cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wise To Avoid State Of Michoacan Temporarily

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
My son-in-law is level headed and intelligent (thank goodness). He reports...

The entire state is in an uproar over cartel arrests and subsequent cartel roadblocks and violence.

The danger to visitors is not great, but disruption of infrastructure and frequent (and very slow "Puestos de Controles") highway checkpoints make driving or riding a bus a PITA.

Farms in Uruapan are refusing to ship produce and fruit.

Of course this is temporary. But it's always wise to check beforehand before entering Michoacรกn.

I myself, have not read or heard of reports involving RVers in any criminal activity except for pesky petty theft.
18 REPLIES 18

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
How about an Update David? We may take that route southbound in late November and again Northbound in February/March 2018

Note: We managed it Northbound this February, arriving home safely, Jeep still attached. :B

charlestonsouth
Explorer
Explorer
Dave, you will have to excuse me, but I don't understand. What does being passed by a Bentley at 150 mph (except for definitely excessive and dangerous speeding in an expensive car) have to do with problems? And how did the beach evictions affect your well-being?

daveB110
Explorer
Explorer
This sounds like a sad state of affaires. The new reality, unfortunately. We visited Michoacan in "O8 and '09, liked Patzcuaro both times and saw the Butterflies near Angangao. To our uninformed eyes, we saw no problems although wondered about being passed by a new Black Bentley that looked to be going close to 150 MPH. We had left the MH in Villa Cornona. No way I could convince the DW to go deep into Mexico again, it was all over after Jalisco state police evicted everyone off the beach at Tenacatita in August 2010 and helped man the gate that prevented 800 Mexicans from making a living there.

daveB110
Explorer
Explorer
This sounds like a sad state of affaires. The new reality, unfortunately. We visited Michoacan in "O8 and '09, liked Patzcuaro both times and saw the Butterflies near Angangao. To our uninformed eyes, we saw no problems although wondered about being passed by a new Black Bentley that looked to be going close to 150 MPH. We had left the MH in Villa Cornona. No way I could convince the DW to go deep into Mexico again, it was all over after Jalisco state police evicted everyone off the beach at Tenacatita in August 2010 and helped man the gate that prevented 800 Mexicans from making a living there.

reed_cundiff
Explorer
Explorer
Michoacan is beautiful but some parts can be dangerous. Just have to read State Department notes and follow what folks say on the fora.
Reed and Elaine

ggoat___
Explorer
Explorer
I will never, ever pull my trailer to Michoacรกn. Or Michigan for that matter.

2006 Airstream 19ft International Bambi 75th Anniversary Custom Prototype Handbuilt by David Winick

2006 Chevrolet SSR LS2 400+hp V8 6spd Manual Final Production Run 1-of-7 Convertible Pickup

1997 Scamp 13ft Deluxe ... 2480lbs(!!!) of Solid Oak and HEFT!!

reed_cundiff
Explorer
Explorer
We were in Patzcuaro in February or March. We hope to spend two weeks there this winter on way back from Yucatan. Birding was great with the local guide, Georgia Fonti (originally from Seattle). The coast road from Playa Azul is well worth the drive. Mexican tourism needs to have view point pullouts put on some of those ridges as the scenery is spectacular.

Will have to monitor safety warnings for Michoacan before we go this winter. Elaine really wants to spend a few days in Morelia. Would leave rig at El Pozo RV Park and take a bus or cab to a hotel in Morelia. Should like any advice on this.

Reed and Elaine

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Jeep parts slighty used. Expensive

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
Hey David; come across any good slightly used Jeeps down there? :B

DeanRIowa
Explorer
Explorer
We toured around Michoacan, 20 years ago and it was beautiful and very peaceful. However today it is not recommended to travel, my brother in-law works as a USDA agent in Michoacan and they have body guards and it is true many of the farms aren't shipping.

We are in Mexico next month and I was hoping to tour Michoacan again with our kids, but I was told not this trip.

To be honest parts of the US are just as dangerous, but I avoid those places as well.

My two cents and what I have been told.

Dean
2015 Summerland 2820 BHGS
2016 Silverado
DW Esmeralda, DS Mathew, DD Natalie

Wm_Elliot
Explorer
Explorer
" Find allkindza neat info about Michigan on a Mexico travel site. Gibbem a book and they eat the pages."

Pretty much true, unfortunately. Sad commentary about perception and intelligence. Maybe it's always been like this and only the ease of making statements publicly via forums makes it appear that people have lost their sharpness moreso now than in the past.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Yup

Find allkindza neat info about Michigan on a Mexico travel site. Gibbem a book and they eat the pages.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Met Rex a couple of times. Interesting guy. Oh! US citizens sold guns i.e. automatic rifles to Mexicans? Yup and those that did should be in prison.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
gbopp wrote:
1995brave wrote:
Oh. At first I thought you misspelled Michigan.

Me too. I didn't think the cartels are a big problem in Michigan.

Another reason to read the whole post before drawing a conclusion. :S

Blindfolds work wonders.

Drug Cartels in the U.S. Are A Time Bomb

Rex Tillerson and John Kelly: US Responsible for Mexican Drug Violence
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog