cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Speechless!

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
This guy dropped this off last week and I couldn't get a picture. Well today I was able to. Overheard him saying he only takes it to the lakes with it, but that is over an hour away at about 50 miles. Can't imagine launching it! I believe it is about a 26-28ft deck boat with a 350 I/O. Says any farther and he borrows a truck.

Here ya go!!!!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!
42 REPLIES 42

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
That Acura MDX, approximately an '05, has a tow rating of 4500. That boat, which is NOT as big as so many of you are saying, looks like a Four Winns F244, it's not a "deck boat" its a bowlder sport boat and total, trailer and all, its around 6000 pounds.

This guy is a bit over but if he knows how to drive, he is gonna make it to the boat ramp, The car is all wheel drive and it will haul the boat out on a slippery ramp.

Personally I wouldn't do it, I'd use a truck to tow it, but it's not as bad as some of you are making it sound.
And someone mentioned weight-distributing hitch - boat trailers have surge brakes, not electric. Weight distributing hitches really don't work well with those.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
One thing to keep in mind is... it's a boat. Boats tow a LOT easier than a TT. A friend of mine used to tow a 28" boat with twin V8s using a regular Chevy Astro van. A trailer that length and weight would have killed the Astro.

That said, it looks a bit light in the front. I'll bet this guy has some white knuckle moments at the boat ramp.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Just the fact of loss of steering control should be enough explanation.
The front tires are barely making contact.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Camper_G
Explorer
Explorer
While we don't know the specs and weights, it sure seems from the photo the Acura is likely over it's payload rating.

I could not tell, but it didn't look like any wdh was installed either.

Clearly this person has the financial means to have a proper tow vehicle. This is not about who can afford what. It's about someone who does not appear to understand weights, limits and payload.

There's nothing wrong with rving with an older truck and trailer. I actually like seeing them in the cg and being used. My camper is 28yrs old now. I want to see as many people out rving as possible, regardless of what they can or can't afford.

In my youth i towed a 21', single axle 1977 Go-Tag with an 1987 ford ranger 4x4. The ranger was way overloaded. Why? Because i was ignorant back then about weights/payload and didn't know any better. I think this is mostly why we see things like this. Folks just don't know any better.

Yes, back in the 60s and 70s, cars and station wagons were used to pull TTs, but let's be honest here, those full size cars and wagons were built as heavy as half ton trucks in frame, steering and suspension components you can't compare a uni body vehicle to one that's body on frame for heavy towing duty.

I'm very glad i had the forethought to get involved with this forum and it's great members. I've certainly learned a lot and had a few laughs along the way.

I hope yall are having a happy memorial day weekend. Remember our military and the ones that paid the ultimate price so we can live free and go camping.
2017 Dodge Ram 2500 HD, 4x4, CCSB, 6.4L HEMI, Snow Chief, tow package.,1989 Skyline Layton model 75-2251.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
dodge guy wrote:
I also remember not wearing a seat belt when I was 5 and driving from IL to NJ!

And yes if he's using an Acura SUV to tow his 25+ft deck boat then he has the financial means and the knowledge to know better!

And if 60's and 70's cars were so good then how come you guys aren't using them to tow your trailers?

Little off topic, which is weird because this thread like most is totally on track here on page 4, but, dude, I can't believe your parents let you drive when you were 5 years old!

On the old car topic, spoon said it pretty well a couple posts ago. Just because someone doesn't have the cheese for a high dollar ultra overly capable setup doesn't mean they're a menace to society. The point about the old cars is one I've made before. Most of y'all are umm, senior citizens, and I doubt highly that most of you were weighing your cargo on a gram scale to add to the equation or hitting every closed truck stop along the way to analyze your rear axle weight compared to the published specs. No, you, I, we hooked up and drove. Now, your cynicism with respect to these issues is simply a product of becoming more fickle and big dealing things that folks who have a lot more to do every day either don't think about or take for granted.
But hooking that big tub of a 4 winns to a compact SUV is pretty dumb.......unless maybe he was just tugging it a short distance from the launch.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Good thing I was 1275 miles away from this public menace when the offence occurred...

