cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fuel at the Talkeetna turnoff, Glennallen & Palmer

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
This should save you a little money on fuel.

At mile 101 of the Parks Hwy just on the north side of the Talkeetna turnoff is a very large Tesorro fuel station. The price of their fuel is within pennies of what you'll pay in Anchorage. And they're cheaper than the fuel stations in Wasilla that are 60 miles closer to Anchorage. The diesel is in the outside pumps. All of the pumps are very easy to get into with long RVs.

Out in Glennallen the main fuel stop is the Hub, right at the intersection of where the Glenn hits the Richardson Hwy. Lots of room for long RVs. The Hub has very expensive fuel - some of the most expensive in Alaska. The best thing to do is just take on enough to either get you to Valdez or into Palmer.

If going to Palmer, pay attention, just as you're going down a little hill on the edge of Palmer, on the left hand side you'll see Fred Meyer's fuel station. It has lots of room for long RVs and plenty of room to fill up propane without unhooking. Their fuel is only a few cents more than Anchorage. Don't look for the Fred's store as there wasn't room to build their fuel station at the store so it's before the store.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.
7 REPLIES 7

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
Got to admit that I use the Hub quite often:

- Recognizing it's not as big as some RV setups, I often pass through Glenallen with either a 23' boat (31' tip to tail trailered length) or my ATV-hauling trailer (28' tip to tail trailered length) attached to my crew-cab pickup....room to maneuver is worth something;
- Particularly in the summer when the food vendors are open, it's convenient to grab a bite during and after fueling at the hub;
- Silly reason, but when the Hub first opened up (so many years ago), they weren't the most expensive and, based on fading memory, were actually more competitive than others (including the Chevron at the motel)....got in the habit of stopping there...

On my regular trips to/from McCarthy in just the Wrangler or the P/U, I'll typically try to top off somewhere other than the Hub.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
See Joe, that's what you need, a little excitement in life!

When we brought the MH north one spring in the snow five years ago, most fuel stops weren't open yet. Someplace in northern Canada we found one open just before midnight. I took on 96 gal in a 100 gal tank. The needle had been on empty for a while.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer
Bill, so true about the Hub Station being expensive. But at times I find it difficult to avoid getting fuel there. A lot depends on what type/length of RV you are driving. Our last four round trips to/from Alaska we were running a Dodge diesel with a truck camper, which got about 12 to 15 mpg. I could run from Anchorage to Valdez on a single tank of fuel if need be, but if I was turning north on the Richardson or continuing on the Glenn Hwy (Tok Cut Off) I generally would top off in Glennallen, often at the Hub. One trip we didn't top off, headed up the Richardson toward Delta, planning on getting fuel at the Paxson Roadhouse. When we got there, their fuel pumps weren't working, no fuel available. Made it into Delta running on fumes. Over the years I have found I am much better at giving advice, than following it myself. I try to drive on the top half of my fuel tank, but sometimes I am guilty of not doing it. LOL
joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2016 Fleetwood Flair 31 B Class A w/bunks
www.picturetrail.com/jbpacooper
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator
harley4275 wrote:
Or do what I did, that corner expensive station at the glenn/richardson intersection was lined up ,so went west 1 mile ish into town and filled at an old style station with lots of room and cheaper. Think there is a museum of some sort next door.

Us locals avoid the overpriced corner too. If you go east on the Glenn there is gas at Sparks General Store about a 1/4 mile and Glennallen Fuel about 1 mile near the motel and cafe.
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

harley4275
Explorer
Explorer
Trackrig wrote:

Out in Glennallen the main fuel stop is the Hub, right at the intersection of where the Glenn hits the Richardson Hwy. Lots of room for long RVs. The Hub has very expensive fuel - some of the most expensive in Alaska. The best thing to do is just take on enough to either get you to Valdez or into Palmer.

Bill

Or do what I did, that corner expensive station at the glenn/richardson intersection was lined up ,so went west 1 mile ish into town and filled at an old style station with lots of room and cheaper. Think there is a museum of some sort next door.
2013 Sunset Trail 25RB TT
2015 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0 l gasser.
Equilizer 4 pt
From Belle River, Ontario
2003 Mountain Star 890sbrx Truck Camper

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Yeah, that Tesoro by Talkeetna burns through some fuel. Always packed.
(FWIW, we named our Shepherd pup Talkeetna a couple years ago, lol) we were moving so many times, started naming new pets after a place where we were living when we got them. Have a cat named Tacoma too, haha).
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Tee_Jay
Explorer
Explorer
Spot on.

The Fred Meyer is the fist stop light inbound, left turn. and the last stop light outbound, right turn.