Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Torsion Axles

Andrewsdk
Explorer
Explorer
Do torsion axles wear out?

We have a 2000 Aerolite Cub and it rides very low to the ground. It also bounces all over the place. It is not uncommon for things to be thrown from all cupboards after going over a speed bump at low rates of speed.

Does that sound like they are worn out? Can they be repaired or do we need to completely replace the axles? Thanks
2000 Aerolite Cub 16' Hybrid
1988 Honey 27 foot Class C
2000 Coleman Tent Trailer
1982 Jayco Tent Trailer
4 REPLIES 4

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
My fifth wheel has torsion axles and I don't think they were specified for their smooth ride. It could be the engineers of your trailer wanted a low ride height or they needed the torsion axle as a structural cross member for the frame, both advantages of torsion axles. If you have tandem axles they are independent so there is no equalization between axles. Shocks are considered not necessary as the rubber cores are supposed to be self damping. As for wearing out, torsion axles have much longer life than hung axles as there is no metal to metal contact to grind and wear.

We had a problem with stuff falling out of cabinets with a lighter weight trailer with hung axles. We used tarp bungees with the plastic knob through the door handles to secure the doors to each other. problem solved.

Andrewsdk
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. We don't have the owners manual, figured out what they were via Google. We may need to find a place who can look at it.
Thanks
2000 Aerolite Cub 16' Hybrid
1988 Honey 27 foot Class C
2000 Coleman Tent Trailer
1982 Jayco Tent Trailer

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
Axles get completely replaced.
Here is what I found: It is certainly possible for any axle to wear out enough over time to need replacing. Since the suspension is built into a torsion axle if the suspension part was to wear out pretty much the only solution would be to replace the axle.

If the deflection, or amount of travel of the wheels, on the torsion axle has increased, caused the trailer to bottom out, or is not the same on each side then that would be a good indication that something is wrong.
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

CaLBaR
Explorer
Explorer
Like everything they can wear out. Only way that I know how to tell is by looking in your owners manual to determine the loaded position of the torsion arms and compare that to yours. If they are further up in angle to the trailer then they are worn out. Also don't think you can repair them.

Depending on the roads trailers do bounce. I have draws on mine open and the dog kennel move around and I know mine aren't worn out.
2018 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2019 RAM 3500 SRW Big Horn 4x4, 6.7 Cummins/Aisin
2007 Rockwood 8298 SS (Traded in 2018)
2009 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Crew Max 5.7L (Traded in 2019)
HP Dual Cam Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller