cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

blocking phone numbers

path1
Explorer
Explorer
I keep getting unsolicited phone calls. I block them in my phone but keep getting them using another number. The way it's going, I'm going to run out of room in my phone before scammers run out of phone numbers.

Any better fix?

What is best fix?
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"
29 REPLIES 29

campinginthewoo
Explorer
Explorer
If android I use hiya app in the Google play store was referred to it by a good friend of mine who works for AT&T cooperate store and can attest it has blocked a lot of calls
"Our family is a circle of love and strength.
With every birth and every union, the circle grows. Every joy shared adds more love.
Every crisis faced together makes the circle stronger. "

Freep
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote here for Extreme call blocker(Android paid app). It uses a spam database, allows you to add numbers or complete blocks of numbers and also blocks text messages.

Bad news, however, it seems the republicans want to allow companies to spam your voicemail box directly, completely bypassing your phone.
2014 Lance 992
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Turbo diesel

ventrman
Explorer
Explorer
Cal Guard usually drops the Call in about a Second or two. This does not allow People Time to leave a Voice Mail.
God Bless!

p220sigman
Explorer
Explorer
The only app I have paid for is a Call Control as a blocking app. It has worked great. Uses a large database as well as personal blocking log. I have whole area codes blocked as well as specific numbers. It doesn't ring through, just hangs up. It doesn't give voicemail option all though you can set it to go to voicemail if you choose.

I rarely get spam calls now. It was money well spent. Periodically, I'll go into the blocked call log just to see who has tried to get through. There are usually 3 or 4 a week that were blocked.

My other action is I don't answer if it isn't someone in my contacts list or unless I'm expecting a call from someone. Otherwise, I silence and send to voicemail.

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
bob_nestor wrote:
If it's a cell phone there are a number of pretty good call blockers. On the Android I've used Extreme Call Block and lately Vblocker. They both access large databases of known spam callers that block the calls from those numbers and you can add additional ones too. With Vblocker you can even submit a number/report of a new spam caller. It seems to be pretty active too - every couple of hours I see multiple new numbers added to their database.

The only really annoying thing is that it seems it has become impossible to block voicemail. So a blocked call typically ends up rolling over to voicemail where they can leave a message that you need to retrieve and delete. I've read that on Andorid this is due to some change in permissions in later versions of the OS, but it appears to me that it may be due to the way service providers are handling voicemail on your cell phones. T-Mobile and AT&T both lock you into using their voicemail and don't seem to have options for blocking it for certain numbers. It burns minutes on my T-Mobile which are limited to trash these which costs me money. On AT&T with unlimited minutes it only takes my time to trash them.
Extreme Call Blocker has setting to hangup with no voicemail.

ventrman
Explorer
Explorer
I've have an app that blocks all calls and text unless sender is on my contacts list. It's called Call Guard. I think I paid less than $3.00 for it. It works better than others that I have used.
God Bless!

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is no downside to "I can hear you."

The one time I got a robocall where they asked me if I could hear them OK was before any of this hit the news. My immediate response at the time was "what can I do for you?"
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
The "Yes" scam. Has anyone ever heard of anyone being conned out of anything by this supposed "Yes" scam?

Even Snopes thinks it's very likely to be bogus.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, Magicbus, I've heard of the "yes" scam.
These idiots should be prosecuted to the fullest extent! I'd even opt for public hanging (using a telephone cord, of course). :E
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
mr. ed wrote:

These robocallers should realize that they're wasting their time with most people, since who'd want to buy a product from such a rude and intrusive company. But then, I guess there are enough gullible people out there who make the robocaller's time worthwhile. :h

It's not just trying to sell you something. There is one going around where they want to record your voice saying "Yes". I think it is so they can then use it to place third-party add-on services on your phone. And since most people don't pay attention to their bill because they tend to go up anyway, they get away with it pretty often.

Now Snopes doesn't buy it or discount it, but I had two calls with the "My headset has been giving me trouble, can you hear me OK?". Maybe it's a "humanizing" technique maybe not. I did explain to the young woman she needed to change her act once in a while :W.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
Verizon allows me to block up to 20 calls, but sometimes that isn't enough. I pay $5 extra per month for the privilege. When I get excess robocalls, I simply add them to my contact list and set the ring tone to "no ring". It's not perfect since I still hear my phone identifying the number, but at least it won't ring.

These robocallers should realize that they're wasting their time with most people, since who'd want to buy a product from such a rude and intrusive company. But then, I guess there are enough gullible people out there who make the robocaller's time worthwhile. :h
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
I've got an app that blocks all calls and text unless sender is on my contacts list. It's "Whoscall" on android.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
We use NoMoRobo on our AT&T Homebase VOIP phone service, and the Call Control app on our smart phones. Both are very effective in stopping telemarketers, and Call Control will even block political calls.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

RVhiker
Explorer
Explorer
I use Callcentric VOIP at home. I have it set to only ring my phone for phone numbers in my number list. Calls from other numbers get referred to voice mail and may leave a message IF the caller presses the correct number (eliminates robo callers). I get notified when I get a new voice mail, and can choose to return the call or not.
There's lots of advice and information in forums...
sometimes it is correct.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2008 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab; Duramax/Allison; Pullrite 14k Superglide Hitch