Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

In and out of RV park to go sightseeing

akvet
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, a couple of questions...

As a new RV'er I have not stayed in an RV park yet. We will are traveling in a small Class A motorhome (30 ft) without a TOAD. If we stay at an RV park for a few days, can we go in and out of the park to go sightseeing each day? Is this normal?

Also, I've overnighted at an RV park last week and as I was leaving I stopped by the office to "check out". The owner smiled at me like I was doing something silly and said, "yeah, yeah... have a nice day". He didn't even ask me my spot number. Is it customery to check out like one does at a hotel or do we just drive out without stopping to check out?
1999 Bounder 28T
27 REPLIES 27

RPreeb
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
Mr.Mark wrote:
We would not be without a toad no matter the size of the RV. Recently, we were in Arkansas and the people across from us had a Sprinter Airstream 22 footer. They would leave during the day and what an ordeal to pack up everything then unpack (awning, chairs, grill, etc.).

I'm one of those different folks with different strokes.

The key to not having an ordeal to pack and unpack everything is to simplify what gets packed and unpacked. It's not much difficulty to unplug an electric cord and drive down from leveling blocks. The more fru-fru that gets set up when camping the more there is to un-setup afterwards.

I suspect to some extent, a toad becomes more necessary when you have one because it's trickier to maneuver and park a motorhome with a toad than one without when sightseeing or shopping. I'm not at all suggesting that it's a bad way to do things, just that the presence of a toad in itself makes it harder to use the rig rather than the toad for running around.

I don't really get your point. If you have the toad, then there is no reason to use the coach for running around. Even a simple setup becomes a pain if you have to deal with it 2 or 3 times a day.

That's one reason why I like a trailer instead. We park the trailer and do our sightseeing, shopping, whatever, with no worries about breaking down the campsite.
Rick
2016 F-150 XLT 4x4 3.5 EB
2017 Jay Feather X213

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Mark wrote:
We would not be without a toad no matter the size of the RV. Recently, we were in Arkansas and the people across from us had a Sprinter Airstream 22 footer. They would leave during the day and what an ordeal to pack up everything then unpack (awning, chairs, grill, etc.).

I'm one of those different folks with different strokes.

The key to not having an ordeal to pack and unpack everything is to simplify what gets packed and unpacked. It's not much difficulty to unplug an electric cord and drive down from leveling blocks. The more fru-fru that gets set up when camping the more there is to un-setup afterwards.

I suspect to some extent, a toad becomes more necessary when you have one because it's trickier to maneuver and park a motorhome with a toad than one without when sightseeing or shopping. I'm not at all suggesting that it's a bad way to do things, just that the presence of a toad in itself makes it harder to use the rig rather than the toad for running around.

ro_sie
Explorer
Explorer
We have always had some sort of runabout with us. Right now at concord and took ourselves and a camper without one to Walmart. Needful things ya know.
ro_sie
Art ( my roomie)
Fleetwood Revolution LE

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
As Bumpyroad mentioned, certainly different strokes for different folks.

If I had a class B Sprinter, I would pull a Smart Car (2,200 lbs.).

Very early on when we rented RV's, we had trouble on several occasions securing a rental car. And, Enterprise cannot always pick you up which happened to us several times.

Safe Travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bumpyroad wrote:
My BIL did not tow a toad when they first started RVing. he found that most of the time,just after he got set up, the wife would remark,'" we are out of xxxxxxx, bread, milk, beer, whatever" so he started using a toad.
bumpy

My wife adapted quickly. Most of the time when we set up, we are miles if not hours from a grocery store. Sometimes it could be a week or two between trips to the store.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
My BIL did not tow a toad when they first started RVing. he found that most of the time,just after he got set up, the wife would remark,'" we are out of xxxxxxx, bread, milk, beer, whatever" so he started using a toad.
bumpy

paddykernahan
Explorer
Explorer
JimK-NY wrote:
I am always amazed to find people want a huge RV, the equivalent of a mobile home, and then find it inconvenient. Then they find they must leave it behind and travel in a tow vehicle, a towed vehicle or even a rental.

I am happy with a smaller RV. My wife and I even found our truck camper large enough for a couple of years of full time living. It goes with us everywhere. In years of RVing we have only rented a car once and that turned out to be more inconvenient that driving the camper.

We bought a 22 foot Class C so we wouldn't need a toad.
I have no problem breaking camp to see the sights.
I have been known to break camp to go to town just for ice cream.
The small Class C has everything we need.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
JimK-NY wrote:
I am always amazed to find people want a huge RV, the equivalent of a mobile home, and then find it inconvenient. Then they find they must leave it behind and travel in a tow vehicle, a towed vehicle or even a rental.

I am happy with a smaller RV. My wife and I even found our truck camper large enough for a couple of years of full time living. It goes with us everywhere. In years of RVing we have only rented a car once and that turned out to be more inconvenient that driving the camper.

news flash. life is a bunch of contradictions. there is not one best RV, boat, house, or automobile. it depends. I met a couple who full timed in a small Born Free. met their needs at the time.
bumpy

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Shouldn't be a problem, but it sounds like its time to look for a toad.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Yes you're allowed to leave. It's not the hotel California! !

but they always leave a mint on my pillow.
bumpy

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Renting a car is a fine plan, but the times we have wanted to do that, the daily tab was 60+$ and only one place available. In resort areas, weekends are expensive, but in business areas it is the opposite.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
Rental car is an excellent option. $25-35 a day is tough to beat to not have to break camp every day , find a spot to park the RV during your sightseeing, and set back up when you return. That will get old fast.

If you do take your RV and break camp, don't leave anything behind of value. It may not be there when you get back.

I can't say I've ever stopped to "check out" of a campground. I've been nudged along if I am still packing up past the check out time. They know when you are leaving. Likely they have the spot already reserved for the next camper.
2013 ACE 29.2

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Yes you're allowed to leave. It's not the hotel California!
Bring an orange cone If it makes you feel better but it's easier sometimes to just leave the wife behind to guard the campsite!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold