cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mixer valve

et2
Explorer
Explorer
Ever since we purchased our MH we've had issues with the hot water tank mixer valve. First year we owned ours this valve was replaced as it was noisy. In less than 3 years it needs replacing again.

Doing some research it seems like these are a known problem. Many failing after dewinterizing ( as ours just did). It really never gave consistant water temps.

Just curious if others have had this problem with this mixer valve. I was just told I should remove it and clean it every year. I tried to get the dealer to bypass it but they declined ( insurance reasons I assume).

It's almost $300
11 REPLIES 11

Old-Biscuit
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious......

Those that 'bypass'---'remove' mixing valve (Atwood XT Models) are you changing out t-stat to lower temp or just leaving the stock 160*F t-stat and then it's user beware (if you even tell anyone) ??
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Cbones
Explorer
Explorer
All you need to do is soak the mixing valve in vinegar for an hour. It will work just fine. They don't seem to like being dry for the winter.

et2
Explorer
Explorer
Well it's finished being repaired. Next time ill just bypass it. The extended warranty paid for it for now.

I thought about the filter, and see others using them. But I guess it wouldn't do much good for calcium build up.

Thanks for the feedback.

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
et2 wrote:
Ever since we purchased our MH we've had issues with the hot water tank mixer valve. First year we owned ours this valve was replaced as it was noisy. In less than 3 years it needs replacing again.

Doing some research it seems like these are a known problem. Many failing after dewinterizing ( as ours just did). It really never gave consistant water temps.

Just curious if others have had this problem with this mixer valve. I was just told I should remove it and clean it every year. I tried to get the dealer to bypass it but they declined ( insurance reasons I assume).

It's almost $300

Call Fleetwood and get the make and model. Most can be purchased at Lowes, Home Depot or on line...for much less than $300. I just put a new Moen in my MH, pretty easy job.
2014 American Eagle

-Gramps-
Explorer
Explorer
Our mixer valve is noisy, but I can live with it, for now.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is everyone who has problems using a whole house water filter so that some of that crud gets filtered out of the water before it gets to the mixing valve? If not, it may help. We have had ours for 7 years, no problem and unit is 17 yrs old. Don't know if it's ever been changed. Could be 17 yrs old.

malexander
Explorer
Explorer
Mine was at the water heater. It stopped up. So I took it out, and replumbed the entire water system around it. Now, it's just like any residential (older) water system.

I'm a licensed plumber, not that it really means anything. BUT, I had all the tools (crimpers), and fittings to do the job.
2007 Fleetwood Bounder 38N 330 Cat DP, 2008 GL1800 Goldwing, Cessna 150 & 172, Rans S6S Coyote, Vans RV9A. Lifetime NRA, EAA, Good Sam member

C20
Explorer
Explorer
We deleted ours when it went bad and it's just like home. Too hot all the way up but throttled back is just fine.
2017 Newmar Essex
97 Jeep Wrangler
16 HD CVO Street glide
2015 Challenger Hellcat
2021 Hellcat Durango
2020 ram 2500 Cummins

Old-Biscuit
Explorer
Explorer
Reason dealer would NOT 'just bypass it' IS due to liability

The Atwood XT model uses a 160*F t-stat to heat water to higher temp then control output temp at130*F by use of that mixer valve.

Bypassing/eliminating mixer valve could easily end up scalding some unsuspecting person/child with 3rd degree burns due to 160*F water at faucets

How a shower mixer valve would be a backup is an mistaken idea.

And after bypassing mixer you can't just change out WH t-stat .....use different connections (which could be replaced provided one is aware!)

Most issues with mixing valve is clogging up with scale/calcium
They can be cleaned----remove/soak in CLR

And you do NOT have to use an OEM one........go to Home Depot/Lowes/ACE and purchase a 1/2" Honeywell Thermal Mixing valve----under $100
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
et2 wrote:

It's almost $300

Couple of Shark Bites and you can by-pass it yourself - you should have a mixer valve in the shower so it is just a backup.

Just MY Humble Opinion,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ours is a 2005, haven't had one fail yet.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.