Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

GSMNP the most popular park

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
USA Today

Yeah, Cades Cove is worth a visit but the traffic jam makes YNP roads look like wide open freeways. On a Thursday it took me hours (no exaggeration) to get to the mill area.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper
14 REPLIES 14

FloridaReLoaded
Explorer
Explorer
Oh and let me add, if you go now, you can rent or ride your bike or walk for that matter on Wednesdays and Saturdays without any vehicle traffic. They close it to vehicle traffic on those two days up until 10 am. Plus you see much more wildlife too!!

FloridaReLoaded
Explorer
Explorer
It's the most popular cause it's open 365 days a year! Secondly this is vacation time for lots of families, schools out for summer. The best time is around August 15th, schools have started back up yet everything is still open.

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
We love GSMNP we end up there about every five years. Last fall we left to come home the day before the fires started. Certainly the key is to visit is either before summer vacation for the kids or after they are back in school.
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

ThomBoles
Explorer
Explorer
ksbowman wrote:
We stayed in Townsend and went to Cades Cove 2 days in a row last Oct. The traffic at times was heavy but, not bad. We took a sack lunch and pulled over more than once, set up lawn chairs and enjoyed the views in the park. Made every stop at the points of interest and went to the mill. Great trip and very restful. We weren't in a hurry maybe that made it better. We will go back.

I'll be the first to say "Thank You" for pulling over.

I've been to Cades Cove about a dozen times over the years most times on my motorcycle. It amazes me the number of people that have never seen a deer or a cow that feel stopping IN THE MIDDLE of a one lane road is ok. I'm all for seeing nature but I don't have to stop at each and every place a deer happens to be grazing in a field. I guess growing up in the "boonies" we saw that all the time. We watched for deer so we wouldn't hit them going down the road!!!

We tend to "escape" out on Parson's Branch on our motorcycles. There is a 1-way trail out of the park onto "The Dragon" that we like to take to save about 1.5 hours getting back to camp.
-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
Thom and Diane Boles
2010 Winnebago Vista 32K

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
I am an ardent supporter of California and the entire Western States and I feel we have some of the most unbelievable sites in the world out here, however, the SNP, BRP and the GSMNP are as unbelievable as anything anywhere in the world as is evident by number of people that visit there.

To quote an old Ziggy cartoon as he watched a beautiful vista during a magnificent sunset, "YEAH GOD".

You folks back there are so lucky even with the traffic during high season to have that whole area in your backyard.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

ksbowman
Explorer II
Explorer II
We stayed in Townsend and went to Cades Cove 2 days in a row last Oct. The traffic at times was heavy but, not bad. We took a sack lunch and pulled over more than once, set up lawn chairs and enjoyed the views in the park. Made every stop at the points of interest and went to the mill. Great trip and very restful. We weren't in a hurry maybe that made it better. We will go back.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
I have seen counters on the roadway. All you have to do is experience the traffic to be convinced....although I do know many people who transit that road to go between Gatlinburg and Cherokee and never stop in the park.

Word of caution too, if you do not understand how to pull a trailer in the mountains do not attempt to pull a trailer over Newfound Gap. Every time I have taken 441 I have seen people on the side of the road with their brakes smoking. Its a tough pull even for the more seasoned.

Rangerman40
Explorer
Explorer
They don't have entrance stations because they can't. When Tennessee and N Carolina transferred ownership of 441 to the Feds they stipulated no toll or fee could be charged to travel that road.

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
rv2go wrote:
I have lived next door to the GSMNP for most of my life and have visited it a great many times.
When I see the attendance figures, I have to ask, how do they count people. There are several entrances with no way to count cars. No counters of any kind that I can see, yet so Millions visit each year. I have even asked at the Visitors center and can get no answer.

Most Parks have an entrance station where you have to pay. At least there you can count vehicles and get some idea of attendance.

It is crowded though. We were in Cades Cove Easter week end and it was bumper to bumper. Saw several deer, turkeys and one bear.

x2 I find the data hard to believe as I too note that they do not have entrance stations like most parks
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
I have always thought those figures were a bit misleading. Great Smoky has several roads that transit the park. There is a lot of traffic that is counted as visitations that are probably commuters or people who are transiting the park to get to the attractions and cities that are adjacent to the park (i.e Dollywood, Gatlinburg, Ashville). Combine that with the huge numbers of people who live within a few hours of the park, the visitation numbers at GSMNP is just different than the visitation number of parks like Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Grand Teton and Glacier. Regardless, GSMNP is a heck of a national treasure.

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
I have lived next door to the GSMNP for most of my life and have visited it a great many times.
When I see the attendance figures, I have to ask, how do they count people. There are several entrances with no way to count cars. No counters of any kind that I can see, yet so Millions visit each year. I have even asked at the Visitors center and can get no answer.

Most Parks have an entrance station where you have to pay. At least there you can count vehicles and get some idea of attendance.

It is crowded though. We were in Cades Cove Easter week end and it was bumper to bumper. Saw several deer, turkeys and one bear.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
11 million people visited the GSMNP last year. I see license plates from all over the country really and am amazed how big a draw this park and area is. We live about 20 miles outside of Sevierville/Pigeon Forge/ Gatlinburg and enjoy playing tourist in our own hometown area. Yes, it can be CRAZY BUSY with traffic but if you can find your patience there is so much to see and do for all ages you would have to work at being bored. Don't let the traffic keep you from visiting.

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
We go in late April of early May and the crowds are non-existant. Beautiful place to visit.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
What time of year and day? Start early, go in the off-season. Yes, it can be a pain.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board