cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Route Around Chicago

Tonijim
Explorer
Explorer
Heading west on I90 then eventually north to St. Paul MN in late July. Is there any relatively painless way to miss what I recall from the past to be a tough passage around Chicago? (We're from Boston so I can deal with some pain).

Any help would be appreciated.

Jim
22 REPLIES 22

VoodooMedicineM
Explorer
Explorer
Let us know how the voyage was.
Bill and Joey the dog

Tonijim
Explorer
Explorer
Booked passage on the good ship Badger! Thanks to all for your help!

Jim

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Tonijim wrote:
Thanks to all for your helpful responses. Re the SS Badger - is there a place to overnight our 31' Class C at the Luddingtin terminal for the morning crossing?

Thanks,

Jim

Their web site says there's free parking for paying passengers at both terminals. You may wish to call to confirm, but I would be rather surprised if there was any trouble with parking and staying there overnight.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
DaveG39 wrote:
I have visited New England many times and when I go west on northern route I generally cross Canada at Thousand Islands or Buffalo area to Sarnia/Port Huron then up to the UP and over to Wisconsin and Minnesota. Great scenery to stop and enjoy and avoid all the large cities from Erie through Chicago.

but when I enter Canada they make me take my fuzz buster down.
bumpy

DaveG39
Explorer
Explorer
I have visited New England many times and when I go west on northern route I generally cross Canada at Thousand Islands or Buffalo area to Sarnia/Port Huron then up to the UP and over to Wisconsin and Minnesota. Great scenery to stop and enjoy and avoid all the large cities from Erie through Chicago.
2007 TropiCal LX towing 2012 Honda
CRV, Goleta, CA

Tonijim
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all for your helpful responses. Re the SS Badger - is there a place to overnight our 31' Class C at the Luddingtin terminal for the morning crossing?

Thanks,

Jim

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
I like the SS Badger idea also.

If not that I-80 to I-39 is my route around Chicago.
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
I like the SS Badger idea. We took it across a number of years ago, why not have some fun on your way there and get to see one of the great lakes?

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
last time I was in that area going w to I-39 I listened to the chatter on my cB where it seems that a big rig took one of those close in roads that does NOT allow trucks and he was trying to figure out how to get out of that mess before getting stopped and fined.
bumpy

Trucks (including pick ups) are not allowed on any road designated as a Boulevard in Chicago. This includes Lake Shore Drive. Chicago has an amazing number of ways to squeeze money out of people. For example a city sticker for a pick up is over $200. Get caught without one and they can fine you $200 per day. Make sure you take the old sticker off or that's a fine as well. Here's a rather extensive list of some of their fines.
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
last time I was in that area going w to I-39 I listened to the chatter on my cB where it seems that a big rig took one of those close in roads that does NOT allow trucks and he was trying to figure out how to get out of that mess before getting stopped and fined.

there is decent campground south of Rockford where I spent the night.
bumpy

Tal_IL
Explorer
Explorer
If'n it was me, I'd opt for the longer, less congested route and go I-80 to I-39 and north.

294 or 355 seem more direct, but I have to travel them both frequently for business and have spent upwards of 1-1/2 hours trying to travel 15 miles when traffic backs up. And, it sometimes happens when least expected.
35 miles from Normal, IL. As close to normal as I'll ever be.

2006 Country Coach Inspire Genoa 40ft

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
GeoBoy wrote:
Take 90/80 west to 294 north, to 94 west to Minneapolis, MN.

X2
From Chicago and this really is the best route. Of course don't plan your trip during the week during rush hour. Weekends on this route are a breeze.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer
Explorer
JesLookin wrote:
Seems that for the past 50 years or so they have been fixing up the tollways around Chicago, but now that they seem to be done the trip around Chicago is much better than it has been. Not fun, but better.

Definitely true. I-355 was extended down to I-80 about 10 years ago, so it is relatively new. They just finished adding a lane and rebuilding the section of I-90 between Rockford and Chicago. Much better than 25 years ago.
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

JesLookin
Explorer
Explorer
Seems that for the past 50 years or so they have been fixing up the tollways around Chicago, but now that they seem to be done the trip around Chicago is much better than it has been. Not fun, but better.
2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2014 Ram 3500 6.7L CTD, Crew Cab