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
mkirsch wrote:
I am talking about situations as depicted at the beginning of this thread, where the trailer in tow is clearly exceeding the tow vehicle's capabilities.

Do we know the capabilities and the weights here? Assuming its an Acura MDX, but heck if I know. They are rated for 5500 lbs, depending on the year.

No clue what kind of boat that is. OP suggested its possibly a 26 footer with an inboard engine. Perhaps someone can chime in and identify the boat and model... but a 26 foot deck boat can be as light as 4000ish lbs and higher.

The Acura is really meant to be a more luxury vehicle, not necessarily have a rigid suspension. All are assuming its overweight, but without any specific numbers, we don't know.

And yes, as long as everyone gets home safe that IS all that matters...

I brought that up earlier. Looks to be the 24' Four Winns deck boat. Likely 5500 ish pounds. The MDX I looked at was rated 6500 pounds.

This isn't ideal, but not as bad as some make it to be.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
mkirsch wrote:
I am talking about situations as depicted at the beginning of this thread, where the trailer in tow is clearly exceeding the tow vehicle's capabilities.

Do we know the capabilities and the weights here? Assuming its an Acura MDX, but heck if I know. They are rated for 5500 lbs, depending on the year.

No clue what kind of boat that is. OP suggested its possibly a 26 footer with an inboard engine. Perhaps someone can chime in and identify the boat and model... but a 26 foot deck boat can be as light as 4000ish lbs and higher.

The Acura is really meant to be a more luxury vehicle, not necessarily have a rigid suspension. All are assuming its overweight, but without any specific numbers, we don't know.

And yes, as long as everyone gets home safe that IS all that matters...
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Again... you are missing the point. Not everyone is as fortunate as I am to be able to afford a (used) modern diesel and a nice travel trailer. Some people have to use older cars, older trailers, tents, or simply not go and enjoy these experiences with their families.

No, they do not "have" to, and that is sometimes the problem. People have their priorities so screwed up that they are putting their families in unsafe situations simply because they can't say "NO" either to themselves or their children.

I'm not talking about simply running "not new" campers and tow vehicles. My truck is 15 years old and my camper is 17 years old. I am talking about situations as depicted at the beginning of this thread, where the trailer in tow is clearly exceeding the tow vehicle's capabilities.

But I guess if you get from point A to point B without killing anyone, we should all just shut up and be okay with it.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Just let the boat forums worry about this guy...
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Agree again...and again up to a point...

First...get out there and spend lots of time out there...as the setup is starting for the sale of lots and lots of our public lands, parks, etc

I no longer off road as much. Partially being 69 now, but years and years ago noticed a huge change....trash and messing up the landscape by these (yes, a broad brush...but there are so many fitting this description that it seems like all of them) and why I no longer pull anyone out of the jam they could have avoided. Used to, but after stopping by to see if can help a group who were yelling at each other....

Stuckee was yelling at the pullee...claiming he bent his bumper by pulling him out. Pullee tried to leave, but the stuckee's buddies blocked his move...

Left them to whatever solution they came to...

Since then, considered helping a couple times and both times exact result...told them okay, but they have to sign a waiver and I'll not use their nylon strap, but my choker chain and it has to be wrapped around their frame (they had no tow hooks on their fashion statement AWD CUV)...of course they refused and that did it...won't pull anyone out again

How does this apply to this thread?

Goes to the type of person I'm talking about, not whom spoon is talking about

Call them part of the Fashion Statement Crowd that has the ability to either pay for, or credit enough to charge one of these play setups.

Since they are more into the Fashion Statement, they do not weight the ratings/specifications high on their list...or ignore it altogether...many of them are providing advice on these forums...

Talked to many out there and tell them one of my metrics when hiking in the wilderness...THREE cans of SPAM and other provisions...when open the first can of SPAM...time to turn back, as either ate everything edible or they are hiding knowing I'm hungry...they think that is gross...or stupid...good...they won't go where I like to go...

