cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Me Pick A New Camper!

girlbuffalo1
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking for advice on a new camper. I currently own a '13 Rockwood Premier A-liner style 124 camper. I love this camper however I really just want a little more space--and enough room for two separate sleeping quarters.

I haul my camper with a '15 Toyota Highlander XLE (standard with tow package for 5000k tow and 500lb hitch).

I want lightweight though and not to destroy my MPG (right now I get about 16mpg when towing).

Features I am looking for: Two sleeping spaces--would prefer two actual separate beds or a bed/bunks and a separate dinette that seats at least two---but will consider a regular bed and a convertable dinette (not preferred) Some that I really like right now:

Forest River Wildwood X-Lite 197 BH XL
Gulf Stream Amerilite Superlite 198 BH
Coachmen Apex Nano 185 BH
Forest River R Pod 179
Pacific Coachworks Northland 14 RBS
Serro Scotty S189BHR
Starcraft Launch 17BH
20 REPLIES 20

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
You can pick your nose. You can pick your friends. You can't pick your friends nose (or his Travel Trailer.)

Avalie
Explorer
Explorer
We have the same towing requirements that you have. We have a TrailManor 2922KS. We have almost 15,000 miles on it. We have camped in rain, snow, freezing temps and 100 degree weather. We were always dry and comfortable. We have set up and down in rain and snow. It doesn't get wet inside and the process is relatively fast. We had a tent trailer. The TrailManor is so much nicer. There is more space, more storage and a hard sided bathroom with a toilet, sink, shower and tub. Check out the TrailManor owners forum website. http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/index.php

Fireballsocal
Explorer
Explorer
The OP might want to check out trailmanor, if unfolding the RV at site is acceptable. They tuck way down like the pop up yet unfold into a hardside lightweight trailer with lots of room.

I had a hi-lo, a similar trailer and while it worked out great for me, I have to admit I am lazy and raising and lowering the thing every time I wanted in got old, along with the 2 piece door. I am now in a conventional hardside trailer (Lance 1880) and have lost between 1-2 MPG between the 2 trailers.

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Are you really going to listen to what people say or just buy the one you want? I'd buy the one I want. I would never by a single axle trailer. We own a TT, a stock trailer, a flat equipment trailer and a boat trailer. All but the boat trailer are tandem, it came with the boat.

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
No matter which one you get, you'll have some kind of trouble with it.
Especially that Forest River.
And they are all put together with non skilled craftsmen using junk materials
I just hope you don't get a complete lemon like we did with our 2016
Forest river that we bought new.

If I were to buy another travel trailer (which I won't) I would forget about the lower priced ones and get a high end one like Air Stream.

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

Ductape_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Have a look a the Coachmen Clipper 17bh. It has a lot going on inside and we are very happy with ours. Your tow rating is the same as mine and I have no problem towing. Good Luck!
2016 Coachmen Clipper 17BH
2016 Toyota 4Runner SR5

casbar
Explorer
Explorer
Any concern about have single or double axle?

Bagger97
Explorer
Explorer
Check out T@B 400 or 320 (NuCamp)
Alan & Patty
2020 Tiffin Open Road
2020 Nissan Versa toad
Gypsy Rose

pamvanw
Explorer
Explorer
We just love our Lance 1475. Our answer to the single propane tank is to keep a spare in a crate in the truck. Our trailer came with a really good battery so we're hoping one will do the trick.
Pam
2012 Arctic Fox 30U
2012 GMC Sierra 3500 D/A

normal_dave
Explorer
Explorer
Another idea, for new, consider Riverside RV.

Their 177SE Retro trailer has a twin bed option. I believe their construction is standard for the industry, but I've read multiple sources that praise their quality control. They are made in Indiana, take a plant tour.
177 review

Video walk around Retro 177 twin:
177 Retro twin walk around

Also, reach out to Alabama Jim on this forum, he went to tour the factory and came home with his Retro. He seems very pleased with the quality, and recommends them often.

They are "old school cool", and one of the few twin bed setups available, which are quite favorable for comfortable camping rest. If the appliances are generally the same across brands, we are left with construction materials, quality of assembly, factory backing, and floor plan choice. (most important after quality for me).

Good Luck!

Edit: PM sent...
1995 Ford E-150 Club Wagon Chateau Van
2012 Cargo Trailer Conversion Camper/Hauler

YShaheen
Explorer
Explorer
As the owner of a three year Pacific Coachworks travel trailer that has used a handful of times I would advise you to steer clear of that brand. We have had a litany of problems with ours and I would burn it to the ground if it was legal. Not cheap problems either. Leaking, floor buckling in multiple locations, etc. We were in ours last week (on our eighth camping trip in our trailer) while camping in the Tetons. It was raining outside and water was actually dripping on me head as I sat in bed reading. I would never purchase another Pacific Coachworks trailer and we are currently weighing our options.

sky_free
Explorer
Explorer
Better fuel economy is possible with a small fiberglass trailer like a Casita, Escape or Scamp. We have a 2017 Honda Pilot which is very comparable to your Highlander and tow an Escape 17B which is right at about 3,000 lbs loaded. On the last trip I hand checked a full tank of gas and averaged 15 MPG. I don't drive slowly either -- 65 mph when conditions allow.

With my diesel VW Touareg TDI I was getting 19-20. VW is buying it back so now we use the Pilot.

However, I don't think it's really worth trading what fits your camping style for fuel economy. The only real issue is that you will be stopping for fuel very often. As an actual cost, it's not that significant.
2017 Escape 17B, 2012 VW Touareg

Cyclops62
Explorer
Explorer
We recently brought a used Lance 1575 and I think it's awesome. We camped with 4 adults and a large dog. We towed it with our 2016 Nissan Pathfinder, also 5000 & 500 hitch, without any issues. This summer we are taking it to Colorado.

girlbuffalo1
Explorer
Explorer
I actually really like that lance 1575 i'll have to look into it!