cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Toilet repair

lotto38
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone replaced the flange that holds the two bolts that go thru the toilet to hold it down? I think it is called a closet flange Mine has all Phillips screws, but one of them has the square hole. Tried using a special screw driver with the square head, but will not turn . If I could get this out, I could turn the flange 1/4 turn and it would work instead of having to get a new one. This is a Thetford Toilet in an 02 Wilderness.
6 REPLIES 6

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Buy, borrow or rent an impact driver to free it up. Or try a Robertson (square head) screwdriver and lean on it and use Visegrips to turn it. Turning it back and forth can often free them up. Also, tapping it with a hammer using the correct screwdriver or with a punch can sometimes also help to break it free. Should only be into OSB or plywood and shouldn't need gorilla force. Shouldn't grind the head or cut it off unless it is severely rusted and is the last resort.

Some toilet flanges are glued into the tank and some screw in.

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
Are the screw heads big enough to use a Dremel with a grinding wheel or cutting disc to make 2 flats 180 deg appart to allow a small wrench or crescent wrench to turn them?

MSchu
Explorer
Explorer
can you just drill the head off of it? Then you could remove the toilet and use vice grips on the stub of the screw to pull it out

lotto38
Explorer
Explorer
Mark and Linda wrote:
Have you tried using a square head bit with a small socket and a ratchet. You might be able to put more downward pressure on it. It might be a number 2 or 3 tip....can you get a pair of vise grips on it? Just some suggestions....
I thought I would drill a hole in it and use an easy out

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
Square (Robertson) bits come in up to 5 or 6 sizes.

Mark_and_Linda
Explorer
Explorer
Have you tried using a square head bit with a small socket and a ratchet. You might be able to put more downward pressure on it. It might be a number 2 or 3 tip....can you get a pair of vise grips on it? Just some suggestions....
Mark