cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2016 F450

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Going to look at a 2016 F450 Platinum on Saturday. They are asking $56000. Has 43000 miles and dealer has had it for close to a year. Clean Carfax.

Not a huge Ford fan, my 6.0 cost me a small fortune to repair but this looks like a good deal and should be able to get at a lower price. Dealer seems motivated to sell it.

Any issues I need to be aware of or concerns?
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian
51 REPLIES 51

blt2ski
Tom,
You are correct in the.general thinking of do not go over an axle weight per lowest denominator, be it rims, tires, springs, axle tube itself. Those numbers from a pickup standpoint, will be less than max legal limits as noted.
Also, what is paid for can trump too. My C2500 has a door sticker of 8600, axles total around 10,000, tire width measurement gives me around 9500 an axle, but paid for license is 8000 lbs. Reality is, any.time I am over 8000 lbs on. My four tires, I am over weight and illegally running down the road.
Choose poison on how to do things. Keep all of the how and what you have to follow in mind. So you are both safe, and legal!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Wayfarer
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Marty.
I was always taught, and this forum seems to track, forget the GVWR and just pay attention to the RAWR and the tires and you will be OK. In this case it seems like he is way over the RAWR which is counter to most thinking..

Tom
blt2ski wrote:
Nineback,
Prudence is one thing, legal is another. Just about any rig with.a single due Axelrod is legal to 20,000 on that Axel. Not saying smart in the case of most 35 series trucks......
A sing tire pickup with typically 9-12" tires, will be over weight in the 9,000-12,000 lb range. Again, the weight cops enforce max load the road can handle, is designed for etc. They do not enforce manufacture warranty performance specs.
I've been pled over in most with 17000-19000 on manufacture capacity of 12000 on rear axel, no over weight ticket, as y tire widths totaled more than 20000, I was under 20000, and paid for licence was higher than I weighed. I was paying my.share of road tax for the.damage I was doing to the road. That is what is enforced!

Marty
2021 Tiffin Wayfarer 25RW

blt2ski
Nineback,
Prudence is one thing, legal is another. Just about any rig with.a single due Axelrod is legal to 20,000 on that Axel. Not saying smart in the case of most 35 series trucks......
A sing tire pickup with typically 9-12" tires, will be over weight in the 9,000-12,000 lb range. Again, the weight cops enforce max load the road can handle, is designed for etc. They do not enforce manufacture warranty performance specs.
I've been pled over in most with 17000-19000 on manufacture capacity of 12000 on rear axel, no over weight ticket, as y tire widths totaled more than 20000, I was under 20000, and paid for licence was higher than I weighed. I was paying my.share of road tax for the.damage I was doing to the road. That is what is enforced!

Marty

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
nineback wrote:
He has 12000 pounds on his rear axle? I think my Ram has a 9750 lb RAWR. If I am understanding this correctly it sure seems like he is past the point of prudence.

Tom

Cummins12V98 wrote:
This is how it works. My Sons friend in TX was pulled over in his Chevy Dually. He was licensed for 12K. He received a ticket for $1,200 for being 5K over his LICENSED weight. Nothing was mentioned about his rear axle or tire capacity even tho his 4 rear tires don't add up to the scaled RAW. OUCH!!!

He told my Son "Don't mess with Texas" !

I've been over 12K on my rear in my F350 pulling a goose neck. Drive through the scale house across the scales get the green light and head on.;)
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

Wayfarer
Explorer
Explorer
He has 12000 pounds on his rear axle? I think my Ram has a 9750 lb RAWR. If I am understanding this correctly it sure seems like he is past the point of prudence.

Tom

Cummins12V98 wrote:
This is how it works. My Sons friend in TX was pulled over in his Chevy Dually. He was licensed for 12K. He received a ticket for $1,200 for being 5K over his LICENSED weight. Nothing was mentioned about his rear axle or tire capacity even tho his 4 rear tires don't add up to the scaled RAW. OUCH!!!

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
I plate mine at 16K and it is actually less for plates than a 7K truck...not sure why but it works for me!
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

blt2ski
You're right Chris,

as you know, base license is tare wt time 1.5 to the next highest ton. Manufactures warranty rating is just that, a warranty rating. Or in the case of the tow specs, a performance spec as to if it will climb a given percent grade in first and revers, hold a given percent grade with ebrake on, how fast on a given freeway grade percentage and not go below X mph......

Yep, all one has to do to not get an overweight ticket on the highway, is have enough paid for license tag. Along with meeting the items I mentioned above. You will not get an overweight ticket from someone in a scale house, portable rig, who've I've had the most pullovers from, weighed etc.

Marty

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
blt2ski wrote:

I've been pulled over at 150 percent of manufacture give, I have yet to get an overweight ticket as I was under paid for license weight.

Marty

Marty, however you could get a ticket right here from the RV.net weight police.

As you know in Washington you have to be licensed for the correct tonnage!

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

blt2ski
nineback wrote:
If you are over on your rear axle then I think that would be reason for concern if you were ever checked. I understand the "checkers" look at tire ratings and axle ratings.

Tom

Cummins12V98 wrote:
1jeep wrote:
the way things are going in Ma I wont be sureprised when they require people to have their RV's inspected along with the truck. Once they start doing that do you think it is so far away that they start weighing them? I almost got failed this year because my truck didn't have wheel chocks.

As long as you have the tonnage to cover the weight on your 4 or 6 tires you will be fine.

I need 16K to be "legal" with my actual scale weight. I am under FAWR slightly over RAWR and under my GCWR.

The scale folks due.check tire and axle capacities. 500 lbs per inch width of tire, up to 20k per ax with enough tire width, and 34k if the axles are closer than around 10' iirc.
They do not look at tire sidewalls, as they can not see the sidewall spec from inside weigh scale shacks. They enforce the road bed design max load spec, NOT the engineer design spec from the manufacture.
Cummins 12v is legal, would not get an overweight ticket as loaded that day.at the cat scale.
I've been pulled over at 150 percent of manufacture give, I have yet to get an overweight ticket as I was under paid for license weight.

Marty

DReisinger
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't put a lot of faith in CARFACTS.I saw an article on CARFACTS, It said the owner places the entries in the system. Don't think most people would post anything there that would degrade the selling price.

Wayfarer
Explorer
Explorer
If you are over on your rear axle then I think that would be reason for concern if you were ever checked. I understand the "checkers" look at tire ratings and axle ratings.

Tom

Cummins12V98 wrote:
1jeep wrote:
the way things are going in Ma I wont be sureprised when they require people to have their RV's inspected along with the truck. Once they start doing that do you think it is so far away that they start weighing them? I almost got failed this year because my truck didn't have wheel chocks.

As long as you have the tonnage to cover the weight on your 4 or 6 tires you will be fine.

I need 16K to be "legal" with my actual scale weight. I am under FAWR slightly over RAWR and under my GCWR.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"I know the game ford and ram are playing with their gvwr rating on the 450/4500 trucks. I also know the rear end in the f450 is a step up from mine, I assume the ram must be also."

The RAM 4500 is only a Cab and Chassis the F450 is available the same but also with a pickup bed. All 350/3500's in a DRW are 14K GVWR Class 3, Ford chooses to keep their 450 in the same weight rating.

The reality is the GVWR on all Dually trucks should be higher but the licensing and insurance keep them at 14K.

If over 14K be sure to get 16K tonnage.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

1jeep
Explorer
Explorer
Ma is getting ridiculous with truck inspections and I am now starting to see some inspection stations posting about trailers over 3k lbs needing inspections also. So this is why I say how long before they are going to make me show up with both and weigh me in?

In ma any vehicle with 5 tires or more requires a commercial plate, commercial inspection you need a fire extinguisher, wheel chocks and then they do the regular check plug her in and test your systems. really sucks and the cost is twice what my wife pays for her car even though the tests are similar minus the wheel chock bs.

I know the game ford and ram are playing with their gvwr rating on the 450/4500 trucks. I also know the rear end in the f450 is a step up from mine, I assume the ram must be also.
2016 Ford F350 crew cab dually 6.7 platinum with heavy tow and 4:30 gears
2015 Carbon 327 with a BMW k1600 and Canam 1k inside