cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best route to Oregon Coast from I-5

sharonbus
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking for the best route to cross from I-5 to the Oregon Coast in northern or central part of state. I have an older Class A that is very slow on climbs, so wanting to find the road that has ample passing lanes and fewest climbs. I'm trying to choose between SR 126 from Eugene, US 20, or SR 22 from Salem. Anyone have experience with these 3 routes? Thanks.

I could also go up to US 26 from Portland, if that's the best route. Going to Portland eventually, anyway.
7 REPLIES 7

punomatic
Explorer
Explorer
I guess it depends on where you are going from and to. I like 22 from Salem to Lincoln City. The maximum elevation on that route is 600 ft. The maximum elevation on route 20 is 900 ft., and on 26 it is 1,600 ft. If you have trouble climbing hills, elevation is your enemy. I don't know the maximum elevation on route 138/38. You might want to check that.
DW and Me
2016 Riverside White Water Retro 195
2014 Nissan Titan SL Crew Cab
Formerly, I used to work for the department of redundancy department.

Life in Black and Blue

cruiserjs
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with Mark Twain. That's the way we go from I5 to the coast.
Colorado Cruiser
Cruiser CF29CK 5th wheel; 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD, 2wd, short bed
wonderful lifetime traveling companion/spouse

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Route to Oregon coast-
My choice is always hwy. 138 to hwy 38 to the coast. Turn west at Sutherlin. RV friendly, good road and pretty scenery.

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
OR 22 to OR 18 is the lowest pass at about 800 feet. Good road. If you choose to stay on OR 22 into Hebo it is quite twisty. OR 126 is a good road with the summit at 1000 fee, IIRC. Little bit curvy but not bad. OR 138 into Reedsport is a good road and lot people prefer it, myself I don't but nothing wrong with it. In reality it is about a toss up on what one you take. My only advise of what not to take is OR 36 from Juction City to Mapleton. Doable but it is a goat trail. Not a bad logging road though.

DanNJanice
Explorer
Explorer
US 20 from Corvallis has a new section that shortcuts most of the really curvy areas and is 2 lanes over the steeper parts. In fact I think all of 20 from Corvallis to Newport has 2 lanes on all the uphill portions.
2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 F250 PSD

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
The "best route" is Astoria and south. It's the "best" because most of the turnouts are on the ocean side.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
From and to where? My preference for getting to the central coast has been 22 out of Salem. Far less traffic, nice drive with only a couple of minor hills.