cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Denver Toll Roads

Terry_25
Explorer
Explorer
We'll be headed south on I25 to I70 east this Summer through Denver. If I simply continue south on I25 to I70 I can avoid the $33 toll. Right?
2016 F-250 Gas
2015 Rockwood 2608WS
10 REPLIES 10

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
Terry 25 wrote:
Busskipper, that route is a little too spectacular for my wife who balks at any road with switchbacks since our Alaska trip.
You don't have to drive the switchbacks to use US 40. You just get off US 40 at Kremmling, drive south on CO 9 to Silverthorne, and take I-70 through the Eisenhower Tunnel to Denver.

Of course, if you are not coming east from SLC, it's a moot point.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

Terry_25
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. Busskipper, that route is a little too spectacular for my wife who balks at any road with switchbacks since our Alaska trip. Thom, I've made notes of your alternates. We should be able to avoid rush hours.
2016 F-250 Gas
2015 Rockwood 2608WS

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thom02099 wrote:
Terry 25 wrote:
We'll be headed south on I25 to I70 east this Summer through Denver. If I simply continue south on I25 to I70 I can avoid the $33 toll. Right?

Right. However, you don't need to go all the way down to I-70. You can take I-270, which cuts across from I-25 to I-70. It exits off I-25SB TO THE LEFT, so if you choose this option, watch for the signage for a LEFT exit for Aurora. If you go this way, make sure to do so preferrably after 10am, when the traffic won't be so bad.

There are other alternatives that us locals use. I get off I-25 at exit 235 (the Dacono exit), and take CO 52 through Ft Lupton and on to Hudson, to the intersection with CO 79, then take that south to Bennett, where you can get on I-70. The minor traffic in Ft. Lupton is nothing compared to what you might experience if you stay on the interstate. And if you time it right, after 10am, there should be no problems with this route and traffic.

X2 I70 east of I25 is a bottleneck most of the day in either direction. And an accident shuts it down quickly. Take Tom's suggestions.

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
Thom02099 wrote:
...You can take I-270, which cuts across from I-25 to I-70. It exits off I-25SB TO THE LEFT, so if you choose this option, watch for the signage for a LEFT exit for Aurora. If you go this way, make sure to do so preferrably after 10am, when the traffic won't be so bad.

Even living near the Denver Metro, just take this route. Try to avoid week days 7a-9a and 3p-6p. Weekends will be OK.

Even if you end up on this route during the "avoid" times, it's not like this is SoCal, Silicon Valley or Manhattan. The traffic is not great but manageable and won't take too much extra time to get through it.

I frequently have to go to the airport via I70 from west of the Denver metro during traffic times and only tack on an additional 30 minutes to be safe. Seems I always arrive with extra time.
I love me some land yachting

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Terry 25 wrote:
Finishing up 2 month trip to visit friends in California. New Orleans and Big Bend NP on the way out. Hope to hear MTC in Salt Lake City, then to Oklahoma City and home to MD.

Where are you coming from to be on I-25?

If it's SLC think about RT 40 just a little different - Dino NM - Steamboat Springs - Back side of RMNP/Grand Lake - Berthoud Pass - RT 6 into Golden.

Love the drive,

Just a thought,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Terry 25 wrote:

Right. However, you don't need to go all the way down to I-70. You can take I-270, which cuts across from I-25 to I-70. It exits off I-25SB TO THE LEFT, so if you choose this option, watch for the signage for a LEFT exit for Aurora. If you go this way, make sure to do so preferrably after 10am, when the traffic won't be so bad.

There are other alternatives that us locals use. I get off I-25 at exit 235 (the Dacono exit), and take CO 52 through Ft Lupton and on to Hudson, to the intersection with CO 79, then take that south to Bennett, where you can get on I-70. The minor traffic in Ft. Lupton is nothing compared to what you might experience if you stay on the interstate. And if you time it right, after 10am, there should be no problems with this route and traffic.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

FunTwoDrv
Explorer
Explorer
Or if you don't mind a lot of stop lights, take a look at 104th over to Tower Rd and south to I70...

Gary

missnmountains
Explorer
Explorer
E470 can be avoided by taking I70 to I25. Unfortunately, you will be going through downtown. As said try to avoid rush hour.

Before we moved full time to Florida, they removed the toll booths and now can and will mail an invoice for the toll based upon your license plate.

Ken
2016 Newmar Dutch Star 4369

Our Blog: Lawrence Adventures

Terry_25
Explorer
Explorer
Finishing up 2 month trip to visit friends in California. New Orleans and Big Bend NP on the way out. Hope to hear MTC in Salt Lake City, then to Oklahoma City and home to MD.
2016 F-250 Gas
2015 Rockwood 2608WS

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Terry 25 wrote:

Just go on by that 470 to - MAP .

Where to from here?

Easy - just avoid the rush hour and the weekend and it is a breeze.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach