cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding higher, stop and turn signals on tt.

Jay_Pat
Explorer
Explorer
I ordered some LED stop and turn signal lights to mount up high on the rear of the travel trailer. Original plan was to run the wires along the outside surface of the travel trailer. I had planned to cover the wires with a wire cover track from one of the big box stores. I don’t like the thickness (too tall) of the covers. Re thinking this track idea.

So now, I’m starting consider running the wires behind the skin on the rear of the rv. I have pushed on the skin between the corners and the window. I’m not finding and horizontal supports in this area. I think I’m safe to snake the wires through this area. I've never done this before.

I would have to cut a hole large enough to guide the snake next to/along the backside of the skin (trying to stay out of the insulation). To cut a hole, I assume I would use a hole saw with a pilot drill adjusted close to the saw’s teeth ( keep pilot drill from drilling too deep). I’m thinking I need a hole large enough to guide the snake along the backside of the skin(not sure how to enlarge the hole as needed to guide the snake).

Now, my fears… Cutting an ugly hole and I can't get the wires snaked to where I need them.

I’m adding these lights so vehicles farther behind me can see what I’m doing.

Any thoughts? Thanks! Pat

2010 Ford F-350 SRW
2021 Grand Design Reflection 315
49 REPLIES 49

Bmach
Explorer II
Explorer II
I saw a utility trailer that had three factory installed brake lights going up each side. You could not miss it.

Jay_Pat
Explorer
Explorer
I ran the wires on the outside of the skin.
Covered with eternbond.
I need to post an image.
Pat
2010 Ford F-350 SRW

Jay_Pat
Explorer
Explorer
73guna wrote:
I like what your doing.
I drive OTR and anytime someone lights up the back of their vehicle for the reasons you provide, gets a thumbs up from me.

Thank you!
2010 Ford F-350 SRW

Roaming_the_ear
Explorer
Explorer
Here is the best thing I ever did, LED flashing bulbs, they flash 3 times real fast, then solid:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/tail-brake-turn/1157-led-bulb-w-brake-flasher-dual-function-1-high-power-led-bay15d-retrofit-car/923/2274/

or:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/tail-brake-turn/3157-led-bulb-w-brake-flasher-dual-function-1-high-power-led-wedge-retrofit-car/924/2275/

All of my vehicles have these. Although, I'm not sure if they will work on lights that use the same bulb for the brake and turn signal. (All my vehicles have separate turn signals from the brake). Motorcyclists love them, especially when riding with groups. They are definite attention getters.

OP, I like what you are doing, I've always wandered why the RV manufacturers didn't at least put the 3rd brake light on them, I'd gladly pay the small amount extra it would have cost.
2011 35' Rockwood Windjammer TT
2004 GMC 2500HD Duramax Diesel

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
OP, how about taking off the outside upper market light and trying to fish your tape down to your existing taillight hole. That way you know if you can fish behind your wall BEFORE you drill holes.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

73guna
Explorer
Explorer
I like what your doing.
I drive OTR and anytime someone lights up the back of their vehicle for the reasons you provide, gets a thumbs up from me.
2007 Chevy Silverado Crewcab Duramax.
2016 Wildwood 31qbts.

Jay_Pat
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
I'd prefer using a white plastic channel myself. would look less "tacked on".
bumpy

I'm going to look around for some channel, again.
Do you have any suggestion?
Thanks! Pat
2010 Ford F-350 SRW

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Jay Pat wrote:
I had another thought......That's unusual!
Considering, running individual wires from the old fixture, up and to the new fixture on the surface.
Then cover the wires with Eternabond.
So, everything is surface mounted with no new holes anywhere (except to mount new fixtures with screws).
Could be a win, win...
Pat

I'd prefer using a white plastic channel myself. would look less "tacked on".
bumpy

Jay_Pat
Explorer
Explorer
I had another thought......That's unusual!
Considering, running individual wires from the old fixture, up and to the new fixture on the surface.
Then cover the wires with Eternabond.
So, everything is surface mounted with no new holes anywhere (except to mount new fixtures with screws).
Could be a win, win...
Pat
2010 Ford F-350 SRW

Jay_Pat
Explorer
Explorer
jake2250 wrote:
It makes your Whole rig visible to the traffic behind you! Way behind you! Have you ever been in traffic with an Ambulance or Fire truck ahead of you with the new Chevroning on it? You can't miss it! It draws your attention and is now a Mandatory requirement on all Emergency vehicles and State and County vehicles. It prevents accidents! I am going to buy two panels and put them on the rear above my tail lights.
You can put more lights on the back of your trailer, but who are you alerting? Ten vehicles back? Three vehicles back? I would like to install amber turn signals mid way down the side of my trailer so vehicles on the side of me can see my intentions, Matter of fact looking at my trailer now I think I can mount them on the Wheel fenders.
Another thing you can do is install a Brake light flasher, when you step on your brakes the brake light flash quickly for a few seconds then stay on until you release the brakes, it gets attention!

Please, post an image when you are finished.
2010 Ford F-350 SRW

Jay_Pat
Explorer
Explorer
jake2250 wrote:
It makes your Whole rig visible to the traffic behind you! Way behind you! Have you ever been in traffic with an Ambulance or Fire truck ahead of you with the new Chevroning on it? You can't miss it! It draws your attention and is now a Mandatory requirement on all Emergency vehicles and State and County vehicles. It prevents accidents! I am going to buy two panels and put them on the rear above my tail lights.
You can put more lights on the back of your trailer, but who are you alerting? Ten vehicles back? Three vehicles back? I would like to install amber turn signals mid way down the side of my trailer so vehicles on the side of me can see my intentions, Matter of fact looking at my trailer now I think I can mount them on the Wheel fenders.
Another thing you can do is install a Brake light flasher, when you step on your brakes the brake light flash quickly for a few seconds then stay on until you release the brakes, it gets attention!

Hope you post an image when you are finished.
2010 Ford F-350 SRW

jake2250
Explorer
Explorer

Jay_Pat
Explorer
Explorer
jake2250 wrote:
If you are concerned about being seen in traffic, Buy some of this and cover the back of your trailer.

Reflective Chevron

I'm concerned about traffic behind me seeing my stop/turn/flashers.

Interesting link...How does this help making my stop/turn/flashers more visible to traffic behind me?
Pat
2010 Ford F-350 SRW

jake2250
Explorer
Explorer
If you are concerned about being seen in traffic, Buy some of this and cover the back of your trailer.

Reflective Chevron