cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

class a motorhomes

machunt
Explorer
Explorer
Newbie here looking for info on class A. Pro,s and con,s for the ford chasis. that is chasis with larger wheels compared the smaller wheels. ford triton v 10
20 REPLIES 20

roam1
Explorer
Explorer
I think A with 22.5 wheels is likely to have larger basement storage and margin on tire's max weight rating but buyer needs to check! not all A's created equal!

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
cross21114 wrote:

WE almost bought a 2017 Bounder 36H today. Sleeps 7-8 but at the last second I looked at the weight tag. Rated only 22,000# and dry weight was 20,500#. Allowable weight of passengers and cargo only 1,500#. Not even enough to carry my family and gear. Other Bounders on same wheelbase are 24,000#. Did not buy the coach but dealer tried to sell us on a 2018 36H which is rated at 24,000#.

Any ideas why this difference?

Thanks

That's a question only the coach manufacturer can answer...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
The Ford F53 chassis currently used by all gas coach manufacturers comes in several wheel base lengths and weight capacities.

F-53 Class A Motorhome

WE almost bought a 2017 Bounder 36H today. Sleeps 7-8 but at the last second I looked at the weight tag. Rated only 22,000# and dry weight was 20,500#. Allowable weight of passengers and cargo only 1,500#. Not even enough to carry my family and gear. Other Bounders on same wheelbase are 24,000#. Did not buy the coach but dealer tried to sell us on a 2018 36H which is rated at 24,000#.

Any ideas why this difference?

Thanks
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
AllegroD wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
AllegroD wrote:

You are going to have to get into some, feel how you like floor plans and look at all the systems. For me, the floor plan is the most important factor. If y'all ain't comfortable, you wasted your money.

I'm a believer in that construction & materials are the most important factor. a beautiful floor plan in a shabby RV is like putting lipstick on a pig.
bumpy

I did not say the only factor. I agree that construction and materials are important.

you said "MOST" important factor. I disagree.
bumpy

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
Bumpyroad wrote:
AllegroD wrote:

You are going to have to get into some, feel how you like floor plans and look at all the systems. For me, the floor plan is the most important factor. If y'all ain't comfortable, you wasted your money.

I'm a believer in that construction & materials are the most important factor. a beautiful floor plan in a shabby RV is like putting lipstick on a pig.
bumpy

I did not say the only factor. I agree that construction and materials are important.

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Go take out a older high end diesel pusher in the price range you are looking at also just for the heck of it.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
AllegroD wrote:

bumpy

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
I see everyone has gotten wrapped around the axle on tires. Sorry about the pun. Could not resist.

Now there is more to consider than tire size, though I recommend 22.5s.

Not all coaches, on a ford (V10) chassis, are created equal. Some ride better than others. Some have a lot of sway or wobble on turns. Some are on 22K, 24K and 26K chassis. Larger has better ride. Lengths vary from 29-40'. Some come with balsa wood and some with real wood. Some are laminated cabinets and walls. Some come with solid counters and some with laminate. Some have sound & heat dampening under the floor.

If you look and something is unclear or you don't trust what the salesman says (most don't) then come here and ask. Take pics and post them. Above all, take your time, unless you fall in absolute awe of a coach. There are a lot of sites with plenty of pics to do virtual tours.

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Generally, not always, the 22" tires allow higher GVWR than the 19.5" and the larger tires are standard on the longer wheelbase F53 chassis on newer models. See the previously posted chart in this thread.

Chum lee

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
machunt wrote:
Newbie here looking for info on class A. Pro,s and con,s for the ford chasis. that is chasis with larger wheels compared the smaller wheels. ford triton v 10

I guess your talking about 19.5 compared to 22 size tires.

22's have there advantages but you can carry a spare 19.5 in most RV compartments and be able to change flat if you can handle the work.

However size/weight of chassis will determine what size of tire.

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
machunt wrote:
willard very good info, just what i was looking for, just for giggles price of tires for each size?

That, varies a LOT based on brand, profile, etc. No matter what numbers I throw out, somebody will disagree and say they can be had cheaper, so I'm almost afraid to answer that.

I'll just say, that you can figure on 22" tires costing on average, around $100 more each, than comparable 19.5" tires would.

my concern was like with travel trailers, 5th wheels they come with the cheapest tires on earth, was wondering if its the same with class A?

No, that's one good thing about Motorhomes. You don't have to worry about the tires self-destructing like trailer tires are notorious for doing. Having owned RV trailers for years before this, I will say that is one very welcome change with the Motorhome, not having to worry about tires disintegrating anymore like trailer tires are known to do.

As long as you take care of them, keep them inflated properly, don't overload them, etc....Motorhome tires are good for 6-7 years. As already said, these tires typically age out, they don't wear out.

Now, when you DO have to replace Motorhome tires, whether its 19.5" tires or 22" tires....Be prepared to dig deep into the ol' bank account. You'll spend a good 2 or 3k on a set of (6) Motorhome tires.

Will
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

luvlabs
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, unless you buy one of the better brands - Tiffin, Winnebago, Newmar.

Yes, the 22" tires cost more but it is also highly unlikely that you will actually wear them out. More like they will age out (should be replaced at 6-7 years of age).
2017 Winnebago Navion 24V
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH (sold)
2012 Tiffin Allegro 32CA (traded)
2012 Honda Fit

machunt
Explorer
Explorer
willard very good info, just what i was looking for, just for giggles price of tires for each size?

my concern was like with travel trailers, 5th wheels they come with the cheapest tires on earth, was wondering if its the same with class A?

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, like already said, for 2011 or newer, your only choice for Chassis is Ford (F53), assuming you want gas.

As to the question of smaller or larger tires: Yes, some larger Class A gassers have the big 22" tires, while some will have the smaller 19.5" tires. As to pros and cons:

22" tires will ride better, and be a little less 'squishy'. That, and they typically will have a little more weight allowance.

However, the disadvantage to the larger tires is that they are a good bit more expensive when it comes time to replace them. Also, if you are one that choses to carry a spare tire and wants to be able to change it yourself...Unless you're in really good shape (body builder almost), this is MUCH more difficult, almost impossible, with 22" tires. Much, much easier to do with 19.5" tires. If you are one that maintains your tire pressures yourself, doing so with the 22" tires can be a bit more expensive, due to the fact they require more PSI, hence (possibly) a bigger air compressor.

Anyway, hope this answers your question.
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")