cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for beach camping recommendations in SoCal...

rivalrider
Explorer
Explorer
Hi guys,

My wife and I are looking for beach camping recommendation in the southern California area. We live in northern San Diego and are willing to drive a little bit. Would like to do San Elijo or Carlsbad but it is tough to get spots there and they are already showing full for when we want to go in September. Needs to be accessible by a larger rig, my bumper pull is 37ft long. Let me know if you have any good places to check out.

I appreciate it!

-Tyler
2006 Weekend Warrior FB3000
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD CCLB 4x4 LTZ
14 REPLIES 14

Tmoz78
Explorer
Explorer
Great lists and awesome spots already recommended.

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
DanNJanice wrote:
What about Camp Pendleton?
If you are, or know anyone that is in the military, I would give Del Mar Beach Campground at Camp Pendleton a try.
We stayed there for several days, a few year ago. Right on the beach, and the Marine patrols make sure the beach is clean and safe.

my business partner stayed there once for a wedding, said it was right on the dunes/ocean, great place but yes, you have to be military or someone in the family has to get it for you or something, can't just go.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

DanNJanice
Explorer
Explorer
What about Camp Pendleton?
If you are, or know anyone that is in the military, I would give Del Mar Beach Campground at Camp Pendleton a try.
We stayed there for several days, a few year ago. Right on the beach, and the Marine patrols make sure the beach is clean and safe.
2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 F250 PSD

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
nayther wrote:
eDUBz wrote:
Ventura county - Thornhill broome SB, Emma wood SB , Rincon SB - Faria and Hobson are County. Santa Barbara- Carpenteria SB, El Capitan SB and Refugio SB also Jalama Beach its county.

I would say Thornhill broome and Emma wood are your best bet - Rincon is first come first serve you can also score a spot there.

Lots of good ones and some are first come/serve like Refugio, LOVE that place. If you can go midweek you should be able to get in most places.

I think I need to be sick midweek and need to recoop at the beach, yea that's what I'll tell the boss.............Oh wait I AM the boss. Guess I'll stay and work.

Refugio is one of our favorite spots
LBZ - Stealth TH - RZR 900 4 - Honda 450X - Paddleboarder - Fisherman - Kayaker

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
Newport Dunes is real nice it's a bit pricey but you got a spot that awesome!
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

rivalrider
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the info! I appreciate all the spots to look into. We are going in September but the local places I like were already booked. Went ahead and got a spot at Newport Dunes. Could change later if I find a different spot but its our anniversary so I want to make sure I have something reserved.
2006 Weekend Warrior FB3000
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD CCLB 4x4 LTZ

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
You'll need to get on : https://www.reserveamerica.com/

Most of the summer beach areas are booked up. But you can try daily to get on sometimes theirs cancellations. Or if you show up at the booth at 6am and hang out till about 8 am they may have an opening but you'll need to find a place to park your rig.

Or http://www.hbbythesea.com/
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
eDUBz wrote:
Ventura county - Thornhill broome SB, Emma wood SB , Rincon SB - Faria and Hobson are County. Santa Barbara- Carpenteria SB, El Capitan SB and Refugio SB also Jalama Beach its county.

I would say Thornhill broome and Emma wood are your best bet - Rincon is first come first serve you can also score a spot there.

Lots of good ones and some are first come/serve like Refugio, LOVE that place. If you can go midweek you should be able to get in most places.

I think I need to be sick midweek and need to recoop at the beach, yea that's what I'll tell the boss.............Oh wait I AM the boss. Guess I'll stay and work.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer

LBZ - Stealth TH - RZR 900 4 - Honda 450X - Paddleboarder - Fisherman - Kayaker

kofire
Explorer
Explorer
How about paradise by the sea in Carlsbad?

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
there's a way to get cancellations, I've never tried but have friends that know how to do it, they're always at on of the beach campgrounds on a weekend.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

Blackdiamond
Explorer
Explorer
You have to book San Elijo and So. Carlsbad on the 1st of the month 6 months before you want to go at 8:00am (going to Carlsbad next month, 6 families each had 2 computers trying to get sites, not all of us got one). Both of those are better than all the other state beaches mentioned, Emma Woods is cool though.

You could try a couple private ones on the bay by sea world.
03' Fleetwood Southwind 32VS
Enclosed Trailer hauling the toys
05 525 EXC KTM
15' FE350s Husqvarna/KTM
07 Rhino, long travel, 4 seater

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Headed north from San Diego there are several beach or near beach campground/RV Parks.

State Beaches:
San Onofre
Dana Point
Bolsa Chica
Crystal Cove
San Clemente
Dockweiler near LAX
Emma Woods Ventura

Private:
Oceanside
Newport Dunes
Malibu RV Park on east side of PCH
Ventura RV Resort

County of Ventura:
Rincon Parkway... first come first to get a site. Best way to get a site is to show up Monday through Wednesday in the morning. Thursday thru Sunday tough to get a site.
Also Faria and Hobson but tough to get a big rig in

Several State beach campgrounds in Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo areas

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Doheny
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman