cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camping in Europe, where to get a used class B

drsolo
Explorer
Explorer
I think I have finally convinced DH to retire next year. We want to camp in various places in Europe, England, France, Italy. I got a little RVan, a conversion van stripped and outfitted as a little RV. I guess we would like to pick up a little used B. I went with my mother to Europe in 1972, we bought a VW station wagon and camped out of that mostly in Yugoslavia and it was just fabulous.
Has anyone done anything like this? Is there a website for people who have done this so I can benefit from their experience? TIA
Ingrid and Dan Retired teachers from Milwaukee, WI
1992 GMC Vandura conversion
14 REPLIES 14

mkguitar
Explorer
Explorer
drsolo wrote:

I get the main page and then the links go nowhere. sigh.

I checked before posting and the website was up- and it is up now.

pick up locations in the UK, London, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Belfast and in Dublin.

units from 2 sleeper vans and pop tops to 4 and 6 sleeper "b+" & C types

Once you are a known user they also email out special offers when they need new units moved from build in Italy to the UK- basically they give you 2 weeks and cover the ins. you cover the diesel

Mike

drsolo
Explorer
Explorer
boogerbear wrote:
We always travelled in September when the kids were back in school. I don't recall ever needing an A/C. and we travelled in The Netherlands,Belgium ,Luxembourg , France,Germany ,Austria. In the summer months 80 to 85 is considered tropical.Maybe that is why they don't have A/C in their R/V 's. We also did the British Isles in the summer in 1997. All you need there is an umbrella. Hellaciously ???? hot ? Not likely../

no heat wave? I watch the weather channel all the time and when I hear about elderlies dying from the heat I pay attention.

boogerbear
Explorer
Explorer
We always travelled in September when the kids were back in school. I don't recall ever needing an A/C. and we travelled in The Netherlands,Belgium ,Luxembourg , France,Germany ,Austria. In the summer months 80 to 85 is considered tropical.Maybe that is why they don't have A/C in their R/V 's. We also did the British Isles in the summer in 1997. All you need there is an umbrella. Hellaciously ???? hot ? Not likely..

/

drsolo
Explorer
Explorer
boogerbear wrote:
I have rented a class b three times in Germany in 2008 ,2010 and 2013 , and always from a company called DRM or Deutsche Reismobile .

It doesnt appear that any of these have AC in the main body, just up front while driving the RV. It can get hellaciously hot in summer if we go then. I dont understand why they dont have AC.

boogerbear
Explorer
Explorer
I have rented a class b three times in Germany in 2008 ,2010 and 2013 , and always from a company called DRM or Deutsche Reismobile . Normally there is a tax ( VAT) on all purchases in Europe.When renting an RV rent for longer then 28 days and you do not have to pay the VAT.The rental rate was 95 Euros per day at the time for periods up to 28 days .We rented for 31 days and the rate dropped to 76 Euros and to 56 Euros for the four additional days. I believe that DRM also sells their used models . ( as does McRent )

drsolo
Explorer
Explorer
Naio wrote:
Check out SABconsulting's trip reports in the truck camping forum,
He and wife travel all over Europe and Africa, sometimes with rentals and sometimes with their own rig. I'm sure he could point you in the right direction.

?? I dont know where to find him.

drsolo
Explorer
Explorer
mkguitar wrote:
I have used

http://www.bunkcampers.com/

fun!

Mike

I get the main page and then the links go nowhere. sigh.

drsolo
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
We've rented a camper van in Germany for a week a couple years back. It's different but very much enjoyable.

where from?
From what I have found so far they are expensive, like $166 per day IF they have AC, shower, microwave. TIA

okhmbldr
Explorer
Explorer
Where's the weight police? They're pulling Airstreams with BMW's and Audi's.

mkguitar
Explorer
Explorer
I have used

http://www.bunkcampers.com/

fun!

Mike

eubank
Explorer
Explorer
To heck with that! Get an Airstream and join WBCCI Europe!

๐Ÿ™‚
Lynn

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Check out SABconsulting's trip reports in the truck camping forum, and pm him.

He and wife travel all over Europe and Africa, sometimes with rentals and sometimes with their own rig. I'm sure he could point you in the right direction.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
No affiliation but we followed this blog (there are lots of them out there). They go over some of the issues taking an RV to Europe.

http://www.theroadgoeseveron.com/Home

We've rented a camper van in Germany for a week a couple years back. It's different but very much enjoyable.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Have you Googled RV rentals in Europe yet?

Like here?