cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sat amp?

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in yet another situation of using almost 100 feet of coax to reach the Pathway X2 from the VIP 211k. I have good (beacon?) strength from all three western arc sats, while signal strength is very low; I'm only getting a few channels, SD only. Of course elsewhere using a 25-foot coax all is well.

So...since the X2 is powered from the receiver, how about using an inline amp to overcome that long coax of course placing the amp at the dish?

A happy wife is a happy life, and Mom likes her TV.
-jbh-
9 REPLIES 9

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
2oldman wrote:
I only get one tuner at 100' with a SWM lnb. Perhaps my cable is c rap.
For SWM (and maybe other installations) DTV uses high quality RG6 coax and connectors due to the much higher bandwidth requirements that 8 HD channels require. The connectors are L1RC SMS Ultimate which has a red cap and HF-81 with a yellow insert barrel connectors. We previously had PCT-DRS-6 compression fittings which he indicated had coax shield contact issues. 150' is the SWM limit.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
I only get one tuner at 100' with a SWM lnb. Perhaps my cable is c rap.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
My Directv works great with 100'. ๐Ÿ™‚ Try a new run of RG-6.
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

fpresto
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Directv doesn't do well at 100' either.

I have to disagree with that statement. At my S&B my run is about 125 ft. with no issues. My signal strengths are in the 90s. I worked many years with coax cables from cheap to very expensive. A good quality RG-6 will have approximately 5 dB difference between 25ft and 100ft at 2000 Mhz. While it is a loss, it will still be well within DIRECTV limits. By far the most common cause of a weak signal in order are poor or poorly installed connectors, too many splitters or two many splices. If OP verifies the connectors or replaces his cable with one with good connectors already installed he will probably have no more issues.
USN Retired
2016 Tiffin Allegro 32 SA

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I used one of those small inline amplifiers about $20 at walmart and it did kick the signal up a bit. don't remember the exact numbers but it worked. IIRC I put it on the 4-6 ft drop from the LNB.
bumpy

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Directv doesn't do well at 100' either.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
I suspect your coax or connectors are not working properly. Should not be such a dramatic difference between 25 and 100 feet.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

agwill
Explorer
Explorer
Use better coax!
al

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
They work fine, but be careful where you put it. Too close to the LNB and you'll overload the line amp. Too close to the receiver and it won't help at all. About 1/2 way is bueno.

That said, 100' isn't really that far away..
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350