-i-zer 10K

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
I use an OBD WiFi dongle ($20) and use my IPhone with the Dash Command app ($30) and you get way more info than you`ll ever need.

I considered one but like the idea of not being phone dependent.

My iPhone will be sued for...NAV, music, etc and will also connect to an Apple Car Play stereo (Double Din) I will install.
Equal-i-zer 10K

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
kopy kat wrote:
Baja Man, another thought....I used a Scan Guage 2 on both of my v10's....it really does a great job of keeping track of important temps!

I just mounted it on top of my dash with a Velcro patch, that way it was in my direct line of sight and small enough to not be in the way.

Happy trails, Larry

Did you consider the Blend Mount which is slim and sleek and mounts to rear view mirror arm and the gauge sits just above glass portion? Nice place and out of the way.

I like to keep my dashboard clutter-free....if possible!
Equal-i-zer 10K

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
phillyg wrote:
I recommend changing the so called 100,000 mile plugs now. The longer theyre in the more difficult it is to get them out.

You are thinking of the 05 to late 2007 engines. Those are a bear. The earlier engines have a few cases of spark plugs being launched out from insufficient torquing. I've read over torquing just a bit will prevent any issues.
2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

kopy_kat
Explorer
Explorer
Baja Man, another thought....I used a Scan Guage 2 on both of my v10's....it really does a great job of keeping track of important temps!

I just mounted it on top of my dash with a Velcro patch, that way it was in my direct line of sight and small enough to not be in the way.

Happy trails, Larry
2013 Flagstaff 8528ikws---"Camp MiMiPaPa"

jerem0621
Explorer
Explorer
I loved towing with my V10. I had a Dually F350 CC. That is a great motor. When we decide to get back into towing a big trailer we will probably be looking at a V10 Gasser or the 6.2. I really like Ford trucks. Oh mine had 3.73 gears. I wish I had 4:30 or 4:56..help it get to its RPM range faster.

I love those diamonds in the rough. My 2008 F150 only had 65k miles on it when I bought it.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nice truck! 14 years old and 60K miles... that's insane! Keep it maintained and keep the gas tank full and that thing will run forever! 3.73 gears aren't the most favorable, but it can't be too expensive to swap those for something else. What is your tow rating?

Great find, congrats!
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all for your advice and input.

Axle: 3.73LS I'll see how she does.... it will depend on weight of what I end up purchasing. If 5er, I may change out to 4.30. If TT under 8K, I may stick with what I have.

NOTE: 400 mile return trip resulted in 14.4 mpg!!!

Planned Major service I will perform myself:

Spark plugs ordered and planning install this weekend.
Install new COP boots/springs
Trans service
Coolant change out
New Fuel, air filters, crankcase element
New Gates Fleetrunner (Green) serpentine drive belt

Planned Mods:
Has a factory trans temp gauge in dash but I may go with a ScanGaugeII and install it over rear view mirror with a Blend Mount.

Trans cooler....6.0L diesel trans cooler is what I have read to be the most desired and bolt on.

Double Din stereo with Apple Car Play
Equal-i-zer 10K

nohurry
Explorer
Explorer
Very nice. Congrats! That's a diamond in the rough. You've received good advise so far, and I can only second some of it. First, make sure you have 4:10 gears at least. May have them already, and it's easy to check. If you did want to change them, it wouldn't be expensive since its SRW. Second, I would also have the plugs changed just for peace of mind. Third, I would have the trans serviced. It's the weakest link in that era of Fords. Add a trans temp gauge and never let it over heat and you'll be fine. I'm on the fence with performance/towing tunes. That motor will pull as is, but I also know that Ford left a lot of potential in it. A tune may be worth it just for the improved shifting while towing. I'd hook up and see what you think. Best of luck with her!!
Carl
2007 National RV, Sea Breeze