cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ram question 3500

Cdaddy
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at upgrading to a 2015 ram 6.4 gas with the 3.73 rear. Long bed. So we can get a 5er.
Looking at the list I can't for the life of me figure out towing weight and 5th wheel towing weight.

Currently have 1500 hemi capable of 9500 and and 5800lb trailer.

Any help to figure out what kind of 5er we could get with this
16 REPLIES 16

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Wild Card wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
blofgren wrote:
Learjet wrote:
good rule of thumb, 10,000 lbs and under good for gas combo....above 10,000 lbs go diesel.

X2. In addition to this if you plan on keeping the truck for a long time go for the Cummins. After having my Cummins for just over 3 years now I can tell you I would not even consider a gasser.... :B

Just wait until you have to replace that DPF or start maintenance on the emission parts. $$$$.... I placed 4 digit dollar signs for a reason.

And you think that blue oval is immune to the same problem? Laughable

He does.:W

Wild_Card
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
blofgren wrote:
Learjet wrote:
good rule of thumb, 10,000 lbs and under good for gas combo....above 10,000 lbs go diesel.

X2. In addition to this if you plan on keeping the truck for a long time go for the Cummins. After having my Cummins for just over 3 years now I can tell you I would not even consider a gasser.... :B

Just wait until you have to replace that DPF or start maintenance on the emission parts. $$$$.... I placed 4 digit dollar signs for a reason.

And you think that blue oval is immune to the same problem? Laughable
2015 Ram 3500 Dually
Sundowner 2286GM Pro-Grade Toyhauler

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
blofgren wrote:
Learjet wrote:

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
mowin wrote:
It would be great to know if this truck is SRW? Dually?

My 3500 6.4 SRW does quite well with my 11k 5er. Just shy of 4200 lb of payload.

Well, seeing how a CDT in good trim LB SRW can push 4,000# payload, I think in this case the TV will run out pulling power before Payload!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

mowin
Explorer
Explorer
It would be great to know if this truck is SRW? Dually?

My 3500 6.4 SRW does quite well with my 11k 5er. Just shy of 4200 lb of payload.

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
SanMarMor wrote:
mtofell1 wrote:

One annoyance every time this comes up is the "just go by the trailer's GVWR" crowd. Honestly, that's crappy advice. A trailer's GVWR is determined by what a trailer "could" carry not what you will put in it. Take the dry weight and account for what you are going to put in it. Also, realize the dry weight may be without batteries, propane tanks and definitely is without water.

A very true statement. When we ordered our trailer, we upgraded the axles from 5000# to 6000#. This added a lot to the GVWR, without adding much to the dry weight of the trailer. We can carry 3600# of cargo, but at the last scale weighing, we were only carrying 1800# of cargo. Know your numbers. It can all be very confusing.

Even with the lower cargo weight of the trailer at the scales, my 2007 one ton dually was just 200# under GVWR. The truck had a lot in the bed though, so it was carrying extra cargo (firewood, bikes, hammocks, tools, pallet step).

Mark

One really needs to look DRY and GVWR!!

It is really surprising how low some 5er's payloads are. 30'+ with 1,200# payload is really bad, then you have the Arctic Fox at 35' and almost 5,000#.
The issues with a gas one ton is NOT going to be payload, it will be what it can pull. The 6.4 Hemi is a strong engine, and if most towing is mostly flat good to go, personally I would consider 12,000# about max for comfortable tow.

Yes! That is totally correct. GVWR IS important so you know cargo capacity. It's amazing how low that will sometimes be. I was looking at it from the other end when they are ridiculously high.

I once had a travel trailer with a 4600# difference between dry weight and GVWR. There's no reason to pair a tow vehicle to a trailer in that instance unless you're a traveling anvil sales rep ๐Ÿ™‚

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at the original post it says "2015" so I assume he is considering a specific used truck.
Or maybe it's a typo.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
SanMarMor wrote:
mtofell1 wrote:

One annoyance every time this comes up is the "just go by the trailer's GVWR" crowd. Honestly, that's crappy advice. A trailer's GVWR is determined by what a trailer "could" carry not what you will put in it. Take the dry weight and account for what you are going to put in it. Also, realize the dry weight may be without batteries, propane tanks and definitely is without water.

A very true statement. When we ordered our trailer, we upgraded the axles from 5000# to 6000#. This added a lot to the GVWR, without adding much to the dry weight of the trailer. We can carry 3600# of cargo, but at the last scale weighing, we were only carrying 1800# of cargo. Know your numbers. It can all be very confusing.

Even with the lower cargo weight of the trailer at the scales, my 2007 one ton dually was just 200# under GVWR. The truck had a lot in the bed though, so it was carrying extra cargo (firewood, bikes, hammocks, tools, pallet step).

Mark

One really needs to look DRY and GVWR!!

It is really surprising how low some 5er's payloads are. 30'+ with 1,200# payload is really bad, then you have the Arctic Fox at 35' and almost 5,000#.
The issues with a gas one ton is NOT going to be payload, it will be what it can pull. The 6.4 Hemi is a strong engine, and if most towing is mostly flat good to go, personally I would consider 12,000# about max for comfortable tow.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Buying a new 3500 RAM it's not that much of a jump to go Cummins. Then there is the AISIN and Rear air Option.

Spend money wisely as in buy it once and be done with it! Don't forget resale.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

SanMarMor
Explorer
Explorer
mtofell1 wrote:

Mark
2007.5 Chevy 3500HD Crew DMax Dually 4x4 w/ Curt Q5 20K Hitch
2011 Sabre 31RETS-6 w/ TrailAir Pin

44 nights in 2013, 37 nights in 2014, 27 nights in 2015, 29 nights in 2016
34 nights in 2017, 27 in 2018

http://camping.morrises.com/

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Learjet wrote:

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
Cdaddy wrote:

Any help to figure out what kind of 5er we could get with this

I have that exact truck and am pretty much maxing it out with my 5th so I can probably help:

5th "dry" brochure weight is 9040#. Much more than that and you will likely overrun some number... or, you may even with that weight.

I'm closest on my payload of 2940# and am sometimes a couple hundred over but am still under my rear axle and tire ratings. 250#+ of my payload is eaten up with a heavy slider hitch that you can forgo with the 8' bed. Also, I travel with wife + 3 kids which is more off the payload.

There are a lot of numbers that come into play and it can be confusing for sure. In the past I've added roughly 2000# of "stuff" to the dry weight of a trailer. Depending on what you pack it could be more or less.

neschultz
Explorer
Explorer
Click on "lookup my vehicle" on this url for a RAM Towing Guide and put in the VIN #. Don't forget payload weight.
Norman & Janet with Minnie the Weiner Dog
2005 SunnyBrook 38 BWQS 5th Wheel (stationary in FL for snowbirding)

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion