cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie Questions

EquineChel
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased a 2017 HEARTLAND MALLARD M26 and we will be camping for 7 days. I need to know how long I can run the fridge/freezer on propane as well as will we be able to use the shower/hot water, cook etc? There are no hookups sadly. We do have solar panels we can charge a battery with. I know LED lights don't pull much but will we be able to use the lights inside and what about the awning? I am just clueless. Please help!

Thanks in advance, Chel
21 REPLIES 21

LenSatic
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't seen mention of a generator anywhere. Do you have one and can you use it where you are going? It can supplement your solar panels and allow you to use a microwave or A/C if needed.

ETA: I just noticed that BizmarksMom beat me to it my a few minutes.

LS
2008 Casita SD 17
2006 Chevy Tahoe LT 4x4
2009 Akita Inu
1956 Wife
1950 LenSatic

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
I use solar to recharge my batteries, but mine is 120 watts.
The other option is a generator.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

EquineChel
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmmm ok I was trying to use what I had but you guys know better. How do you recharge the battery aside from running someplace in the truck? We are going to be a festival so we can't just get up and move sadly.

LOFAT36
Explorer
Explorer
Deep six your single 12 volt battery and buy two 6 volt deep cycle ones. I could run our trailer for 5 days (including furnace) for 5 days without a problem.

EquineChel
Explorer
Explorer
Well we would use the slide out and awning out. Maybe some led lights at night. We have battery lamps and candles for night time. I have a Ford excursion diesel so 2 batteries there I can pull but you really think I could only run those things 3 days? Man I wish we had power. We use a trickle charger at home would it help if we left it hooked and started truck every few days?

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Harbor Freight solar is about 45 watts, I think. That probably won't keep up with your needs, no matter how frugal you are.

How many batteries do you have on your trailer?

You will find that over time, this gets a lot easier. We greatly prefer boondocking in remote places -- very peaceful!! No porta potties, nothing but silence.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
HF solar is maybe 45 watts? Keep them pointed to the sun with no shade and you will get maybe 2 or 3 amps for several hours. Not a lot but will help.

EquineChel
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry I was internetless. It's fixed now. Yay.

EquineChel
Explorer
Explorer
The place we are going will have showers but I hate port o potties. Yucky. We just have one of those harbor freight solar set ups I think 3 tall pannels. We use to tent camp and pull battery from truck so we could have a fan at night.we were planning to use the facilities there for showers but want to cook clean dishes etc most of all potty. I wish we could run the fan in camper but I don't think that is possible. Just so new this. I am so thankful for all the good advice. We will prob put awning and slide out and leave them unless windy. Also any ideas how to find a place that you can film up water and dump after close to where the campi ng will happen please?

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
I'd suggest a few trips to a campground with full hookups for some trial runs. When water runs out, hook up the hose. When the battery dies, plug in shore power. If the holding tanks fill, empty them. Like said, unless you run the furnace, propane should easily last. We get several weeks out of each 30 lb bottle. Then you'll know how long you can go on each item.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I believe EquineChel is MIA.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Because of the phantom loads my battery will run down in 4 or 5 days, just setting in the yard.

Using just the LED lights, water pump for cooking and the toilet and turning off the antenna booster, we will last 3 days max, typically 2 days, before it needs a charge.

If you have solar you can last a bit longer. Unfortunately, only you can determine how long based on how much power you use and how much power you can generate. I have a single 100 amp-hour battery and no charging method except my Tow Vehicle.

Awning, long showers, slide out, exhaust fans, furnace blower all work but shorten the battery time. My microwave, Television, Air Conditioner and other 120 volt items do not work.

Like any special use trailer application, non-hookup camping requires adapting your trailer to the expected conditions. Most Trailer leave the manufacturer intended for camping with electric power.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

wrgrs50s
Explorer
Explorer
I think your biggest challenge will be keeping the battery charged.
Walter and Janie Rogers
2012 Sundance 277RL
TV 2006 Silverado 2500 6.0

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
You should be fine on the propane, if you have never camped, the only real adjustment for a one week trip will be your water consumption. You have a limited volume in the trailer tank 52 gallons, and your two waste tanks are 42 each. Look up a navy shower and do it at home a couple of times to get used to it.
Oh, and if no hookups understand the TV, microwave and AC are not going to be available unless you have a means of 120 VAC power generation.
Happy motoring.