cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sewer Hose Cleaning and Storing

Tony_B
Explorer
Explorer
When you guys get ready to leave a site, how do you clean and store your Sewer and Gray Water Hose till you get to the next site?
Tony B
45 REPLIES 45

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
austinjenna wrote:
Inside my steel bumper was rusted and rough. When I finally broke down and bought a quality hose there was no way it was going in the bumper.

What about buying the pvc hose holder and attach it to your bumper with some large hose clamps

I used large outdoor rated zip ties to attach my hose carrier to the bumper.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
Inside my steel bumper was rusted and rough. When I finally broke down and bought a quality hose there was no way it was going in the bumper.

What about buying the pvc hose holder and attach it to your bumper with some large hose clamps

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:

If you compress the hose vertically, a foot or 2 at a time starting at the higher end after rinsing, you would be surprised at the water that comes out. That makes it much dryer to store.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

pappcam
Explorer
Explorer
stevemorris wrote:
same as most of us, dump the black, then the gray, a quick rinse and back into the rear bumper where it belongs

the rear bumper is perfect place for it, I wouldn't want it in any storage compartment

I do the exact same. I have a clear elbow and a fitting to connect to the sewer inlet that I keep in a separate tote in one of the storage compartments.

No need to overthink things.
2023 Grand Design Imagine 2970RL
2011 F150 XLT 5.0

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
stevemorris wrote:
same as most of us, dump the black, then the gray, a quick rinse and back into the rear bumper where it belongs

the rear bumper is perfect place for it, I wouldn't want it in any storage compartment

Not all RV's have a rear bumper to stow hoses in. If you have caps for your hoses, or connect the two ends together, there's no problems or smells from storing them in a bin with your other dumping equipment. Or better yet, stow them in a covered plastic storage container, then stow that in a bin.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

stevemorris
Explorer
Explorer

2017 Ram 1500 4door, 4x4, 5.7 l hemi, 8 speed
2008 KZ Spree 260

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
austinjenna wrote:
I cannot imagine what that must smell like after a week or so in the sun. I doubt the stench will ever come out of that bumper carrier. After a while you will have to deal with built on gunk and rust.

Re-read my post, I didnt say I put it in the bumper, but the PVC hose carrier thats mounted to the top of my bumper so there is no gunk or rust. Honestly I never noticed any odor at all from it and I have been doing it like this for 15yrs.
I actually store mine in the bumper. I dump gray water last, then disconnect it and stick it in there and put the vented end caps on. I can see surface rust but there's no danger of it rusting through. It doesn't stink either, but I'm not in the habit of sticking my nose in there just to make sure.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
troubledwaters wrote:
What you guys doing with your sewer hose that your so worried about how clean it is? I thought it was just used as a poop chute. Does it have some other purpose I didn't know about?

Nope, this is rvnet! Stick around a while and you'll hear all kinds of crazy stuff!!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
We also dump gray tank and then cap and store. Our 5th wheel has a special compartment that has a vented floor to stow our sewer hose/assessories.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

troubledwaters
Explorer II
Explorer II
What you guys doing with your sewer hose that your so worried about how clean it is? I thought it was just used as a poop chute. Does it have some other purpose I didn't know about?

dave54
Explorer III
Explorer III
drsteve wrote:
austinjenna wrote:
I just dump the black then grey, give it shake and jam it back into the pvc hose carrier on the bumper. done

I add a quick rinse of the stinky slinky, but yeah, that about covers it.

x2.

I do a more thorough cleaning when I return home.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
I cannot imagine what that must smell like after a week or so in the sun. I doubt the stench will ever come out of that bumper carrier. After a while you will have to deal with built on gunk and rust.

Re-read my post, I didnt say I put it in the bumper, but the PVC hose carrier thats mounted to the top of my bumper so there is no gunk or rust. Honestly I never noticed any odor at all from it and I have been doing it like this for 15yrs.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
austinjenna wrote:
I just dump the black then grey, give it shake and jam it back into the pvc hose carrier on the bumper. done

I add a quick rinse of the stinky slinky, but yeah, that about covers it.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP