cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hwy 82 from Alamogordo to Artesia New Mexico

Brandon327
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone traveled this route with a fifth wheel? I will be traveling from west to east over the mountain.
2013 gmc 3500 hd cc Drw 4x4
2016 Dutchmen voltage 3990
6 REPLIES 6

brooks379
Explorer
Explorer
Good road, all up hill from Alamo with several passing lanes before Cloudcroft.

frizzen
Explorer
Explorer
Not a problem. I've triple towed up that with the quads on a trailer behind the 5er.
I need some wild

highrez58
Explorer
Explorer
When you get to Artesia, take the time to see the sculptures. They are truly amazing.
Judy Johnson
2016 Gulf Stream Vintage Cruiser
2015 Dodge Ram Pickup
Corsicana, TX

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
It is not a problem especially going east. There is a tunnel and as mentioned a sharpish curve or two going up to Cloudcroft, but nothing to worry about. Commercial trucks use it all the time.
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Several times both directions towing my 14K 34' 5th wheel

Roughly 4000' change in elevation in about 12 mile stretch (Alamogordo----Mountain Park)

Good road, several turns outs if needed and several passing zones. Only real hairpin is just before coming into Cloudcroft but not a tight one

You Tube Video
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
Very steep and somewhat narrow, with some very tight hairpin curves between Alamogordo and Cloudcroft. Once you are past Cloudcroft, it is mostly downhill to Artesia. Between those two towns, the road is merely winding, with a few slightly steeper downgrades. The scenery is great and, it you have time to stop overnight in Cloudcroft, don't miss the drive out to Sunspot (preferably without the trailer). There you can tour the National Solar Observatory and take in the view of the entire Tularosa Basin, all the way out to White Sands and Organ Mountains National Monuments.

I have a short 5th wheel, so am not sure how difficult it would be with a 40-ft. 5th wheel. But motorhomes, semi-trailer trucks, and logging trucks seem to make it, so I would think you could too.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel