Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Further Upgrading A Megawatt Upgrade?

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
OEM capacitor specs are 680 uf @ 200 vdc 85c

I upgraded to Panasonic brand same value caps but 105c rated.

(What If) ?

I do a further upgrade to a 315 vdc cap

Less chance over time of punching hole in the foil with a 60c temp? Meaning longer capacitor lifespan?

This is where I seek advice from a pro. A Hamster.

Thank you
5 REPLIES 5

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I am moving to where there is modem internet and 4G cellular service. I will thereupon ask to have the submissions returned and then reconfigure.

Anyone out there want to help babysit this Microsoft Word, Images to photobucket then on to the RV.net site?

But unless this thing becomes a sticky I'd rather become a Hillary Clinton fund raiser than spend days on a post that lasts three days.

iagary
Explorer
Explorer
Still waiting on the original MW upgrade article.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
ON electrolytic higher voltage ratings may also give you less capacity.

Oh, not really related but today I'm drinking my morning coffee

TheUnseanBean.com contester's blend
His other blend is "Kilowatt" Which is why I'm mentioning it here.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

happycamper002
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
OEM capacitor specs are 680 uf @ 200 vdc 85c

I upgraded to Panasonic brand same value caps but 105c rated.

(What If) ?

I do a further upgrade to a 315 vdc cap

Less chance over time of punching hole in the foil with a 60c temp? Meaning longer capacitor lifespan?

This is where I seek advice from a pro. A Hamster.

Thank you

I'm not a hamster...although my neighbor's teenage daughter has one. I could have consulted it but I was told it's in heat--couldn't let it out lest it runs away and won't come back.

It seems (from your post) that your prime concern is heat exposure of the capacitor. The high temp environment that capacitors are being subjected to is crucial in selecting the right type.

The film type (foil) capacitor differs from other types like Ceramic or tantalum. These type caps can operate in higher temps.

The generic foil is low cost as opposed to aluminum, ceramic or tantalum at a given value.

Longevity depends on the quality of circuitry (meaning minimal voltage spikes) that these caps are subjected to.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
From what little I can remember from my EE days, higher temp rating and higher voltage rating will give you more durability/longevity.