cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Must propane pigtails be identical

Jackman
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced one of the 12" pigtails with a 20" pigtail and now the generator will only pull propane from the tank connected to the 12" pigtail even with both tanks full. I re-installed the old 12" pigtail and it works as you would expect. I swapped the tanks just to make sure that it wasn't a problem with the tank with the same result.

This isn't a problem for all of the other propane devices, e.g., frig, stove, WH, etc., since these are apparently lower volume devices. So my assumption is that the propane pigtails must be identical for the regulator to work properly.

I'm hoping that the propane gurus on the forum can confirm my thinking or steer me in another direction. And, by the way, the reason I need to replace the pigtail is because the teflon washer that is buried in the green knob is broken and partially missing.

All replies are greatly appreciated.
14 REPLIES 14

Jackman
Explorer
Explorer
red31 wrote:
if green is 400Kbtu, wonder what red is rated?

Red is also 400K. There doesn't seem to be consistency between manufacturers which is perhaps part of the confusion. Or maybe the standards have changed in the last few years.

I studied all the choices at the the RV supplier that I visited to figure it out.
To sum up what I observed:
dark green = 200KBTU/h
lime green = 400KBTU/h
red = 400KBTU/h

red31
Explorer
Explorer
if green is 400Kbtu, wonder what red is rated?

Jackman
Explorer
Explorer
Update: The hose (dark green Acme) I installed has a rating of 200KBTU/h. I found the original replacement hose (lime green Acme) which has a rating of 400KBTU/h.

What's sad about this story is that I spoke to the parts guy that sold me the wrong hose and he had no idea they had these ratings.

Lesson learned. All's well and I'm a happy camper again. Thanks for all the assistance.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Generators suck Propane big time, The longer pigtail may be defective or it may be smaller in diameter and the genny can't suck through the small "pipe" as well.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

MudChucker
Explorer
Explorer
pigman1 wrote:
EVERY LP spud on an RV has a flow limiter in it. A spud is the male fitting that goes inside the matching fitting. Each of these has a semi pointed end where the flow limiter is located, even though the outer part of it may have the oversize Acme threaded hand tighten connector. Although they are rated by the number of BTU's they should pass, I've found a number of them that will close at way lower flow rates than they are rated as. My solution is to drill out the spud end and drop the small ball and spring out. No more problems. Although technically you should be able to buy fittings without the flow limiter in the spud, I have not been able find any, so I just use the drill.

We also drill but you cwn fi d the parts you need in a weldimg hose repair kit...
2017 Cougar
2015 Ram 3500 Megacab 6.7 Cummins Aisin transmission

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
EVERY LP spud on an RV has a flow limiter in it. A spud is the male fitting that goes inside the matching fitting. Each of these has a semi pointed end where the flow limiter is located, even though the outer part of it may have the oversize Acme threaded hand tighten connector. Although they are rated by the number of BTU's they should pass, I've found a number of them that will close at way lower flow rates than they are rated as. My solution is to drill out the spud end and drop the small ball and spring out. No more problems. Although technically you should be able to buy fittings without the flow limiter in the spud, I have not been able find any, so I just use the drill.
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

Jackman
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies. To answer some of the questions I installed a longer pigtail because that's all that the shop had. Both are green pigtails (200KBTU/h). I'm suspecting the longer pigtail is defective also. If I buy another I'll certainly buy a pair.

The old 12" pigtail is made by Gas-Flo and the new 20" pigtail is made by Marshal Excelsior #ME518. So I'm definitely working with a mismatched pair of pigtails.

It seems to me that these need to be a matched pair.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
No. The connections can be different lengths without issue. There is something wrong with that pigtail or the way it was installed.

Some trailers have a cylinder on each side from the factory. This makes for a 10' hose on one side.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Is the pigtail terminated with a POL, or an ACME fitting... ACME fittings are colored to indicate different maximum flow rates. Black fittings are rated at 80,000 BTU/h, green fittings are 200,000 BTU/h rated, and red fittings are 400,000 BTU/h rated. POL fittings are available with or without an excess flow device.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Isaac-1
Explorer
Explorer
I suspect one of the fittings on the longer pigtail may have an excess flow prevention device in it which is designed to cut off propane flow due to a cut hose, and the generator requires a high enough propane flow vs the stove and fridge to trip the excess flow preventer.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
DownTheAvenue wrote:
Perhaps the longer pigtail is defective.

X2
Where did the longer hose come from or who made it? Test the tester.

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Perhaps the longer pigtail is defective.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
"and now the generator will only pull propane from the tank connected to the 12" pigtail"

Another reason I like my manual switch over.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
But why did you swap to a longer pigtail? If longer is needed on that side, then to stay even, can you swap to a longer one on the other side too?
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.