cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Propane tank pigtail rupture

Corycool
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all, first time poster here. I just purchased a 2011 Keystone Hideout 19FLBWE last month as an upgrade from a pop-up. I was puttering around in it today and when I opened up one of the propane cylinders, I heard a loud pop then a hissing noise. I quickly went to shut it off. What had happened was the pigtail going from the tank to the regulator ruptured and exposed the braiding inside. What would have caused this? The only thing I can think of would have been that I might have turned the valve on too fast. Any advice would be great. Thanks!
15 REPLIES 15

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wonder if maybe someone once dropped the tank while the hose was still hooked up causing it to be stretched and more likely to fail ?

Or, something like that. Seems to me like it got stretched somehow.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
The only time I have ever seen what looked like a rupture was when the hose was chewed by a squirrel. Usually, they just leak.
-- Chris Bryant

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Probably just age and maybe previous damage. Since you recently purchased this TT make a manometer and do the testing of your system described at the link below. The LPG system should be checked every year or two.

http://www.rverscorner.com/manometer.html
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
I would buy a spare pigtail as well. I've had one fail (built in safety valve failed) and a rodent chew through another. They're cheap and easy to replace.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
SCVJeff wrote:
trail-explorer wrote:
Corycool wrote:
Thanks for the replies. What are the indicators that it could be the regulator?

The regulator won't cause the line to rupture.

The comment about "replacing the regulator" was just a "might as well replace it while you have stuff apart" (proactive / preventive measure.)
not sure if I'd wholesale replace it, but keep it on board. There are a very few things that will ruin a trip, but dead regulator is up there at the top of the list
X2.
After having to spend a day of my hunt going into town to purchase one, I now carry a spare.
The drive was about 350 miles round trip, and the part was double what I can normally pay for it. That plus a tank of fuel, and a wasted day....Yeah I carry a spare now.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
trail-explorer wrote:
Corycool wrote:

The comment about "replacing the regulator" was just a "might as well replace it while you have stuff apart" (proactive / preventive measure.)
not sure if I'd wholesale replace it, but keep it on board. There are a very few things that will ruin a trip, but dead regulator is up there at the top of the list
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

Corycool
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again folks. I will be replacing both hoses tomorrow.

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Corycool wrote:

Bob

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
It has been my experience that a soon as you crack the Propane value the pressure causes the gas to gush out. I have never been able slowly release the pressure.

It sounds like the LP hose failed, time for a new hose.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Lwiddis wrote:
Never heard of a "fast turn on" causing any issue regarding RVs and propane.

You always want to turn on lp valves slowly. Turn valves on too fast may cause the built in safety mechanism to engage, which will automatically limit the flow of propane.
The turn on phenomenon is for real, however it does not cause bursting hoses or any permanent damage
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nothing. It is getting old enough I would just replace.

Corycool
Explorer
Explorer

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pigtail was damaged or defective. Replace both. I would replace the regulator while at it.
I recommend Cavagna brand if you have a choice. (amazon)

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Never heard of a "fast turn on" causing any issue regarding RVs and propane.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad