cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

adding more batteries

23hotrodr
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2007 Itasca Suncruiser 35L on a Wh24 chassis, with the customary 2 house batteries in the steps. I want to add 2 more house batteries and am not sure of the best place to put them. I would prefer not to take up any basement storage with batteries, but will if no other possibilities.

Anyone else out there with a Winnebago MH do this? Any good suggestions on a good place to add 2 more house batteries in this particular MH?

Thanks-- Mick
2007 Itasca Suncruiser 35L
2000 Jeep Wrangler
8 REPLIES 8

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
When I had a Ford chassis, there was plenty of room for more batteries behind the front grill but I never needed more than the 2, 6 volt batteries that it had.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

MrWizard
We have a safari
And I put the extra batteries in the basement
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
Mick.....I've seen it done two ways. One....they mount them behind the grill on the frame. The only issue, you have to run a lot of wiring. Second, my neighbor just did the upgrade that you want to do. He did it on his Fleetwood Fiesta with the batteries mounted under the steps. He had a storage bay, directly behind the front door. He found a battery box that holds two six volt batteries end to end, not side to side. He mounted it against the wall between the bay and steps.

This installation was very clean, took up minimal storage and put the wiring within inches of the other batteries.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
You didn't mention that your current batteries are acting up or that you plan to do a bunch of dry/boondock camping. If you are an RV park type of family, why upgrade now? Wait until they show signs of failure then up grade as suggested - T105s, T125s etc.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

tderonne
Explorer
Explorer
4 batteries under the step is a common upgrade on Winnebago gassers.

This post may help.
Tim

2004 Winnebago Adventurer 31Y
Ford chassis

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Get AGMs and you can put them in any position anywhere.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, AH is everything on the batteries. Have you tried golf cart batteries wired in series parallel? They have A LOT more amp hours and typically are just a LITTLE bit taller than deep cycle.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
You didn't say what the ampere hour rating is on the batteries. If they're typical 12v "deep cycle" marine/RV, then I think the number I saw floating around this forum was 62 AH. If that's the case, then just replacing those batteries with 6 volt deep cycle golf cart batteries such as Trojan T-105s will get you 225 AH, discharging to 50 percent basically doubles your capacity, so it would be like adding 2 batteries.

Another thing to consider; unless your existing batteries are new, you'll probably need to buy 4 so they would balance out.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox