cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RVing w/ Pit Bulls

Rock_Wells
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy, anyone experience any trouble taking pit bulls along? Found a beautiful pit mix I would like to adopt...
Rock & Nan Wells
'17 Ram Laramie 3500 Diesel 4x4
'17 Keystone Sprinter 297FWRLS FW
35 REPLIES 35

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
For those with rescue dogs that may or may not be pits, I recommend getting DNA testing through DNA My Dog. They actually do not include "pit bull" as a breed because it's not accurate. Instead, they identify breeds like staffordshire, boxer, bulldog, bull terrier, etc.

With that DNA test results, you can show it as proof that your dog is not a "pit bull".

Also, most insurance companies, etc., require you to identify 2 breeds for your mix - regardless of how many breeds are actually involved. They will not accept shepherd mix but they will accept shepherd/lab. With the DNA results, you can use two of the breeds to identify your dog and ignore the rest.

Growing up, I had a pure bred boxer. She was a very "poor" physical representation (white, squat, etc.). I cannot tell you how many times people accused her of being a pit bull. She's the only dog I ever trusted completely in any situation. I wish DNA testing was around then.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Deanoldo - I know exactly what you mean. I have two large dogs and one has fear issues. Every few camping trips, I run into folks who think because their dogs are small, cute, etc., that the leash laws don't apply. I have to be extra vigilant because my dogs will be blamed by default.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Deanoldo
Explorer
Explorer
We have a pittie/american bull dog mix. We just check in advance to make sure he's welcome, I can always spend my money at a campground where he is. We also make sure he's always on a leash because you run into people who are nervous of him. I wish owners of other dog breeds would leash their dogs as well. We were camping over Memorial day and had two unleashed dogs wander into our campsite. How do I know if they are friendly and if one had attacked my dog, which one do you think would have been blamed?

chag67
Explorer
Explorer
BizmarksMom wrote:
I have a pit bull, and a pit bull / hound mix. While many RV parks have breed restrictions, or weight restrictions, I have always been able to find a place to stay.

Forest service campgrounds, state parks, and BLM sites are all wide open to any breeds. With my dogs, I camp, hike, go to beaches, hang out at lakes, go fishing... They don't stop me from doing anything.

There's some real responsibility that comes along with pitbulls. 1) you have to know what areas have Breed Specific Laws, and avoid them. 2) I know people are nervous about my dogs, so they are never off leash, never out of control. If there is a fenced play area, I will let my 2 run and play with each other, but not with other dogs. (Mine are both very friendly and live with cats, I'm just not willing to chance other dogs starting fights.)

Having said all of that, I love pitties and wouldn't own any other breed. They are smart, loyal, calm, and I'm a complete sucker for their blocky heads and bodies. I even volunteer for a bully breed specific rescue.

I agree with you 100 percent. We got ours from a rescue. She was shelter abandoned by a lady that didn't realize that she would get as big as she did. 50 lbs at 7 months.
The blocky heads and bodies are so cute.
I also find that ours typically don't get a second look because her ears and tail are not cropped.

The only thing we are trying to deal with is that ours is only 8 months old and she doesn't mind so well right now. We are signing up for an obedience class really soon.

2018 Grand Design Solitude 379FLS

chag67
Explorer
Explorer
We have a German Shepherd (full blooded), Jack Russell mix, and a American Bulldog mix (looks like a pitbull but a bit taller and wider. There are bad dogs with every breed. My exMIL has a Chihuahua that is a dog from hell. It has bit my son twice (once was in the face). The dog is put away EVERY time my son visits now. The dog doesn't like anyone other than the exMIL.

As far as dog bite pressure. The bite pressure of our German Shepherd is stronger than the Pitbull, hence the reason German Shepherds are used for police and military.

I love dogs but the only 2 breeds of dogs that I am extremely uneasy around are Rotweilers and Doberman Pincers.

We plan on just asking when making reservations. If they ask what kind of dogs, I will simply state German Shepherd, Jack Russell, and American Bulldog mix. Our American Bulldog mix looks very similar to a pitbull. We keep our dogs on short leashes when outside the RV.

Always ask. If the campground states they allow dogs but do not say anything about breed restrictions, then just reserve your spot. Volunteering additional information that may nor may not be understood fully by the recipient is not a good idea (and not just in regards to dogs).
2018 Grand Design Solitude 379FLS

dougk53
Explorer
Explorer
snowpeke wrote:
Adopt a cute little dog

That is very ignorant on your part. I am not a fan of dogs to begin with but wife is. We have 2 adopted dogs about 30# each. Even though I feel this way I take dog ownership as an extremely great responsibility. They didn't ask to be born and only really want love and security and to give back the same. Frankly I am definitely not a fan of snake food dogs but they also deserve a secure loving environment. Whatever dog an individual chooses as long as they take responsibility for that life is all that matters.

Doug
2017 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 6.4 Hemi
2015 Flagstaff 27RLWS
2005 Road King
Doug,Virginia
5 Grandkids, Brianna,Frankie,Tyler,Tori,Jocelyn
Furkids, Buster,Samantha

Landroamer1
Explorer
Explorer
We had a male Pit/Boxer mix that never was aggressive towards anyone or other dogs. Unfortunately only lived 4 years when we lost him to a heart attack.
14 GMC 2500 HD D/A 2018 Wildcat 375 MC

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
I have a pit bull, and a pit bull / hound mix. While many RV parks have breed restrictions, or weight restrictions, I have always been able to find a place to stay.

Forest service campgrounds, state parks, and BLM sites are all wide open to any breeds. With my dogs, I camp, hike, go to beaches, hang out at lakes, go fishing... They don't stop me from doing anything.

There's some real responsibility that comes along with pitbulls. 1) you have to know what areas have Breed Specific Laws, and avoid them. 2) I know people are nervous about my dogs, so they are never off leash, never out of control. If there is a fenced play area, I will let my 2 run and play with each other, but not with other dogs. (Mine are both very friendly and live with cats, I'm just not willing to chance other dogs starting fights.)

Having said all of that, I love pitties and wouldn't own any other breed. They are smart, loyal, calm, and I'm a complete sucker for their blocky heads and bodies. I even volunteer for a bully breed specific rescue.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

Rock_Wells
Explorer
Explorer
Many thanks for your thoughts...
Rock & Nan Wells
'17 Ram Laramie 3500 Diesel 4x4
'17 Keystone Sprinter 297FWRLS FW

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
We have always traveled with a dog. Our previous chow and queensland were often not allowed in parks so we just found another. Our current lab is over the 80 lb. rule of many parks so we just find another park. My brother camps with us with 2 pit bulls and we often have to plan ahead for parks but have always found a spot.
Dogs are dogs. There are good and bad ones in every breed. Out of the three pit bulls my brother has had two are angels the third not so much.

Don't let an RV park's policy cheat you out of the chance to spend some quality years with a beautiful puppy. You can always find a place that will except them.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Rock Wells wrote:
Howdy, anyone experience any trouble taking pit bulls along? Found a beautiful pit mix I would like to adopt...

Your best bet is to buy a copy of the Trailer Life Campground Guide? All their campground listings will show if there's restrictions on pets: - you'll want to watch out for the "B" for breed; and maybe "S" for size? Most KOAs are dog-friendly.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
While some parks may restrict the breed, the issue always is the owner. Keep the dog leashed 100% of the time when outside, maybe even inside (so it can't run out the door when it is open)!

Find a comfortable muzzle for the dog. Get the used to wearing it BEFORE the trip.

raindove
Explorer
Explorer
Dogs are a combination of nature (genetics) and nurture (the way they are raised.) Due to poor breeding practices, there are some nasty dogs around that all the training is not going to change them. But not all are like that. There are some very sweet ones too. ANd this applies to every breed. I think there's more "to do" about pit bulls because when they do attack, they are a big dog, with strong jaws and can do massive damage in an instant.

I had a friend who is a dog lover. She adopted a pit bull puppy from a rescue -- oh, so sweet. She did everything right. Training classes from the start, socializing... she put everything she had in to raising this dog right.

Dog turned on her. She was attacked several times, with minor injuries. Even would get attacked laying in her own bed. Finally it got serious enough that she had no choice but to euthanize. It was heartbreaking for her as she really loved that dog. I am just grateful that she woke up before she was injured any more severely ... or even something worse happening.
Whatever hits the fan will not be evenly distributed.

Wanda

1998 Fleetwood Bounder

ford truck guy wrote:
RoyF wrote:
I question the idea that the trouble with pit bulls lies with the owners. An owner can be part of the problem, but there is a problem with the breed. Every breed of dog was developed for some purpose: terriers, retrievers, herding dogs, hunting dogs, all were bred for certain characteristics.

Pitbulls derive from dogs bred for fighting and bull bating. They were bred to to be aggressive, to bite and then hang on. In my opinion, the breed has no purpose in today's world and should be eliminated.

I agree with most of this.. not sure about the elimination part ?

just a week or so ago a very nice lady was killed near me by HER pitbull... She raised it from puppy, and was one of the nicest woman you would want to know. I USED to believe that it was the owners... not anymore

I love dogs, but do not trust them ( Pitbulls).. just my opinion
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet