cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

truck Tool Boxes

Tony_B
Explorer
Explorer
Would it be safe to assume that in an aluminum PU Truck Too Box, tools will rust if not protected by plastic boxes/ wraps, etc?
Tony B
10 REPLIES 10

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
I have had rust issues with steel boxes, I dont have aluminum. Seems that when it rains there is enough moisture in the air that it will condense in the box when it gets hot from the sun. So I would guess it could be a problem with any box.

GKAbbott
Explorer
Explorer
I have a chest type box that sits in the bed. Currently it is sitting in about 2 incbes of water. Dry inside. Have another on the back of the 5er, no water in it either.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
No problems here.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
nohurry wrote:
I live in western Washington, not exactly dry. I have an alum tool box, but I keep contents in plastic boxes. Insures they stay dry, but also serves to keep things sorted/categorized. If I need my small tool set, I just grab that box. If I need my ratchet straps, I just grab that box. You get the idea. It's a system that works well for me. As to your question, I've never noticed water inside the main box itself.

My tool boxes sweat in the winter. And I can freeze a pair of Kleins or dikes up solid in a season if not used or oiled. Of course it gets opened in the rain sometimes.
In TX not a problem unless maybe you just throw away the key and expect to come back to shiny tools in 5 years.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Greg_B
Explorer
Explorer
Been using an across the bed tool box for over 30 years now. Never had a problem with tools rusting.
04 Dodge 1 ton dually, Cummins, auto, quad cab, 4x4, SLT, Sport, Reese Titan V

04 Lance 1161, TV/DVD, high efficiency A/C, Honda EU2000

BarryG20
Explorer
Explorer
I have had a tool box on my truck for 17 years and never had anything rust. First one for 16 years was a DeeZee aluminum box red label. New one is a Pro Tech and while I do not have any long term evidence yet on the new one I know it doesn't leak, so far anyway. I live in Colorado so it is fairly dry humidity wise. I have heard of people saying that theirs doesn't leak yet it still gets wet inside, condensation perhaps from too good of a seal. In which case a couple holes drilled in the bottom of the box should take care of that. I know my new Pro Tech is certainly sealed much better than the DeeZee was so I am keeping an eye in it but so far have not noticed any issues with condensation.
2016 Jayco 28.5 RLTS

nohurry
Explorer
Explorer
I live in western Washington, not exactly dry. I have an alum tool box, but I keep contents in plastic boxes. Insures they stay dry, but also serves to keep things sorted/categorized. If I need my small tool set, I just grab that box. If I need my ratchet straps, I just grab that box. You get the idea. It's a system that works well for me. As to your question, I've never noticed water inside the main box itself.
Carl
2007 National RV, Sea Breeze

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't say Houston counts as "dry" by any means but I doubt the OP would have major issues with rusting tools in a tool box.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
No
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wouldn't expect you to have rust problems in a dry place like Texas. Most of the aluminum boxes have decent seals - not water tight, but they keep out the rain and snow. I didn't have any problems in Alaska.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.