Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Spare to match, rotate 5.

RideSlow
Explorer
Explorer
Spare to match:
Thinking that I should just buy the 5th tire and get a wheel to match stock. Found one on E Bay that specs in one paragraph 2003 to 2014, and one other place 2009 to 2014. Suggestions please.

Rim Material: Alloy
Offset: +43.18 mm

Hollander #: 2383

Mfg #:

No. Of Bolts: 8

Bolt Pattern: 6 1/2 mm

Finish: super Polished

Structure: 5 Spoke

Condition: new

Available Size: 17x8
Year: 2009-20014

2500 3500 year model 2003-2014 factory oem wheel.
2007 Dodge Ram QC 4x4 6.7 CTD 3500 SRW
2014 Stealth AK2612 TH
2004 HD Ultra Classic
18 REPLIES 18

RideSlow
Explorer
Explorer
I got the new shoes, will post up a pic as soon as I get the wheels cleaned up. Went for 5, just looking for a 5th wheel to match. It was tight, but the new spare tire fit in the underbed location. Downloaded a chart from Tire Rack for rotation of 5.
2014 Stealth AK2612 TH
2004 HD Ultra Classic

RideSlow
Explorer
Explorer
Groover wrote:
If you are like me throwing away a $200 tire that has never been on the ground is painful. Then again, you are only averaging 7,300 miles per year so you are not going to wear out 4 tires in the normal 6 year tire lifespan anyway so there really is no point going to extra effort to put this tire into the rotation plan. Just do the cheapest thing for the spare that you are comfortable with. I would rather 4 good tires with no spare and plan on calling road service in an emergency than plan on putting a 10 year old tire on the ground.

What I have found in my research, is the tires that are used last longer than the tires that sit. Something about the flexing of the rubber keeps the molecules - for lack of a better word - healthy.
2014 Stealth AK2612 TH
2004 HD Ultra Classic

RideSlow
Explorer
Explorer
larry barnhart wrote:
RideSlow wrote:
What really got me thinking about this was I was 100 miles from home, which ain't much, but we absolutely had to be back early Sunday. I was just gonna rent a car and send the wife, she could handle what was needed at home. Truck is a 2007, no TPMS, but it is a diesel, about 4300 on the front axle all the time. Truck is primarily for towing or hauling, just turned 73,000, so I did not think a ten year old spare would be unsafe. This will be my last serious truck, as I get closer to full retirement, we will be on the road more. Those cracks on the spare are I what I thot I would see on a sunbaked field find at 30 years, not a barely used spare.

When in doubt I always buy new tires. I really don't wait for that to happen as we all know how bad stopping along the highway can be. My wife thanks me often for doing the things to keep her safe. This makes me proud to hear.

chevman

I am the same way, mine is very appreciative, also. Guess that is why we crossed 45 yrs together, among other things.
2014 Stealth AK2612 TH
2004 HD Ultra Classic

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
Groover wrote:
SweetLou wrote:
brooks379 wrote:
Had a flat the other day in my wife's 1999 Honda so I pulled out the original spare and put it on. Got about a mile down the road and that tire blew up. Went to a tire store and bought two tires. When the tech looked at my blown out spare he said that tire is a 1999 and is just no good anymore even though it has never been on the car. The tire was on a spare rack on the back door covered....Sun and heat killed it !!

I bought a 1972 Ford F250 from an oldtimer, I changed the front set of tires out and saved them because I am still running the old set of Kirkland tires he bought back in 2000. I am out in the Desert heat and when these old ones blow I plan to run the other two I took off until they blow. Been 4 years now. Granted I don't go far but its now an experiment to see how long I can go with them.

They built them better in '72 ๐Ÿ™‚

Just be aware that there can be collatoral damage from a blowout that far exceeds the cost of a tire. My 1991 F250 was technically totalled by cosmetic damage from 2 blowouts and the damage was just from the flying rubber. If I had lost control it could have been much more. I had a bid of $4,500 to fix the sheet metal and exhaust system damage.
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
SweetLou wrote:
brooks379 wrote:
Had a flat the other day in my wife's 1999 Honda so I pulled out the original spare and put it on. Got about a mile down the road and that tire blew up. Went to a tire store and bought two tires. When the tech looked at my blown out spare he said that tire is a 1999 and is just no good anymore even though it has never been on the car. The tire was on a spare rack on the back door covered....Sun and heat killed it !!