PS...my TV's are a 1980 Silverado C10 (the HD version of it's era) and a 1996 K3500 with a 7.4L Suburban. Don't tow much with the C10 anymore as it is 37 years old and +500K miles. Just property mule. Can afford the new stuff...but why? Take care of my K3500 and it will tow for many more years vs the C10. Dad's grocery/butcher shop truck and gave it to me when he retired. Never took care of it and overloaded it often coming back from the produce market and slaughter house
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
dodge guy wrote:
And if 60's and 70's cars were so good then how come you guys aren't using them to tow your trailers?

Again... you are missing the point. Not everyone is as fortunate as I am to be able to afford a (used) modern diesel and a nice travel trailer. Some people have to use older cars, older trailers, tents, or simply not go and enjoy these experiences with their families.

When I was growing up, we weren't going hungry... but my parents didn't have the money to spend on a dedicated tow vehicle and a state of the art camper. But you know what, we had amazing experiences growing up and camping with that old van and junky camper. I saw the native ruins at Mesa Verde, I looked into the Grand Canyon, I ran on the beach in San Diego, I saw the Golden Gate Bridge, I stood beside the redwoods in Big Sur, I saw the Badlands, I walked in the French Quarter in New Orleans, I walked the strip in Vegas. These are all experiences that I wouldn't have had without that camper. That's not including trips to Hershey Park... the beach... Boston... visiting family in Canada, etc. I wouldn't trade those experiences for anything. Those experiences created the desire to share similar experiences with my family.

You and I and the vast majority of the people on this forum have the kind of disposable income (or available credit) to engage in this lifestyle. We love to camp, but more importantly my kids love to camp. They are able to spend substantially more recreation time with both sets of grandparents, with cousins and with friends. They are able to enjoy the lake... enjoy the Gulf of Mexico... visit historic cities... go the beach. They are able to enjoy all of this because of our truck and camper.

If we couldn't afford a 2015 truck and camper, should my family not be able to enjoy those experiences? Your post would seem to suggest that mentality. That is quite the pompous attitude, and I don't think you really feel that way. I think you enjoy camping for many reasons, but you may have lost sight of those that are possibly less fortunate that you or me.

The fact of the matter is that we have no evidence to suggest that the original guy didn't safely get to his destination, enjoy his vacation, share amazing experiences with his family/kids, enjoy rest and relaxation and then get home safely. Isn't that the ultimate objective of this endeavor?

There are other things to boating/rving besides making snide comments about what make of truck/boat/camper you have, how long you leave your lights on at night and how much smoke your campfire creates.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I also remember not wearing a seat belt when I was 5 and driving from IL to NJ!

And yes if he's using an Acura SUV to tow his 25+ft deck boat then he has the financial means and the knowledge to know better!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
Yep, except they don't build those cars anymore. And nowadays there are so many more acceptable options that setups like this are unnecessary!

You seem to be missing my point. Back in the 60's it was the norm to way overload your vehicle, slug up a hill at 15 mph and stop repeatedly because its overheating. I remember going across the country when I was a teen and we would have to turn the AC off going up hills because the van was overheating. But you know what... we eventually made it up that hill, made it safely down the other side, made it to California and back. Nowadays, the RV.net police would have arrested my entire family, sentenced my dad to hard labor and sent the kids to foster families...

Just because there are "more acceptable options" doesn't mean that someone without the financial means to buy the newest, biggest and best rigs shouldn't be able to enjoy camping. All of the people who are so up in the thin air on their high horses should really calm down...

Heck, I remember the cars of the 60s and 70s overheating just getting themselves up a hill with the AC on.

I'm not in the camp that thinks you need a F-350 to pull a 5x8 utility trailer, but this guy really is overloaded and probably a danger on the road. I wouldn't be too concerned with him (or her), as that is simply Darwin at work. I'd be concerned with the other folks that are put in harms way because of him. Considering his toys, I don't think he's in financial ruin.