cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ice maker woes

cpd520
Explorer
Explorer
hoping some of the sharp folks on here can help me out.

Issue:
Our ice maker is leaking water into ice bin at the back, freezing up the ice and auger.

The fridge is a maytag/whirlpool model MFI2269VEM10. I replaced the water inlet valve, but that didn't help.

Anyone fought this before?? What did it turn out to be??
Jack and Nina
8 REPLIES 8

cpd520
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all. It appears to have been a water pressure issue. Have ice now, so wife is happy!
Jack and Nina

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
Jerry, that is a fascinating theory. I replaced my valve twice and finally just abandoned the ice maker. I replace the ice maker itself too.

Now I will see what kind of pressure is coming out of the plastic hose.

Thanks
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

jerryjay11
Explorer
Explorer
I am a retired appliance technician and have come across this issue many times. Since you replaced the inlet water valve I would inspect the flexible supply line for kinks. If no kinks then I suggest a quick water flow test. First if you are using a self-tapping shut-off valve on plastic tubing it could very well be that the cut that the piercing valve makes in the line has closed up enough to slow the water flow. If using 1/4 inch clear plastic line for supply water you can try this test for water flow. With a tall glass and without turning the water off, crimp the supply line to stop flow, remove the line from the inlet valve. Place end of line in glass, release the crimp. If the flow doesn't splash strongly in the glass and comes out slowly your supply is insufficient to close the inlet valve of the refrigerator. Note: These valves are electrically opened and require water pressure to close them tightly. 95% of ice maker water issues I come across are do to improper water flow.

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
You need to replace the water solenoid. As someone said, it is not shutting off completely and the leak freezes up inside the tube.

I've experienced this twice, over the years. It is very common and you can save a repairman call by replacing it yourself.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Are you using a water pressure regulator?

Some fun facts..
Washing machines (Cloths washers) fill to a line, a device senses the depth of the water in the tub and shuts off so as to not overflow.

But the ice maker fills to a timer.. The valve opens for a specified period of time. So if the pressure is higher (one park I visit it hits 120 psi) the ice tray overfills.... Lower pressure (Say 34) it under fills

There is an adjustment.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

A1B00902
Explorer
Explorer
take the end plate off the ice maker
there is screw to adjust the amount of water per fill one way for more the other for less

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
You may need to clean off any lime deposit/crud build up around the ice mold, solenoid and water lines. Make sure the ice maker hasn't become unlevel due to road vibration.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
perhaps solenoid not shutting off completely?
bumpy