I bought a 1972 Ford F250 from an oldtimer, I changed the front set of tires out and saved them because I am still running the old set of Kirkland tires he bought back in 2000. I am out in the Desert heat and when these old ones blow I plan to run the other two I took off until they blow. Been 4 years now. Granted I don't go far but its now an experiment to see how long I can go with them.

Just be aware that there can be collatoral damage from a blowout that far exceeds the cost of a tire. My 1991 F250 was technically totalled by cosmetic damage from 2 blowouts and the damage was just from the flying rubber. If I had lost control it could have been much more. I had a bid of $4,500 to fix the sheet metal and exhaust system damage.

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
brooks379 wrote:

2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

brooks379
Explorer
Explorer
RideSlow, call a few reputable tire dealers and ask them if a tire is safe after 10 years old. I found out the hard way thinking my original spare was going to be good to go on that 1999 Honda and spent most of a day sitting along the side the road waiting for 2 new tires. Not to mention the cost of the road call and tires. From now on I will put the new spare on and buy 3 new tires then put the best old tire in the spare rack until I buy new tires again then I will buy 4 new and put the best old one in the rack.

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are like me throwing away a $200 tire that has never been on the ground is painful. Then again, you are only averaging 7,300 miles per year so you are not going to wear out 4 tires in the normal 6 year tire lifespan anyway so there really is no point going to extra effort to put this tire into the rotation plan. Just do the cheapest thing for the spare that you are comfortable with. I would rather 4 good tires with no spare and plan on calling road service in an emergency than plan on putting a 10 year old tire on the ground.

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
RideSlow wrote:
What really got me thinking about this was I was 100 miles from home, which ain't much, but we absolutely had to be back early Sunday. I was just gonna rent a car and send the wife, she could handle what was needed at home. Truck is a 2007, no TPMS, but it is a diesel, about 4300 on the front axle all the time. Truck is primarily for towing or hauling, just turned 73,000, so I did not think a ten year old spare would be unsafe. This will be my last serious truck, as I get closer to full retirement, we will be on the road more. Those cracks on the spare are I what I thot I would see on a sunbaked field find at 30 years, not a barely used spare.

When in doubt I always buy new tires. I really don't wait for that to happen as we all know how bad stopping along the highway can be. My wife thanks me often for doing the things to keep her safe. This makes me proud to hear.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

RideSlow
Explorer
Explorer
2014 Stealth AK2612 TH
2004 HD Ultra Classic

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like the idea and have done it on one vehicle but keep in mind that on newer vehicles with tire pressure monitoring you will need get a tire pressure monitor if you are planning to do a 5 tire rotation. I also got a programmer for the TPMS to facilitate changing them out.

I have used the 'best out of the old set of 4 is the new spare' on some vehicles with success but I have seem many new vehicles that use a different diameter rim for the spare, forcing you to either fork out the money to replace an essentially unused tire every few years or risk a failure as some have described when you do use it. I have also seen a lot of unused spare tires get pulled out of storage only to find that they too are flat.

A lot of new cars are just giving you a compressor for minor leaks and a phone number for road service for major issues. As few flats as I have had in the last 20 years and given the fact that I always carry a cell phone now I am on the border of saying that is the way to go these days. I hope that it works because my motorhome doesn't even have a place to carry a spare tire.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
I'm of the 'best out of the old set of 4 is the new spare' school.

But I guess sun is a big factor. I once drove 250 miles on a donut that had been stored underneath the rig for 25 years, untouched. It did fine

I kinda laugh at the people who drive around in jeeps with 5 new looking mud tires that have clearly never seen mud and never will.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I find rotating in a 5th tire a pain in the ..... Besides it throws off rotation IMO unless one is literally rotating before any noticeable difference in wear front to rear is present. Even still they wear different and putting fronts on the back rotating the right way will shape them back up and vice versa.

Spare tire if needs replaced, literally costs as much as a couple cases of beer buying off Craigslist. Same deal if you really want a matching rim. There are tons of sets and single take off wheels for sale cheap. A single factory rim of most any sort is relatively worthless and can be had cheaply. No need to buy new.
Just a couple suggestions.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

brooks379
Explorer
Explorer