cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tires

Ziphead2
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another question about tires for my fifth wheel. Here is my dilemma. I have Maxxis tires on my fifth wheel for 5 years now. Had two blow outs and yes I am a fanatic about tire care and air pressure. I had a blow out last month that not only destroyed the tire but also damages the rim (have to get a new one 200.00). I got a price on Goodyear Endurance for 800.00 mounting/disposal ect. The question is should I keep maxxis or try a new set of four using Goodyear. Any pro's con s, experience. Thanks for all the help!
15 REPLIES 15

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
You got some good advice but your question was do I keep Maxxis or go with Goodyear. I have the same question so I can't help you but am very interested in the answer. My choice is down to those two tires also.

With over 30 rv members reporting troubles with Maxxis and the OP having issues with them I certainly wouldn't put more of the same back on a trailer, regardless of brand.
Goodyears Endurance and Carlisle HD are both a new tire and are the new gen L and M speed rated tires.
The Provider ST is another new gen ST tire with a M speed rating and has been around since the '11-'12 era with some good results when we look at rv and non rv trailer/truck forums.
Higher speed rating are more to do with a tires ability to cope with heat issues generated at highway speeds.

And of course depending on the trailers axle rating we have certain brands of long lasting LT tires for certain size trailers.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
Michelin XPS ribs or Bridgestone duravis are tough to beat. A bit expensive but I've never heard of a blowout with either.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

DannyA
Explorer
Explorer
Ziphead2 wrote:
Another question about tires for my fifth wheel. Here is my dilemma. I have Maxxis tires on my fifth wheel for 5 years now. Had two blow outs and yes I am a fanatic about tire care and air pressure. I had a blow out last month that not only destroyed the tire but also damages the rim (have to get a new one 200.00). I got a price on Goodyear Endurance for 800.00 mounting/disposal ect. The question is should I keep maxxis or try a new set of four using Goodyear. Any pro's con s, experience. Thanks for all the help!

You got some good advice but your question was do I keep Maxxis or go with Goodyear. I have the same question so I can't help you but am very interested in the answer. My choice is down to those two tires also.
2013 Sabre 290 REDS 5th wheel
2011 F250 Ford diesel

Mark Twain wrote: "Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do...

JTrac
Explorer
Explorer
The Goodyear Endurance are a recent addition and I think are the only trailer tires made in the USA, Alabama if I remember correctly. I put a set on my boat trailer and they made a big difference in the ride. No more bouncing and flexing like the Carlisle's did. I also just put a set of Hankook TH22 trailer tires on my Excel as my options are a little more limited with 17.5 inch wheels. They replaced a set of 6 year old Michelin's which were starting to show signs of belt separation.
JimT
2020 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, 2020 Ford F350, Platinum, 6.7 diesel, 4X4, CCLB, SRW, 12,400 GVWR

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
What size and load range are your present tires and what is your trailer axle ratings ??
Help us and we can narrow down what works best and what doesn't work so great.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've seen a lot of anecdotal evidence about blowouts with Maxxis, where in the past they were the "go to" tire. Do a search for Sailun 637 tires. You can buy a whole set for under $800 and I've yet to see a single complaint about them.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

machunt
Explorer
Explorer
Bridgestone r 250 duravis and forget about it.

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just a correction: Good Year G949RSA 235/85R16 are an "E" rated LT tire, not a "G" rated.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

F-TROUP
Explorer
Explorer
I'm on my third set of Maxxis 235r80 16 have not had a blow with them. I do change them out every 4 years.

If you do go with a G rated tire make sure you rims will take the pressure.

Splashers3
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't see the weight of your rig....but if you can afford them, and are within the "E" tire capacity then Michelin XPS RIBS....you won't have a tire worry for many years.
2017 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali, C/C, D/A, DRW, w/40gal Aux tank, 18K B&W Patriot.
2019 Cedar Creek Hathaway, 34RL2 - w/Bells & Whistles and disc brakes
Traded 2009 Cedar Creek Silverback, GII, 32 WRL

md_procouple
Explorer
Explorer
If you look at previous "Tire" questions, you will see a lot of people went to "Sailuns" including us. We are now into our 3rd year with them and no problems. I know Goodyear is coming out with an "USA" made trailer tire, but so far No results posted here. Good Luck and Happy Camping !!!
Vickie, Me, and "Scruffy" our dog make THREE
:W

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
If I had that experience with my tires, and I have, then I would not be putting the same tire back on, and I didn't. Definitely look for some better tires.

Hard to give much specific advice since you gave no information about the trailer, tire size, etc. More information is always better than less.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well five years is pushing an ST tire life.
What size 5er and what tire size?

We have a 12,360# GVWR 5er and just replaced the OEM 12 year old LT 235/85-16E (3,042#) tires with a set of Yokohama YK-HTX's and look forward to many care free miles.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Ziphead2 wrote:

Recommend Good Year G949RSA 235/85R16 "G" rated and 10 ply. I have not had I tire blow out since. Use metal stem valves to minimize normal air loss.