cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2016 Ram 2500 Unlevel side to side

davisenvy
Explorer
Explorer
I just purchased a 2016 Ram 2500 Crew diesel. When installing some Timbrens I noticed that the drivers side is 1 inch higher than the passengers side, from the frame to axle and from the ground to the wheel well. I called the dealer and they tried to say it was the "aftermarket parts" that was causing the issue. I have since taken the Timbrens off and the problem is still there. The dealer can't fit me in for at least 10 days. Has anyone else come across a problem like this? BTW, the truck has 700 miles on it.
2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT,4x4,Crew, Duramax EFI Live
2013 StarCraft Autumn Ridge
29 REPLIES 29

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
tinner12002 wrote:
Well personally, I wouldn't put timbrens on anything unless I wanted to ride an unsprung hay wagon! Had them once, that was enough!! Back to the OP's original question, may have just had the wrong spring installed or one that didn't quite meet specs.

Timbrens don't impact the unloaded ride quality noticeably if you have them adjusted properly.

OP, dealer service departments are a necessary evil until the warranty runs out. Once you're out of warranty get yourself to a decent mechanic.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
davisenvy wrote:
Just an update. The dealer said everything was within specs. The service manager said the track bar behind the rear axle was level and that was all they had to measure. I also asked for an alignment to be done and my steering wheel was crooked to the left. They said they didn't have the ability to align my truck and they "didn't do steering wheels". What a joke.

It may be, but yes, what a joke.....I don't frequent dealers much at all, but a lot of my interactions have been similar whether it was parts, sales, or service dept. It's like you have to put your dealer BS translator hat on just to wade through the BS!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
Well personally, I wouldn't put timbrens on anything unless I wanted to ride an unsprung hay wagon! Had them once, that was enough!! Back to the OP's original question, may have just had the wrong spring installed or one that didn't quite meet specs.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
davisenvy wrote:
Just an update. The dealer said everything was within specs. The service manager said the track bar behind the rear axle was level and that was all they had to measure. I also asked for an alignment to be done and my steering wheel was crooked to the left. They said they didn't have the ability to align my truck and they "didn't do steering wheels". What a joke.

Chrysler authorized the Dealer in Pahrump to do an alignment on my 11 Dually.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
davisenvy wrote:

I would request to see that specification in writing. I would want to see a nominal value with a +/- tolerance.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

davisenvy
Explorer
Explorer

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
mkirsch wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
^ Gotta get that early dig in on the guy that bought the 2500 instead of the 3500 eh?

No real dig just don't get having to mod a truck when it's so cheap to get a 3500 with other benefits. My post is to make people think about whether it's better to go 3500 or not.

Where? Dealers barely have any 2500's at all, and any 3500's they have are DRWs. Even the large dealers that "cater to fleet sales" never have anything.

I will never buy another new vehicle off the lot. Order what you want and be HAPPY!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
All the mfgs have a specification as to what is considered within spec. Maybe that is 1/2" or more, I don't know what it is, but I'm with the others in that I would be inclined to call it good to prevent the dealer from touching my truck.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

davisenvy
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
davisenvy wrote:
I did measure from the top of the frame down to the axle and there is a 5/8 inch difference. There is only a 1/8 difference between the two springs top to bottom.

I think I'll take Grit dogs advice and just tow with it for a while before taking it in.

Like ron3rd said, the timbrens didn't do it unless you shimmed them up tight with no load when installed.
Looking at your measurements above, yes sometimes mfg tolerances cancel each other out, sometimes they stack and compound the "issue".
Our Charger sits 1/2" low on one side front and back. Never been wrecked, didn't notice it when bought it (used) but it's never changed and fine now for 120kmiles.

The Dodge on my sig, before suspension mods sat a little lopsided forever. Only could notice it with a keen eye. Just a bit diffenret in spring sag. Hasn't hurt nothing for the better part of 200k.
Personally even with a new truck I'd rather not have the dealer mess with it unless it really affected something.

The 1 inch difference doesn't bother me all that much and I am with you on not wanting the dealer to touch my truck. My dilemma is I am unable to use my Timbrens unless I shave a half inch off of one of them. They are actually Sumo springs, not Timbrens. Wasn't sure if anyone knew what they were. They are about $100 more than Timbrens, so cutting into one of them is less than ideal, especially after buying a $60,000 truck.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
^ Gotta get that early dig in on the guy that bought the 2500 instead of the 3500 eh?

No real dig just don't get having to mod a truck when it's so cheap to get a 3500 with other benefits. My post is to make people think about whether it's better to go 3500 or not.

Where? Dealers barely have any 2500's at all, and any 3500's they have are DRWs. Even the large dealers that "cater to fleet sales" never have anything.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
davisenvy wrote:
I did measure from the top of the frame down to the axle and there is a 5/8 inch difference. There is only a 1/8 difference between the two springs top to bottom.

I think I'll take Grit dogs advice and just tow with it for a while before taking it in.

Like ron3rd said, the timbrens didn't do it unless you shimmed them up tight with no load when installed.
Looking at your measurements above, yes sometimes mfg tolerances cancel each other out, sometimes they stack and compound the "issue".
Our Charger sits 1/2" low on one side front and back. Never been wrecked, didn't notice it when bought it (used) but it's never changed and fine now for 120kmiles.
The Dodge on my sig, before suspension mods sat a little lopsided forever. Only could notice it with a keen eye. Just a bit diffenret in spring sag. Hasn't hurt nothing for the better part of 200k.
Personally even with a new truck I'd rather not have the dealer mess with it unless it really affected something.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
I'm calling BS on the dealer blaming the Tembrens. They affect nothing until loaded and contact is made.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

davisenvy
Explorer
Explorer

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
To the OP, 1" difference is significant, but not far away from what I've seen on many trucks.
It's not uncommon to see 1/2" or more on any brand. Having had more than 20 new work trucks in about as many years, I've seen it quite a few times. Not exclusive to one brand either.
Hook that trailer up and load the truck down and go pound on it for a while. It may settle down. I sure wouldn't mess with putting a spacer in it. Trucks almost new right? Break it in and see if it settles down.