cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Justice Dept. sues FCA

Travlingman
Explorer II
Explorer II
U.S. Justice department sues Fiat over selling diesels(1500's and Cherokees) with software to defeat admission testing. Detroit Free Press
2017 F-350 King Ranch DRW
2014 Landmark Savannah(sold)
2022 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4
28 REPLIES 28

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
mrw8i wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
mrw8i wrote:

Please post link(s) to this study that proves this assertion.

Sure!

China 'exporting' ozone pollution to US, study says

NJRVer wrote:

Back in the '60's and even the '70's China's manufacturing was almost non existent and I don't think even Mao had a car:B

Actually, Mao did have a car in the 60's, several to be exact. Automotive industry in China

Although most of those pollutants came from China's substantial use of coal and the huge growth in their industry and agriculture in that time period.

Interesting. Also interesting that the articles says some of China smog may come from India and other countries west of China.

Doesn't explain the lung choking smog I grew up with in Los Angeles in the 60's and 70's.

Back in the 60's and 70's most people in China and India rode bicycles.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
mrw8i wrote:

Doesn't explain the lung choking smog I grew up with in Los Angeles in the 60's and 70's.

I took a picture from the plane as we were landing in LA back then and there was a "beautiful" thin layer of purple air a few hundred? feet up.
bumpy

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Travlingman wrote:
U.S. Justice department sues Fiat over selling diesels(1500's and Cherokees) with software to defeat admission testing. Detroit Free Press

This will go away as soon as Fiat takes the problem up with the front office.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

mrw8i
Explorer
Explorer
ShinerBock wrote:
mrw8i wrote:

Sure!

NJRVer wrote:

Back in the '60's and even the '70's China's manufacturing was almost non existent and I don't think even Mao had a car:B

Actually, Mao did have a car in the 60's, several to be exact. Automotive industry in China

Although most of those pollutants came from China's substantial use of coal and the huge growth in their industry and agriculture in that time period.

Interesting. Also interesting that the articles says some of China smog may come from India and other countries west of China.

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
mrw8i wrote:

Sure!

NJRVer wrote:

2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

NJRVer
Explorer
Explorer
ShinerBock wrote:
Mortimer Brewster wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
what needs to happen now is other countries need to step it up, some pollute 10X more than the U.S.

but we are the only one sucker enough to carry the burden alone.
bumpy

It's easy to forget how bad the air pollution used to be. Remember the smog in Los Angeles in the 60's? Very comparable to Beijing today. Personally I'd rather breathe the air here. It's not fair that our emission standards are tougher, but someone has to lead.

It has recently been proven that a majority of that smog comes from China via the jet stream and is blocked by the Rocky Mountains so it stagnates in the southern California region. While emissions from the US compounded the issue, it is not the major cause. I have no doubts that if the jet stream did not carry China's air pollution to the US, then the air pollution in Los Angeles would not have been nearly as bad back then.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
spud1957 wrote:
Sooooo....back to the original topic. Does this mean FCA cannot sell the current vehicles? Haven't seen any TV commercials recently.

Nope they still can't sell them and this chit storm will most likely delay sales even longer. Having said that Ram still advertises the Eco Diesel on their web site and even states they "Added Clean Diesel Technology" (aka they deleted the emission bypass feature).

ramtrucks

I think we need Captain Don to chime in on this topic. Somehow I feel he's going to blame me on this big mess. :B

Well, you did post a link. You must have something to do with it! :E
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
spud1957 wrote:
Sooooo....back to the original topic. Does this mean FCA cannot sell the current vehicles? Haven't seen any TV commercials recently.

Nope they still can't sell them and this chit storm will most likely delay sales even longer. Having said that Ram still advertises the Eco Diesel on their web site and even states they "Added Clean Diesel Technology" (aka they deleted the emission bypass feature).

ramtrucks

I think we need Captain Don to chime in on this topic. Somehow I feel he's going to blame me on this big mess. :B
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

mrw8i
Explorer
Explorer
ShinerBock wrote:
Mortimer Brewster wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
what needs to happen now is other countries need to step it up, some pollute 10X more than the U.S.

but we are the only one sucker enough to carry the burden alone.
bumpy

It's easy to forget how bad the air pollution used to be. Remember the smog in Los Angeles in the 60's? Very comparable to Beijing today. Personally I'd rather breathe the air here. It's not fair that our emission standards are tougher, but someone has to lead.

It has recently been proven that a majority of that smog comes from China via the jet stream and is blocked by the Rocky Mountains so it stagnates in the southern California region. While emissions from the US compounded the issue, it is not the major cause. I have no doubts that if the jet stream did not carry China's air pollution to the US, then the air pollution in Los Angeles would not have been nearly as bad back then.

NJRVer
Explorer
Explorer
Wife and I test drove a diesel Grand Cherokee the end of November.
We liked it and decided to wait until the end of the model year for all the incentives and price drops.

Looks like maybe we should have gone for that one.

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
spud1957 wrote:

The ecodiesel has not been certified and cannot be sold yet. So unless you have one from before the EPA issue they are not available new.

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
Google top 10 polluting countries. I did and you have to believe that CO2, which is 75% of greenhouse gasses, is a pollutant...main reason for global warming. Until last year there had not been any increase in global temps for 20 years but CO2 had steadily increased. How could that be??? If you research the graphs that Al Hore uses, CO2 lags temperatures...does not drive it.

dog gone trees taking up all that oxygen. Oh wait, do I have that backward.
bumpy

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Google top 10 polluting countries. I did and you have to believe that CO2, which is 75% of greenhouse gasses, is a pollutant...main reason for global warming. Until last year there had not been any increase in global temps for 20 years but CO2 had steadily increased. How could that be??? If you research the graphs that Al Hore uses, CO2 lags temperatures...does not drive it.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...