cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weight at the back bumper and balancing the load?

Paul-ish
Explorer
Explorer
Hi there!

I have a 2014 Springdale 189 TT.
I tow with a Ram 1500 and carry my quad in the back of my truck...

For Christmas this year I bought my son a 50cc Quad. I have seen quit a few guys with bumper boxes on their trailers and didn't think the extra 300 pounds would really make a difference...

But driving back home today after a great 3 day trip I got quit the shock when my trailer would really want to sway at high speeds. (This was not the case on my way there as the fresh water tank was full, I dumped all the water I didn't use on the way back.)
We made it home safe and sound, Just took it slow.

Anyway, I'm looking for idea's to balance the trailer. Fully loaded with water I didn't even notice it. But there's gonna be times when I'm coming back after a trip and don't have much water left.

My total weight with the rack and quad is about 300 pounds*
18 REPLIES 18

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I'm happy Paul-ish is in Alberta, that I don't go to Alberta too often and that I probably won't be on the same highway with him.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
If I am over weight I will probably just buy a small trailer and my wife can pull the kids quad behind her Journey.

Are you seriously thinking of carrying an ATV on a fabricated rear rack on a TT ?

2nd car = good idea .

Think about it . Would you drive your vehicle behind someone carrying an ATV on a TT rear rack ? or...would a light come on and say ... i don't feel like wearing a Yamaha necklace today, maybe i should pass him ?

Read the link below. That was a ladder, substitute an ATV fabricated by YOU on a rear bumper where its NOT intended to carried in the first place.
They are not going to come after Ram or Springdale.

http://www.ajc.com/news/local/driver-who-lost-ladder-fatal-285-crash-could-face-criminal-charges/thF...

Paul-ish
Explorer
Explorer
RedRocket204 wrote:
Those weights have nothing to do with payload capacity BTW. You probably are overloaded on payload.

And those suggesting a toy hauler are obviously not educated with OHV riding. There are many places to go ride away from camping areas, how would the OP get both quads to the staging area? Many, many staging areas will not support a RV by way of there is not enough space, think Moab as one example.

The DiamondBack tonneau cover is the best solution, bar none for two quads while being able to tow a TT. OP, keep in mind also that your kid will not be on a 50cc for too long which means upgrading the bike to a larger and heavier one. 3/4 ton + with DiamondBack cover safely covers your options.

I have a DiamondBack on my 1 ton diesel LB and love it. However, my TT is a 9500 lbs GVWR.

Good point, I was thinking toy hauler but there is no way I can get to some of the staging areas with it.
At this point a second vehicle / trailer for the ohv's is sounding like my best option.

Paul-ish
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
Paul-ish wrote:
Trucks towing capacity is 8500
Trailer is 6000 fully loaded and my quad is 700.
I sould be well below safe towing capacity.

Don't you wish. :R If your trailer's GVW truly averages 6000 lbs loaded & ready to camp then you should be running at least 800 lbs of gross tongue weight. Add the weight of everyone in the truck at the time you're towing PLUS that 700 lbs of quad and you're SURE to be over carrying all that weight. The Ram has a rear coil suspension and with that comes an excessively low GVWR for a 1/2 ton, which is in contradiction to decent payload capacity. If you've not already done so you really need to go weigh your truck with a full tank of gas, make note of it's GVWR, it's GCWR, and do the math. Guaranteed, you're exceeding the capacity of this truck, regardless of what's under the hood. 😞

Right, First thing I need to do is find out the actual numbers.
If i'm not over weight already, I won't throw in the towel yet.
If I am over weight I will probably just buy a small trailer and my wife can pull the kids quad behind her Journey.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Paul-ish wrote:

Don't you wish. :R If your trailer's GVW truly averages 6000 lbs loaded & ready to camp then you should be running at least 800 lbs of gross tongue weight. Add the weight of everyone in the truck at the time you're towing PLUS that 700 lbs of quad and you're SURE to be over carrying all that weight. The Ram has a rear coil suspension and with that comes an excessively low GVWR for a 1/2 ton, which is in contradiction to decent payload capacity. If you've not already done so you really need to go weigh your truck with a full tank of gas, make note of it's GVWR, it's GCWR, and do the math. Guaranteed, you're exceeding the capacity of this truck, regardless of what's under the hood. 😞
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
Those weights have nothing to do with payload capacity BTW. You probably are overloaded on payload.

And those suggesting a toy hauler are obviously not educated with OHV riding. There are many places to go ride away from camping areas, how would the OP get both quads to the staging area? Many, many staging areas will not support a RV by way of there is not enough space, think Moab as one example.

The DiamondBack tonneau cover is the best solution, bar none for two quads while being able to tow a TT. OP, keep in mind also that your kid will not be on a 50cc for too long which means upgrading the bike to a larger and heavier one. 3/4 ton + with DiamondBack cover safely covers your options.

I have a DiamondBack on my 1 ton diesel LB and love it. However, my TT is a 9500 lbs GVWR.
I love me some land yachting

Paul-ish
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
Paul-ish wrote:
For Christmas this year I bought my son a 50cc Quad. I have seen quit a few guys with bumper boxes on their trailers and didn't think the extra 300 pounds would really make a difference...

But driving back home today after a great 3 day trip I got quit the shock when my trailer would really want to sway at high speeds.

You already have an improperly handling combination and you now want to make it even worse by adding another 300 lbs to the far rear of the trailer?!! :S Good luck with that, let us know how that goes! :W

Sorry, but it seems to me you have much greater problems than worrying about mounting an additional 300 lbs exactly where it shouldn't be on any trailer, but most particularly on such a short trailer as yours. :R

FWIW, I recently declined the opportunity to purchase a low mileage 2015 Ram Hemi 1/2 ton, mostly for one specific reason - significant lack of payload capacity when compared to the Chevy Silverado 1/2 ton I did buy. The fact your truck / trailer combination handles so badly could easily be attributed to having a quad in the back of the truck while also towing the trailer - hard to believe you're not already significantly exceeding the truck's payload capacity and most particularly it's Gross Rear Axle Rating. :E

Paul-ish
Explorer
Explorer
RCMAN46 wrote:
Time to go to the scales and determine what your tongue weight really is.

Do this loaded as when you were having the sway problem.

300 lbs on the back of the trailer may be too much for the trailer.

Does the trailer have a factory hitch and what is the weight capacity?

Good info, Thanks.
Yes factory hitch with sway bars.
Trailer max weight is 6000 pounds. Dry weight is 4300
I';ll find the closest scale and find out actual weights

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
dodge guy wrote:
Toy hauler time!

Yep!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Toy hauler time!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
Wow that's a lot of weight in the back for a bumper pull TT. And you actually have a bumper that can hold that weight?

I dont think its a great idea to have more than 150lbs back there with out knowing exactly what its doing to your tongue weight. But its just as bad to put heavy object in back as it is up front to try to compensate. You sort of rob Peter to pay Paul but its never an even trade. lol

And what sort of rack are you putting the little quad on back there? Even if your bumper or frame mounted hitch could hold the quad, the rack must weigh 50-80lbs on its own doesn't it?

Man...this does not sound good!

Bob E's suggestion is the best. As well, you would use a front mounted hitch and not worry as much about overloading the rear end. A front hitch and rack will hold your little quad and rack easy, but it would sure catch some eyes! That's better than catching some cars or trucks when should the quad fall of the back of the trailer! OUCH!

Bob_E_
Explorer
Explorer
Look at a Diamond Back Truck Bed cover and haul both quads on the truck. Yeah, I know they are expensive, but so is a new camper...or an accident caused by an ill-handling rig. Just double check your truck payload capacity first.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
You are lucky you made it home. You have made your trailer unstable by not having enough tongue weight. One evasive movement and the sway will get worse taking you to the scene of the accident.
Even a bigger truck will not solve the problem. You need a small TH trailer for the 50.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Paul-ish wrote:

But driving back home today after a great 3 day trip I got quit the shock when my trailer would really want to sway at high speeds.

You already have an improperly handling combination and you now want to make it even worse by adding another 300 lbs to the far rear of the trailer?!! :S Good luck with that, let us know how that goes! :W

Sorry, but it seems to me you have much greater problems than worrying about mounting an additional 300 lbs exactly where it shouldn't be on any trailer, but most particularly on such a short trailer as yours. :R

FWIW, I recently declined the opportunity to purchase a low mileage 2015 Ram Hemi 1/2 ton, mostly for one specific reason - significant lack of payload capacity when compared to the Chevy Silverado 1/2 ton I did buy. The fact your truck / trailer combination handles so badly could easily be attributed to having a quad in the back of the truck while also towing the trailer - hard to believe you're not already significantly exceeding the truck's payload capacity and most particularly it's Gross Rear Axle Rating. :E
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380